Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2014 Hall of Fame Finalists Announced
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tatupu_64

Location: Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 2014 Hall of Fame Finalists Announced Reply with quote

_Iverson38 wrote:
Morten Andersen
Jerome Bettis
Derrick Brooks
Tim Brown
Eddie DeBartolo
Tony Dungy
Kevin Greene
Charles Haley
Marvin Harrison
Walter Jones
John Lynch
Andre Reed
Will Shields
Michael Strahan
Aeneas Williams

Weak class IMO.
Walter Jones is a top 5 LT all time at worst. How is he not a first ballet HOFer?

ram29jackson wrote:
LO freaking L...Seahawks aren't repeating crap and you can book that
Bobikus

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 2014 Hall of Fame Finalists Announced Reply with quote

Tatupu_64 wrote:
_Iverson38 wrote:
Morten Andersen
Jerome Bettis
Derrick Brooks
Tim Brown
Eddie DeBartolo
Tony Dungy
Kevin Greene
Charles Haley
Marvin Harrison
Walter Jones
John Lynch
Andre Reed
Will Shields
Michael Strahan
Aeneas Williams

Weak class IMO.
Walter Jones is a top 5 LT all time at worst. How is he not a first ballet HOFer?

It's Hall of FAME and everyone forgets Seahawks players that existed pre Pete Carroll era.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IrishGreen wrote:
lol at the lack of kevin greene on people's lists

dude should easily be a lock in this class. 160 sacks? fahgetabowtit

Why is it only Packer fans arguing for him? He never played for Green Bay. Confused
Badger75

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: 2014 Hall of Fame Finalists Announced Reply with quote

green24 wrote:
Badger75 wrote:
GaTechRavens wrote:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000311405/article/hall-of-fame-finalists-morten-andersen-surprisingly-gets-the-nod

Morten Andersen
Jerome Bettis
Derrick Brooks
Tim Brown
Eddie DeBartolo
Tony Dungy
Kevin Greene
Charles Haley
Marvin Harrison
Walter Jones
John Lynch
Andre Reed
Will Shields
Michael Strahan
Aeneas Williams

That is a deep bench of talent to choose from. No wonder the NFL is so popular. MLB needs to take note. Wink

Andersen, Brown, Dungy, Harrison

Wait what? MLB is having problems because the ballot is too overcrowded. 50% of voters used all 10 spots on their ballots, which shatters the previous record. There is a movement to eliminate the cap altogether, since voters are forced to leave off candidates that they believe are HOF worthy.

Baseball is the national pastime but is soooo sloow and antiquated in methods and set in it's ways unable to adapt Wink
Tatupu_64

Location: Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: 2014 Hall of Fame Finalists Announced Reply with quote

Bobikus wrote:
Tatupu_64 wrote:
_Iverson38 wrote:
Morten Andersen
Jerome Bettis
Derrick Brooks
Tim Brown
Eddie DeBartolo
Tony Dungy
Kevin Greene
Charles Haley
Marvin Harrison
Walter Jones
John Lynch
Andre Reed
Will Shields
Michael Strahan
Aeneas Williams

Weak class IMO.

It's Hall of FAME and everyone forgets Seahawks players that existed pre Pete Carroll era.
If the voters don't know how good Walter is they should be stripped of their voting responsibilities on the spot.

ram29jackson wrote:
LO freaking L...Seahawks aren't repeating crap and you can book that
LuckIsGOAT

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 2014 Hall of Fame Finalists Announced Reply with quote

Brooks
Harrison
Jones
Strahan
Lynch
Trailblazers
Canucks
Luck & RG3 fan
Nabbs4u

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vikefan79 wrote:
IrishGreen wrote:

Why is it only Packer fans arguing for him? He never played for Green Bay. Confused

It's not just Packer fans because he never played for the Eagles either. Maybe the fans saying Greene should be a given don't need Google search to know the man retired with the 2nd most sacks in NFL history. Yes even more then the mighty Michael Strahan who is making peoples list.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nabbs4u wrote:
Vikefan79 wrote:
IrishGreen wrote:

It's not just Packer fans because he never played for the Eagles either. Maybe the fans saying Greene should be a given don't need Google search to know the man retired with the 2nd most sacks in NFL history. Yes even more then the mighty Michael Strahan who is making peoples list.

Honestly I put Strahan on my list because he is who I think will go in this year, not who I think deserves it this year. Let's face it though, guys who were great to the media will always get that little boost when it comes voting time. I can't think of too many players who fit that bill like Strahan does. He deserves the Hof but I would put Greene in this year if I had a vote.

Location: Canada, but don't worry... i'm not one of those damn dirty french.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

God damn, I swear Tim Brown is never going to get in!!!!!

First jersey purchased: Jamarcus Russell.
Second jersey purchased: Rolando McClain.
Next purchases: Every Chiefs, Chargers and Broncos player.
JTagg7754 on the sig.
Nabbs4u

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seriously27 wrote:
Nabbs4u wrote:
Vikefan79 wrote:
IrishGreen wrote:

Honestly I put Strahan on my list because he is who I think will go in this year, not who I think deserves it this year. Let's face it though, guys who were great to the media will always get that little boost when it comes voting time. I can't think of too many players who fit that bill like Strahan does. He deserves the Hof but I would put Greene in this year if I had a vote.

Also doesn't hurt that one retired 6 years ago and is a fixture on TV on a daily/weekly basis and the other retired almost 20 years ago and never seen because he's a posistion coach in the NFL.

Nabbs4u wrote:
Derrick Brooks
Tim Brown
Walter Jones
Charles Haley
Kevin Greene

Glad to see people finally defending the one person who might deserve it over the majority. Greene has been completely over looked for years considering his production on the field. Out of sight out of mind. Not only should he get in over Strahan but He should be lock.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vikefan79 wrote:
IrishGreen wrote:

Its not only Packer fans.. I think maybe just the few of us on here old enough to remember him play?

He was a dominate player. Not one dimensional. Really it makes no sense that he isn't in already. Maybe it has something to do with him trying to choke out Steele on the sidelines in 98 (I think).
green24

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 2014 Hall of Fame Finalists Announced Reply with quote

Badger75 wrote:
green24 wrote:
Badger75 wrote:
GaTechRavens wrote:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000311405/article/hall-of-fame-finalists-morten-andersen-surprisingly-gets-the-nod

Morten Andersen
Jerome Bettis
Derrick Brooks
Tim Brown
Eddie DeBartolo
Tony Dungy
Kevin Greene
Charles Haley
Marvin Harrison
Walter Jones
John Lynch
Andre Reed
Will Shields
Michael Strahan
Aeneas Williams

That is a deep bench of talent to choose from. No wonder the NFL is so popular. MLB needs to take note. Wink

Andersen, Brown, Dungy, Harrison

Wait what? MLB is having problems because the ballot is too overcrowded. 50% of voters used all 10 spots on their ballots, which shatters the previous record. There is a movement to eliminate the cap altogether, since voters are forced to leave off candidates that they believe are HOF worthy.

Baseball is the national pastime but is soooo sloow and antiquated in methods and set in it's ways unable to adapt Wink

Not sure how this really relates to the HOF, but they did just add instant replay today…
Dunderhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncos67 wrote:
Another year without Karl Mecklenberg. Absolutely ridiculous that he hasn't gotten in yet.

Why would he be in the HOF? He was a very good player, but not all time best or best of his era type. Very good; not great.
sn0mm1s

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dunderhead wrote:
broncos67 wrote:
Another year without Karl Mecklenberg. Absolutely ridiculous that he hasn't gotten in yet.

Why would he be in the HOF? He was a very good player, but not all time best or best of his era type. Very good; not great.

Mecklenburg had 6 Pro bowl selection and 3 all pro selections. The only LBs that had more than that while he played were Singletary and LT. He had as many pro bowls as Rickey Jackson (with 3 more all pros) and Jackson is in the HOF. Derrick Thomas ended up with 9 PBs and 2 APs and is in. Andre Tippett 5/2 and Carson 9/0 also played at that time and are in the HOF. If Haley gets in that is another player whose career overlapped (5/2).

As far as accolades (depending how you rate APs vs. PBs) the only guys that were obviously better than him were Singletary, LT, and Seau. He played on 6 top 10 scoring defenses, 3 top 5 scoring defenses. His resume is pretty strong for the era.
Jakuvious

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sn0mm1s wrote:

Mecklenburg had 6 Pro bowl selection and 3 all pro selections. The only LBs that had more than that while he played were Singletary and LT. He had as many pro bowls as Rickey Jackson (with 3 more all pros) and Jackson is in the HOF. Derrick Thomas ended up with 9 PBs and 2 APs and is in. Andre Tippett 5/2 and Carson 9/0 also played at that time and are in the HOF. If Haley gets in that is another player whose career overlapped (5/2).

As far as accolades (depending how you rate APs vs. PBs) the only guys that were obviously better than him were Singletary, LT, and Seau. He played on 6 top 10 scoring defenses, 3 top 5 scoring defenses. His resume is pretty strong for the era.

Harry Carson was a 2 time all-pro. Just a minor correction there, since it does make some difference for the argument.

I think there is a difference worth noting that some of the guys you're comparing him to there are pass rushing OLBs. Tippett, Jackson, and Thomas were all rush OLBs. And many of them were doing it when making all-pro meant competing for one spot, because LT basically had the other locked down for a solid decade or so.

If you look at just MLBs and ILBs, the only guys from that period that are in the hall are Singletary and Carson, both of whom do have better accolades to their name than Mecklenburg (you admit Singletary yourself, and I'd argue Carson's 9 pro-bowls, 2 first team all-pros, and 4 second team all-pros as superior to what Mecklenburg had.)

So when we look at him just in the scope of his own position, it looks a bit different. There's really nobody in from that era that wasn't better than him, and most of the guys behind him aren't terribly noteworthy, to be honest. Really, the next to come to mind to me from around then is Sam Mills, and not many are pushing for him to make the hall.

It's really just a case where there aren't that many MLBs from that era that were noteworthy, and Mecklenburg toes the line between hall and not by being kind of less than memorable, but still better than just about anybody else that was playing then. And even still, the guy lost out on the all-decade team to someone who played like 3 seasons.

I don't know, I guess to me, he's one of those guys where if he makes the hall, I'd say congrats and well-deserved. But when he doesn't, it really just doesn't seem like that big of a deal to me.

Adopt-a-Chief: Travis "Better Than Tony Moeaki" Kelce
Pre-Season: 5 receptions, 132 yards, 2 TDs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10

Jump to: