Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

What are we doing at CB????

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Duffman57

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:56 pm    Post subject: What are we doing at CB???? Reply with quote

I just went looking through our CBs when i was looking at LBC's post of the depth chart. 1 simple question. WHAT THE HELL ARE WE DOING.

We literally went out and signed more than a few 6'+ really athletic CB's since Telesco's been here (Ghee, Cromartie, Brandon Jones, Crezdon Butler and obviously Cox), and then have played them all out of position in lots of off zone and some off man, with almost no press coverage at all, and not very much man bail coverage.

From what i can make of it, its gotta be one of two things...

1. There's a big disconnect between FO and coaches, or at least defensive coaches (the offensive coaches seem to click perfectly with this FO).

2. The types of stuff that we did predominantly last year, was not our intention, and injuries among other things forced us to play some coverage that hid our lack of a pass rush. Which brings on the question of cutting Derek Cox. If we didn't want to do what we did last year, why not give Cox a second chance and play him where/how we wanted to play him in the first place. Could very well be that Cox just acted like a punk, Cromartie style and the coaches just weren't going to deal with him anymore.

I dont know, but unless its just awful coaching, i'm not sure what to make of our CB situation anymore...

Rammy da best sigmaker of all time!

MrDrew wrote:
Everything about Rivers is Awkward, reminiscent of a Giraffe with Down's Syndrome
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I flatly don't trust Ron Milus because I've yet to see evidence of him being a good DB's coach anywhere in his tenure with any team. The best cases that can be made for him are the performances of Champ Bailey and Chris Gamble - but those are also Champ Bailey and Chris Gamble, both very proven and quality CB's prior to and after Milus' arrival/departure with the Broncos and Panthers respectively.

As for the scheme, it's rather difficult to really peg. We went from running a good deal of Cover-1 in Pagano's first two years, continually suffering from lack of pass-rush and giving up big plays largely because Weddle was the only competent tackler (outside of Jammer who just didn't have the legs to run with anyone anymore), but otherwise limiting them and just getting nickel- and dimed to death by teams while failing to get off the field on 3rd down. Last season we started to see much more of a Cover-3 shell, but still lacking true aggression with any consistency. Personnel - due to injuries and in some cases just plain lack of talent - was an obvious concern, but so was total lack of depth and - where I'm most concerned - lack of identity.

Thus far the identity of this defense seems to be that they're going to roll over for the opposition at some point of a game (whether early or late becomes the operative question of the given day). The "bend but don't break" philosophy is a nice mantra, but as a mantra and mentality it's pretty counterproductive in the modern NFL where QB's and OC's are emphasizing high-percentage offense, "taking what's given," and creating/exploiting mismatches. The main issue seems to be that once there is a break, there's not enough done to adapt and seal the break, and so it's exploited again and again until it's a full blown gash.

With the coverage scheme we showed last season (Cover-3), despite the example people will point to (Seattle) for it, the sheer size of guys isn't as relevant as positional awareness and general football IQ - it's absolutely essential to zone-coverage.

I don't believe the soft cushions were a product solely of the injuries to personnel - they've been with this team far longer than our lacking pass-rush has; Cottrell used them heavily, so did Manusky, so did Rivera initially before finally making an adjustment (and even then we weren't pressing guys at the line). And that's where I still have my major reservations about Pagano. I believe Milus (and a fair chunk of our defensive assistants outside of Don Johnson) is content to just copycat whatever the Flavor of the Month in the league is, whether he actually has the ingredients to create that flavor on his roster or not. He doesn't have an established identity or vision of his own. Maybe Pagano has that, maybe he doesn't (I'm fearful that really he's just trying to copycat the guys who came before him who had success like Wade and Rivera, as well as his brother - who really isn't anything fantastic himself... that Baltimore defensive identity and scheme has been resolute and remained even since Rex Ryan was there and has endured, Chuck P was just among the number to inherit the clipboard).

With Pete Carroll it's very clear that he has a clear-cut vision, model, and identity by why he builds and continues to supplement his defense; and he has brought in guys who already know that identity as well as jumps to grab guys who share pushing it. The same can be said of Rex, of Harbaugh/Fangio.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any shot the Chargers pick Stanly Jean-Baptiste??

^ Joe_is_the_best with the sig.
Duffman57

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iLikeDefense wrote:

I really hope not...he doesn't fit what we do at all...gets more hype for being big and having ball skills than actually being able to cover anyone...Gilbert gets the same thing.

Rammy da best sigmaker of all time!

MrDrew wrote:
Everything about Rivers is Awkward, reminiscent of a Giraffe with Down's Syndrome
iLikeDefense

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duffman57 wrote:
iLikeDefense wrote:

I really hope not...he doesn't fit what we do at all...gets more hype for being big and having ball skills than actually being able to cover anyone...Gilbert gets the same thing.

Well I guess that shot hasn't been fired yet. I do agree with what you said but I thought TT wanted bigger corners but I guess the Verret pick speaks otherwise, he wants hardworking football players.

^ Joe_is_the_best with the sig.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: