Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Lions hire Jim Caldwell
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fortdetroit

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nagahide13 wrote:
fortdetroit wrote:
diamondbull424 wrote:

Many people want flexible coaching... and I think Caldwell brings that to the table.

If this is true then it's great news. My biggest issue with Schwartz and company is that they just kept doing the same thing over and over and over and over and over again and never adjusted to the game situation, score, players being out with injuries, etc.

I put that almost entirely on Linehan. Schwartz was equally stubborn, but it didn't cost us nearly as much. Gunny actually adjusted. The defense improved year to year.

Our offensive system was pathetic despite the fantastic job Washburn did with the O-line.

Basically Gunny was fine, Schwartz was bad, and Linnehan was by far the worst.

IMO Schwartz's stubbornness mostly showed up in personnel choices. He gave players wayyyyy too long of a leash for poor performance and seemed scared to play any young player that wasn't a first round pick.
fortdetroit

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spartica4Real wrote:
Something I just noticed...

Isn't Teryl Austin a 3-4 coach? It's been reported that one of the main reason Whiz didn't go to Detroit was because they didn't want to run a 3-4.

Admittedly, I don't know much about Austin's past, but he is currently a Ravens coach, and since they run a 3-4...

Saw on twitter somewhere that he's going to run 4-3 here.
DontTazeMeBro

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nagahide13 wrote:

Do people really think Baltimore's offensive struggles were Caldwell's fault?

Id put the lions share of the blame on the interior OL. I don't think there's much you can do when your LG and C are barely NFL caliber players.

Free Ray Rice
spiritoftruth

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nagahide13 wrote:
Also, just throwing this out there...

Do people really think Baltimore's offensive struggles were Caldwell's fault? I'm certainly not saying that he did a great job... But did we expect him to run a successful offense with that o-line? With Rice losing all of his skill and athleticism AND having to play through injury? With Flacco playing hurt, having no reliable targets, and finishing the season with the 2nd most sacks taken?

Caldwell obviously shouldn't be given praise for being carried to a SB by Manning, but he also shouldn't be trashed for his final seasons in Indy and Balt.

I certainly don't put the blame on Caldwell for the 2013 offense. I agree with your assessment of our personnel. But when Cam Cameron was fired, and Caldwell was promoted to OC last year for our playoff run, he basically just made a couple tweaks that anyone who had been watching the Ravens, knew we had to make. Those tweaks proved to be good enough to take us to the Superbowl. So I'm not sure how much credit he can be given for that either.

What you can take away from Caldwell's stay in Baltimore, is that Flacco improved tremendously in almost all aspects of his game under Caldwell's tutelage.

NextBigThing wrote:
I am a Patriots fan, I know all about excellence.
X_Factor_40

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fortdetroit wrote:
Spartica4Real wrote:
Something I just noticed...

Isn't Teryl Austin a 3-4 coach? It's been reported that one of the main reason Whiz didn't go to Detroit was because they didn't want to run a 3-4.

Admittedly, I don't know much about Austin's past, but he is currently a Ravens coach, and since they run a 3-4...

Saw on twitter somewhere that he's going to run 4-3 here.

The Lions front office is unwilling to switch from the 4-3 from everything I've heard, which makes sense because they think they're a playoff team with the right coaching right now.

Team Stylish313
vikes22

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feel sorry for Lions fans. nothing ever goes their way and this signing is icing on the proverbial cake.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People are defending Caldwell? Guy is a awful HC period. Would have been better to give a unknown a shot over going with a known loser.

Caldwell is a coach that you know your team can outcoach.

Personally, I would have hired Rob Ryan. Get a defensive guy that can make their defense better, as their offense will be good with Stafford and Johnson.

Props to El Ramster on the sig
coors

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just not sure about this hire. When thinking about Caldwell, I just can't think of what his "identity" is that he brings to a team. IMO his time in Indy was all about Peyton, and last year in Baltimore his offense was not good. Not sure what to think..

edit--

after thinking about it, if he can bring in a legit OC to run the offense, I think the hire could be better then I thought. If Caldwell is only there to "oversee" the team, while somebody else is running the offense, I think it could work. Caldwell is a guy who should be able to get the team better disciplined, and handle things like that. If there is a solid OC with him, I think it could be good for Stafford and the team.

Last edited by coors on Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
skatebeanz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D.Revis24 wrote:
People are defending Caldwell? Guy is a awful HC period. Would have been better to give a unknown a shot over going with a known loser.

Personally, I would have hired Rob Ryan. Get a defensive guy that can make their defense better, as their offense will be good with Stafford and Johnson.
So just do what they did with their last 2 coaches? A defensive up and comer?

I'd never want Rob running my team.

Sig bet
Spartica4Real

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D.Revis24 wrote:

Stay away from Rob. He must stay with us.

D.Revis24

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skatebeanz wrote:
D.Revis24 wrote:

So just do what they did with their last 2 coaches? A defensive up and comer?

I'd never want Rob running my team.

I'm glad you are happy with the hire. Good luck

Props to El Ramster on the sig
Nnivolcm

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D.Revis24 wrote:

Isn't Rob Ryan 100% a 3-4 guy? We'd have to start over with our front 7 and we have a lot of good pieces there already for a 4-3.

Team Stylish

Thanks to IDOG for the sig!
El Duderino

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nnivolcm wrote:
D.Revis24 wrote:

Isn't Rob Ryan 100% a 3-4 guy? We'd have to start over with our front 7 and we have a lot of good pieces there already for a 4-3.

He ran a 4-3 in his Oakland years.
Spartica4Real

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nnivolcm wrote:
D.Revis24 wrote:

He's ran mostly 4-2-5 here. I'd say he's just flexible. Our DL and secondary are by far the strongest points of our defense while our LBs are the worst. He'd adjust to personnel, I'm confident about that.

No one take him away though.

49erurtaza

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the point in this hire is that they wanted a offensive minded coach who can control his team and make them mature. also they wanted a coach who wouldn't go crazy showing his feelings, but they picked a coach who doesn't have any feelings at all except for his bored face

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 11 of 12

Jump to: