Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

US Patent office has cancelled the Redskins trademark
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
-Hope-

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IrishGreen wrote:
ohiogenius wrote:
Okay some people seem to be missing some basic grasp on this topic.

Blackhawks named after Blackhawk (a leader/person)
Indians what we stupidly call Native Americans (group of people)
Redskins (derogatory term)

For example you can make a team and call it Chicago Luthors (in honor of MLK Jr)
You can also make a team and call it Chicago Blacks. Stupid but go for it (group of people)
You cant make a team and call it Chicago N***ers (derogatory term)

All or nothing makes no sense because Indians, Chiefs, Blackhawk, Seminoles arent offensive terms. They are identifiers of some part of Native Americans.

yea, i don't think anyone in here is not grasping the term. plenty of native americans don't like to be used as mascots, period.

it's not just the name, it's the making a parody of their lifestyle part.

this opens a whole can of worms. people can pretend like it doesn't, but it does.

It certainly does and it certainly should, and I do think that Chiefs and Seminoles fans wearing headdresses and stuff is pretty crappy, and think it would be great if those teams requested that fans stop doing that. I understand what you're getting at with the "all or nothing" thing but I think you're running with it a little more than is reasonable.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IrishGreen wrote:

And its done in an endearing way that honors the tradition of that mascot. There is no honor in the name Redskin if many find it offensive.

Should fans be banned from dressing up like Vikings, Native Americans, Pirates, etc? Do these groups really take offense to that action? Probably not. That really isnt part of the issue here. Its the use of a recognized slang term that is what is offensive.

Last edited by vikingsrule on Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
J Pep 4 Step

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louis Friend wrote:
NormSizedMidget wrote:
Louis Friend wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:
For those that support a name change, this is a small victory. Eventually, if Snyder loses money over trademark rights the other team owners will intervene. Snyder would have a duty to the other league owners to give in if he is directly costing them revenue for being stubborn.

I don't understand the complaints. It's been determined that Redskins is offensive and racist, and is a derogatory name. I'm not sure why people are throwing teams like the Vikings, Indians, and braves into this. These aren't offensive and are merely terms to describe a group.

Determined by whom? Every poll done in regards to the name/logo show overwhelming support.

It's a travesty that this has gone on as long as it has. Some people just can't admit defeat though.

http://cips.csusb.edu/docs/PressRelease.pdf

Quote:
The neutral category played a significant role for whites in allowing them to not be seen as “racist”

Obvious unbiased poll. Laughing I also like that the "white" votes came predominantly from "pow wows". Laughing

Oh, that poll isnt scientific enough and objective enough?

Could you show us all the super scientific and objective polls that show overwhelming support for the name?

I mean, its amazing you would bring up polls in this as some means of valid support, and then try and minimize a poll for being what it is. Laughing

CK on the sig
KingOfTheDot

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Redskins are using the derogatory term and making it stand for something positive, they honor those who were called that name with their play on the football field
I know right. Standing with his mother, they looked like a married couple.

Jameis Winston wrote:
I said, we said, uh, I said

#LuckAllDay
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingOfTheDot wrote:
Redskins are using the derogatory term and making it stand for something positive, they honor those who were called that name with their play on the football field

That play landed them the second overall pick. Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-Hope- wrote:
IrishGreen wrote:
ohiogenius wrote:
Okay some people seem to be missing some basic grasp on this topic.

Blackhawks named after Blackhawk (a leader/person)
Indians what we stupidly call Native Americans (group of people)
Redskins (derogatory term)

For example you can make a team and call it Chicago Luthors (in honor of MLK Jr)
You can also make a team and call it Chicago Blacks. Stupid but go for it (group of people)

All or nothing makes no sense because Indians, Chiefs, Blackhawk, Seminoles arent offensive terms. They are identifiers of some part of Native Americans.

yea, i don't think anyone in here is not grasping the term. plenty of native americans don't like to be used as mascots, period.

this opens a whole can of worms. people can pretend like it doesn't, but it does.

It certainly does and it certainly should, and I do think that Chiefs and Seminoles fans wearing headdresses and stuff is pretty crappy, and think it would be great if those teams requested that fans stop doing that. I understand what you're getting at with the "all or nothing" thing but I think you're running with it a little more than is reasonable.

my main thing is, if you're offended by something, you're offended by it. i'm not native american, so i can't make that call. like i said, i get it. redskins is probably the most offensive "name" out of of all of them, but this brings to light more issues. i know for a fact that many (if not most) native americans don't like it when people mock their chants, their headdresses, their customs, etc. i would wager that it bugs them just as much, if not more than a name.

i just don't know how you can say "ok, now redskins is gone, i'm good" but be completely cool with Seminoles and Blackhawks portrayed as savage warriors basically.

that's why this is going to be a very interesting issue going forward.

El Ramster on the amazing work
Webmaster

Site Admin
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ohiogenius wrote:

J Pep 4 Step wrote:

Yep, nothing but white people spearheading this. This is all about whitey. Laughing

These are exactly the comments that can't be used on this forum. We tried to give this a shot, but it's obvious members still don't know how to discuss this topic without causing problems.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14
Page 14 of 14

Jump to: