Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Minimalism (GTFIH)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Did you find the following thread helpful/thought-provoking?
yes
57%
 57%  [ 8 ]
no
42%
 42%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 14

Flaccomania

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eagles101 wrote:

i was making a joke of how he said to buy high quality of what you enjoy. but if you enjoy a bunch of junk it ruins that.

It doesn't ruin it because it doesn't apply to the idea. That's the whole point. If you enjoy a bunch of junk, then you aren't a minimalist and thus none of this is applicable.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flaccomania wrote:
eagles101 wrote:

i was making a joke of how he said to buy high quality of what you enjoy. but if you enjoy a bunch of junk it ruins that.

It doesn't ruin it because it doesn't apply to the idea. That's the whole point. If you enjoy a bunch of junk, then you aren't a minimalist and thus none of this is applicable.

welp now you ruined the joke for me.

props to deadpulse

vikingsvikings wrote:

I don't understand most of that, but I can tell it's probably inaccurate.
IrishGreen

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bucsfan333 wrote:
Aside from my bed and couches, I can fit everything I own in my Durango. Does that count?

yes

El Ramster on the amazing work
iLikeDefense

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife and I try to do our best to have a self-sufficiency lifestyle, we definitely are homesteading for the most part. I guess that is sort of minimalist. Once I moved out of my parents house when I got married, I literally gave a lot of my junk away and I don't regret it. Although I did keep my TV, iMac, clothes (which are for work--formal stuff) and some precious things to me.

^ Joe_is_the_best with the sig.
BornToFly

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've really adapted an attitude as of late that less is more. I've been selling my stuff like crazy on facebook. I simply have way to much stuff and it ends up being clutter. I use to think buying something new and shiny would make me happier, but really in the end, the stuff me more more sad, cause it didn't find me happiness.

I've been doing pretty good. Haven't bought any clothing in probably 6 months. I did buy a new tv in Dec, but my old tv a was 15 years old box. I've been downsizing like crazy, and it actually makes me feel pretty good selling this stuff.

Thanks BenderRodriguez for the sig!
BornToFly's Relationship Advice v.17
IrishGreen

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BornToFly wrote:
I've really adapted an attitude as of late that less is more. I've been selling my stuff like crazy on facebook. I simply have way to much stuff and it ends up being clutter. I use to think buying something new and shiny would make me happier, but really in the end, the stuff me more more sad, cause it didn't find me happiness.

I've been doing pretty good. Haven't bought any clothing in probably 6 months. I did buy a new tv in Dec, but my old tv a was 15 years old box. I've been downsizing like crazy, and it actually makes me feel pretty good selling this stuff.

awesome! yea this is exactly what i'm talking about.

nothing wrong with buying things, just gotta make sure you're gonna use it. and i'm sure you got rid of your old tv.

if people would really go all their things and ask themselves truthfully "will i ever use this again, or when was the last time i used this?" they'd be shocked at how much they really don't use/need.

BornToFly

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IrishGreen wrote:
BornToFly wrote:

awesome! yea this is exactly what i'm talking about.

nothing wrong with buying things, just gotta make sure you're gonna use it. and i'm sure you got rid of your old tv.

if people would really go all their things and ask themselves truthfully "will i ever use this again, or when was the last time i used this?" they'd be shocked at how much they really don't use/need.

Oh yea, I let a family in need have it for free.

I also just started to notice, that I had a ton of clothes, and many of it was really casual jeans and t shirts type of stuff.....well, for 5 days a week, I have to wear business attire....there was no need for me to have 8 jeans, and 20 t shirts. I simply can't wear them all, and I usually end up wearing the same stuff on the weekends anyway ( ei: my favs ) so I'm currently selling the rest for some extra bucks.

Thanks BenderRodriguez for the sig!
BornToFly's Relationship Advice v.17
J Pep 4 Step

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first wife loved to fill our spaces with crap. It drove me nuts. I mean, you couldn't bump into a table without knocking over some stupid figurines. Crap was everywhere. When we split up I did her a favor (spitefully) and emptied my house onto the curb. I kept like 3 boxes of stuff. And it was very liberating. Two years later, when I moved across country, I left with what I could fit in the cab of my pickup. 8 years later, when I moved my family across country, it was time to downsize again. We left with what we could fit in the back of the explorer. We keep things light.

I'm not saying its right or wrong. I don't consider myself any type of minimalist. Or any kind if -ist. In fact, I generally think anyone who describes them self as an -ist of any kind is a pretentious [inappropriate/removed]. But I do find advantages in keeping things light. And keeping yourself mobile. But once you're settled and secure and you start to build a root system, there is absolutely nothing wrong with acquiring and holding on to extras.

CK on the sig
mission27

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Minimalism (GTFIH) Reply with quote

IrishGreen wrote:
i'm telling you, this is the way to live brahs. most of us are fairly young and have the chance to start our lives this way. don't get caught up in the consumerism trap of america.

I don't buy it. You are undoubtedly the most shallow, superficial person I have ever been in contact with in my entire life. When people stop talking to you because you can't 3D print your own sushi, I'm sure you'll come around.

NextBigThing wrote:
I am supremely confident Taylor Swift would date me if we ever met.

#JDI
iPwn

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J Pep 4 Step wrote:
But once you're settled and secure and you start to build a root system, there is absolutely nothing wrong with acquiring and holding on to extras.
I agree with this. I'm probably always going to be quasi-minimalist though outside of digital collections. For me, its me taking the opposite side of the spectrum from my family, whom have a lot of hoarding tendencies. I'll hoard digital media (mainly music, but eBooks, audio books too), but physical items, I feel I need to keep light in order to not let myself fall into the same traps. It's much more aesthetically pleasing to have 1,000 digital albums on a singly hard drive all organized within iTunes than 500 records and 300 books just sitting in a corner, collecting dust.

But if you're good with having a lot of stuff, don't let it get unnecessarily cluttered, more power to you.

- Best since day one -
The road to success is always under construction - Gus Bradley

Last edited by iPwn on Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
IrishGreen

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Minimalism (GTFIH) Reply with quote

mission27 wrote:
IrishGreen wrote:
i'm telling you, this is the way to live brahs. most of us are fairly young and have the chance to start our lives this way. don't get caught up in the consumerism trap of america.

I don't buy it. You are undoubtedly the most shallow, superficial person I have ever been in contact with in my entire life. When people stop talking to you because you can't 3D print your own sushi, I'm sure you'll come around.

mission27

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Minimalism (GTFIH) Reply with quote

IrishGreen wrote:
mission27 wrote:
IrishGreen wrote:

<3

NextBigThing wrote:
I am supremely confident Taylor Swift would date me if we ever met.

#JDI
VYoung10

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a realist.
I also believe that you only live once, and whats the point of going to your grave with money? There is none.
Bernard Pollard #31
Marc Mariani #83
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VYoung10 wrote:
I'm a realist.
I also believe that you only live once, and whats the point of going to your grave with money? There is none.

Except leaving money to your children to better their situations?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flaccomania wrote:
VYoung10 wrote:
I'm a realist.

Except leaving money to your children to better their situations?
Or charities, hospitals, research programs, etc.

My great, great aunt left a couple million dollars to Lucile Packard children's hospital when she died (there's a wing named in her honor now), and that money has directly gone towards saving many children's lives. I can't imagine that her blowing all that money on cars and houses and even more trips across the world and whatever else to fill her house would have been nearly as beneficial. Now, realistically, my extra money won't have anywhere near that level of impact, but it certainly can make a difference.

- Best since day one -
The road to success is always under construction - Gus Bradley

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: