You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

With Giants gone, who else can put pressure on Brady?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pats#1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the key to the Pats success this post season is going to be the quick hits that Brady has excelled at so much over the past couple season, as well as a decent showing from Blount and Lewis to set up the play action.

If Edelman can get open against his man quickly, and White can do the same with whatever LB will be covering him, I think Brady will be able to have plenty of success.

Pats game this season has really been getting up early and controlling the game from there, they have everything they need to be able to do that, hopefully they can continue that trend.

The wildcard here is Michael Floyd IMO....he looked very good against the Jets (yes, I know it's the Jets), and seems to have gotten a second wind for this season. If he can give us a couple good plays a game, I think he is the type of extra push that every SB champion needs in their run.

WE'RE ON TO 2016
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pats#1 wrote:

The wildcard here is Michael Floyd IMO....he looked very good against the Jets (yes, I know it's the Jets), and seems to have gotten a second wind for this season. If he can give us a couple good plays a game, I think he is the type of extra push that every SB champion needs in their run.

I don't think it's a guarantee Floyd even dresses, let alone gets meaningful snaps. If Amendola is ready to go, it's hard to justify 5 WR's.
Yin-Yang

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

goldfishwars wrote:
Michael Bennett could give us fits. Texans pass rush never seems to show up against us for some reason.

It's worth mentioning that their best CB (Bouye) barely played and Clowney has certainly improved since then. But yeah, the Watt-Mercilus duo doesn't usually wreck the game for us.

Honestly, all of the remaining teams except the Packers have the horses to give this team a problem with their pass rush if they show up. I doubt BB would let Beasley run loose, but he's been stellar as a pass rusher this season. Bennett and the Seattle secondary (now sans ET) has given Brady problems before. Clowney and Mercilus are capable pass rushers and the DBs are coming off a strong showing (albeit against Connor Cook). The Chiefs are obviously more than capable. Pittsburgh has played very well on defense lately.

Anything could happen, but the bigger question for me is who can do real damage against the defense. Its match up based and BB/Patricia have done some head-scratching things in the past, which makes it a bit harder to predict.

biletnikoff wrote:
I can guarantee the Pats wont make it to the SB. Thats a lock. I will not be wrong. It doesnt matter whether its because of losses or Brady going down.It just wont happen.
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MoJo63 wrote:
keysersoze3421 wrote:
MoJo63 wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
MoJo63 wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
MoJo63 wrote:
Well, the Texans have the #1 D in the NFL, so I guess they can I also feel the Seachickesn can too. As long as Blount is running well the Pats will be tough to beat.

Houston doesn't have the #1 D in the NFL, despite the number of times that was said during their game.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/total/position/defense/seasontype/2

I would also think about playing Pittsburgh again that D looks a little better.

YPG Laughing Laughing

Those are team stats

Right, and they're meaningless.

Sure they are that makes a lot of sense. Rolling Eyes They are 1 and 2 in a few of those ares, middle of the pack elsewhere. Again I don't make the stats I don't record them, I just copied and pasted the facts. I am not even asking anyone to accept them. In the end they can't score with the Pats and that will be there demise.

Yards per game is a useless way to measure total defense.

As some longer time posters here might remember, I wrote at length about yards as a measuring tool back in January or February of 2012 before SB46 and determined that it's not a totally worthless stat but it doesn't help us measure defensive quality.

One of the ways that it is deceptive is that teams with bad offenses or bad special teams tend to have a gap between points allowed and yards allowed - that is, they're middling in points and better ranking in yards. The reason should be obvious - bad offensive teams generally lose the field position battle and their opponents get an increased number of short fields. Houston, this year, is a good example of this. They were 26th in the league in opponent's average starting position. So they had less field to defend on the average drive, which, over a large same size, is going to reduce the yards you give up.

Similarly, teams with bad offenses tend to rank lower (worse) in points per game than they truly should since they give up (generally speaking) more opponent drives over the course of the season. Here, the Texans 11th in the NFL PPG allowed is actually stronger than it appears. They were 5th in both opposing scoring % and points allowed per drive.

So in short, yards per game makes the Texans look better than they are. Points per game makes them look worse than they are. Overall they were:

24th in sacks
7th in passer rating against
9th in completion % against
12th in rushing yards per carry against
4th in TOP per drive against
21st in takeaways
5th in yards per play

They're pretty much a solid top 10 D without including any context (e.g. opponents faced) but clearly not #1. I'd posit that being bottom third in the league in takeaways and sacks despite playing a pretty soft schedule hurts any claim at being a top D. It's not an impact unit at all.
dhunt2402

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^ That's about as good of a breakdown on why #1 in YPG ≠ #1 overall defense, and it's really not even close.

While the Texans have some nice pieces, they're not a defense I'm worried about being able to stop Tom Brady for anything close to 60 minutes. Clowney is getting a ton of praise, but he's been hyper aggressive and I fully expect Belichick to be able to scheme him out of the game. I like the way our quick passing offense matches up with their secondary, and I'm willing to bet they get a few favorable matchups with Hogan down the field against their nickel DBs if they really try to take away the underneath stuff.
Pats#1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
Pats#1 wrote:

I don't think it's a guarantee Floyd even dresses, let alone gets meaningful snaps. If Amendola is ready to go, it's hard to justify 5 WR's.

Didn't even think of that.

Yea, out of Edelman, Mitchell, Hogan, Amendola, and Floyd....Floyd obviously has the least experience in that offense.

WE'RE ON TO 2016
BenCoates

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pats#1 wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
Pats#1 wrote:

Yea, out of Edelman, Mitchell, Hogan, Amendola, and Floyd....Floyd obviously has the least experience in that offense.

I think we'll see Edelman, Hogan, Amendola, Floyd this week
iothar

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BenCoates wrote:
Pats#1 wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
Pats#1 wrote:

Moving Hogan to the slot will be huge if Floyd can be competent. Hogan will be much more effective in the slot.
MoJo63

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iothar wrote:
BenCoates wrote:
Pats#1 wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
Pats#1 wrote:

Moving Hogan to the slot will be huge if Floyd can be competent. Hogan will be much more effective in the slot.

Oyyy I'll be surprised if you don't get an earful for that comment. Anyway, I can see BB dressing five WRs or sitting Mitchell he is a rookie with a knee tweak, and I am certain they can find another player to sit out.

As far as the Houston D or any D for that matter. If they manage any kind of rush of the end which they should TB will do what he does, he will spread them out and toss those quick little Dink and Dunk passes that the Pats are so good at. Once inside the 20 is where that extra WR aka Floyd may come on handy (Pun Intended). Floyd has good size.
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iothar wrote:
BenCoates wrote:
Pats#1 wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
Pats#1 wrote:

Hogan has been one of the best perimeter WR's in the league all year and has been the best X the Pats have had since Moss. I'm what way will he be much better in the slot? He's been the first solid deep threat the Pats have had for years. Moving him inside plays away from his strengths.
keysersoze3421

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no way they play him inside. Hogan is by far our best X and the last candidate to shift to the slot, especially on a team where you can use Edelman, Amendola, and Mitchell - if need be - out of the slot.

animaltested wrote:
On a scale from Kitten to Hitler, being close minded about music, and only listening to one or two genres is about a Boss Tweed.
Pats#1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mitchell limited in practice today, I can see them being careful and resting him this week and going with Floyd, which I admit is intriguing considering his contributions as of late.

However at the same time, the trust and timing built between Mitchell and Brady this season has been great to watch, and any time a receiver that Brady trusts in must have situations is out, it will make things harder.

WE'RE ON TO 2016
MoJo63

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pats#1 wrote:
Mitchell limited in practice today, I can see them being careful and resting him this week and going with Floyd, which I admit is intriguing considering his contributions as of late.

However at the same time, the trust and timing built between Mitchell and Brady this season has been great to watch, and any time a receiver that Brady trusts in must have situations is out, it will make things harder.

I thought he was full participation the other day? The report I read said the only one out or limited was Blount.

Just checked he was limited.
Hunter2_1

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GB and PITT scare me. The rest don't.
AJG

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently the Texans could.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: