Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

US Patent office has cancelled the Redskins trademark
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IrishGreen

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i knew the "it's not targeted at you so it doesn't offend you" argument was coming.

like clockwork.

-Hope- wrote:
IrishGreen wrote:
secondly, no, because those don't have positive connotations with pretty much all people. i've never heard of anyone using "redskin" as an insult. and my state has a solid native american population, so it's not like i'm some ignorant idiot.

It doesn't matter that you think it has positive connotations. Frankly, your opinion as a non-Native American couldn't matter less about this. Laughing

Again, the study done by the trademark dept. found that 39% of the Native Americans they asked were offended. That's not an insignificant number.

what did the other 61% think? what if they thought it was cool? what if 39% were offended, 39% thought it was endearing, and 22% were indifferent? then where do we stand?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KennyBania wrote:
Any suggestions on a new name?

Warriors?

This just makes so much sense! You can keep the logo, yet this name honors Native Americans, instead of disparaging them, like the current name does.
Webmaster

Site Admin
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This topic is pretty much out of the bounds of our forum rules, but we are trying to keep it open. Please get back on topic to something somewhat football related or this will get locked. Stop discussing the Fighting Irish, the Indians and other team names. Stop bringing up other slurs. Stop debating whether you think the name is offensive or not.

Will this force the Washington Redskins to change their name? Will the NFL appeal? Is there a way for the team to keep the logo and change the name to something else? Etc.

Last edited by Webmaster on Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
stillersenat

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Webmaster wrote:
This topic is pretty much out of the bounds of our forum rules, but we are trying to keep it open. Please get back on topic to something somewhat football related or this will get locked. Stop discussing the Fighting Irish and the Indians. Stop bringing up other slurs. Stop debating whether you find this offensive or not.

Will this force the Washington Redskins to change their name? Will the NFL appeal? Is there a way for the team to keep the logo and change the name to something else? Etc.

You bet there will be an appeal. Time for dragged out negotiations to begin.

Any escape might help to smooth the unattractive truth but the suburbs have no charms to soothe the restless dreams of youth
J Pep 4 Step

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stillersenat wrote:
Webmaster wrote:
This topic is pretty much out of the bounds of our forum rules, but we are trying to keep it open. Please get back on topic to something somewhat football related or this will get locked. Stop discussing the Fighting Irish and the Indians. Stop bringing up other slurs. Stop debating whether you find this offensive or not.

I think the Skins will appeal. I'm not sure how involved the NFL will want to be. Other teams, and the NFL as a whole, may decide to distance themselves for obvious reasons.

CK on the sig
Iggles

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stillersenat wrote:
Webmaster wrote:

This is actually the result of an appeal by Snyder, so his options are increasingly limited.
IrishGreen

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Warriors" isn't any better if you wanna get rid of "Redskins"

Marquette got rid of Warriors for the same reason Redskins is being fought.

I think all mascots representing or referencing groups of people will have to be changed soon, so no sense in bringing it back.

I don't see how the logo can be kept at all either.

If Redskins goes, won't Chiefs have to go? Also, what's the ruling on Vikings? Any implications on Buccaneers, Patriots, Texans, Cowboys?

Not trying to start anything, but it's all or nothing imo. You can't be a hypocrite about this stuff. This ruling has a lot of implications, especially to the NFL and college teams.

Last edited by IrishGreen on Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:02 pm; edited 4 times in total
Ataal

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an interesting read on the etymology of the word "redskin."

http://www.slate.com/blogs/lexicon_valley/2013/12/18/redskins_the_debate_over_the_washington_football_team_s_name_incorrectly.html

I guess when it comes down to it, it's all irrelevant. If someone is offended, they're offended. I mean, I've never, in my life, heard the term "redskin" outside of the NFL. And, I grew up in one of the most intolerant states in the nation. Quite possibly the most intolerant.

What that tells me is that the name of the football team most likely took an offensive term, at the time, and made it no more offensive than any other word. If anything, this trademark lawsuit, has drudged up the past and placed this word right back where it was 100 years ago. Doing quite the opposite of the original intent, I imagine.

Am I advocating they keep the name? No. Sometimes you need to make the call you don't want to in the best interests of everyone involved. Teams change their names all the time for FAR less of a controversial reason. Why is this one so sacred? It's hard not to draw a conclusion as to the reason for that, but it would probably be against the rules to discuss it here.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something like this would be great.

- Best since day one -
The road to success is always under construction - Gus Bradley
Stinkmeanest

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ataal wrote:
Here's an interesting read on the etymology of the word "redskin."

http://www.slate.com/blogs/lexicon_valley/2013/12/18/redskins_the_debate_over_the_washington_football_team_s_name_incorrectly.html

I guess when it comes down to it, it's all irrelevant. If someone is offended, they're offended. I mean, I've never, in my life, heard the term "redskin" outside of the NFL. And, I grew up in one of the most intolerant states in the nation. Quite possibly the most intolerant.

What that tells me is that the name of the football team most likely took an offensive term, at the time, and made it no more offensive than any other word. If anything, this trademark lawsuit, has drudged up the past and placed this word right back where it was 100 years ago. Doing quite the opposite of the original intent, I imagine.

Am I advocating they keep the name? No. Sometimes you need to make the call you don't want to in the best interests of everyone involved. Teams change their names all the time for FAR less of a controversial reason. Why is this one so sacred? It's hard not to draw a conclusion as to the reason for that, but it would probably be against the rules to discuss it here.

Really interesting read. You have a great point about the attention backfiring. The name had lost all meaning and only now with all the attention have I ever had any negative association with it. This whole thing reminds me of the South Park episode about the bikers...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iPwn wrote:

Something like this would be great.

prolly the best bet. although "Razorbacks" would be best imo. Keeps the R and general length of the word in tact

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheOsprey wrote:
KennyBania wrote:

Warriors?

This just makes so much sense! You can keep the logo, yet this name honors Native Americans, instead of disparaging them, like the current name does.
And Washington Warriors rolls off the tongue pretty well

R.I.P. Stylish
TheOsprey

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IrishGreen wrote:

I think all mascots representing or referencing groups of people will have to be changed soon, so no sense in bringing it back.

If Redskins goes, won't Chiefs have to go? Also, what's the ruling on Vikings? Any implications on Buccaneers, Patriots, Texans, Cowboys?

Not trying to start anything, but it's all or nothing imo. You can't be a hypocrite about this stuff. This ruling has a lot of implications, especially to the NFL and college teams.

Warrior is the same thing as Brave. Both terms were used by Native Americans to refer to the men who defended their tribe. They were essentially soldiers for the tribes. Those terms honor Native Americans. It's the exact opposite of "Redskins." It's comparing apples to airplanes.
IrishGreen

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IDOG_det wrote:
TheOsprey wrote:
KennyBania wrote:

Warriors?

And Washington Warriors rolls off the tongue pretty well

you can't get rid of redskins and use warriors. see my above post.

to be offended by redskins but not warriors is hypocritical, as warriors refers to native americans. check the history on every team with that name.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheOsprey wrote:
IrishGreen wrote:

Warrior is the same thing as Brave. Both terms were used by Native Americans to refer to the men who defended their tribe. They were essentially soldiers for the tribes. Those terms honor Native Americans. It's the exact opposite of "Redskins." It's comparing apples to airplanes.

no it's not. Marquette used Warriors and had this same issue. It's not different at all.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 7 of 14

Jump to: