Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Ohio State Buckeyes Thread v.12 Rich Get Richer
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 40, 41, 42 ... 56, 57, 58  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> College Football
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JTagg7754

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1King wrote:
JTagg7754 wrote:
1King wrote:
JTagg7754 wrote:
Saw spring practice started off today. Now, when do they generally red shirt guys? Is there a certain timeline that must be followed? Did anyone read any reports about Barrett learning how to accurately throw a football yet either? (I'll try my best to not be this way all season lol)

Unless it's someone obvious (like an OL who needs to gain a bunch of weight/strength, a QB who is very deep on the depth chart and obviously won't play, etc.) things aren't certain until the end of the season. There is no timeline that must be followed.

They can redshirt until the end of the season??

No, if you play in a game, the redshirt is burned (there are exceptions for medical redshirts if the player only plays a certain amount of time - think it is the first 3 or 4 games IIRC).

The decisions aren't usually final for most guys until the end of the season because guys get better during the year and end up getting time on special teams or mop up duty or special packages as the year progresses. Or sometimes the plan might be to redshirt during the season, but then someone or multiple guys ahead of them might get hurt and the redshirt gets burned. I know coaches like Urbz and Harbaugh and Saban (and I'm sure plenty of others) don't really use a ton of redshirts, they use young guys on special teams and smaller roles as young guys so they have experience and can develop while playing.

Aha, I get what you're saying. Good info, sir. Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JTagg7754 wrote:
1King wrote:
JTagg7754 wrote:
1King wrote:
JTagg7754 wrote:
Saw spring practice started off today. Now, when do they generally red shirt guys? Is there a certain timeline that must be followed? Did anyone read any reports about Barrett learning how to accurately throw a football yet either? (I'll try my best to not be this way all season lol)

Unless it's someone obvious (like an OL who needs to gain a bunch of weight/strength, a QB who is very deep on the depth chart and obviously won't play, etc.) things aren't certain until the end of the season. There is no timeline that must be followed.

They can redshirt until the end of the season??

No, if you play in a game, the redshirt is burned (there are exceptions for medical redshirts if the player only plays a certain amount of time - think it is the first 3 or 4 games IIRC).

The decisions aren't usually final for most guys until the end of the season because guys get better during the year and end up getting time on special teams or mop up duty or special packages as the year progresses. Or sometimes the plan might be to redshirt during the season, but then someone or multiple guys ahead of them might get hurt and the redshirt gets burned. I know coaches like Urbz and Harbaugh and Saban (and I'm sure plenty of others) don't really use a ton of redshirts, they use young guys on special teams and smaller roles as young guys so they have experience and can develop while playing.

Aha, I get what you're saying. Good info, sir. Thanks!

Urbz was known as a guy who wouldnt redshirt guys. He would use young guys on special teams, but to me it seems like the past couple seasons, he has been redshirting a lot of guys

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't aware of that. Since we have the amount of talent coming in, I don't see how you can't redshirt guys. Just glad we have that option.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JTagg7754 wrote:
I wasn't aware of that. Since we have the amount of talent coming in, I don't see how you can't redshirt guys. Just glad we have that option.

To me some of the redshirting has been causing some scholly number issues. Guys were staying a year longer then they should. Luckily enough depth guys have transferred to try and get some playing time else where. IMO he needs to play freshmen more.

Most Valuable Poster (3rd Ballot)
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buno67 wrote:
JTagg7754 wrote:

To me some of the redshirting has been causing some scholly number issues. Guys were staying a year longer then they should. Luckily enough depth guys have transferred to try and get some playing time else where. IMO he needs to play freshmen more.

Yeah, Meyer has acknowledged a mistake in doing that recently. With the influx of guys leaving here after three or four years in being redshirted their first year, he came out and said that these guys are generally not staying for five years and is going to work them all play if they are good enough.
candyman93

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NateDawg wrote:
buno67 wrote:
JTagg7754 wrote:

Yeah, Meyer has acknowledged a mistake in doing that recently. With the influx of guys leaving here after three or four years in being redshirted their first year, he came out and said that these guys are generally not staying for five years and is going to work them all play if they are good enough.

My only exception is quarterback. However, you're right. Some QBs need a year to process a system and it is the most difficult position to play.

2016 Adopt a Brownie - Joe Schoebert & Christian Kirksey
candyman93

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trevor Thompson declared.

Next year will be the biggest trainwreck ever witnessed in college basketball history.

candyman93

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couldn't even make the NIT Laughing

MWil23

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

candyman93 wrote:

Next year will be the biggest trainwreck ever witnessed in college basketball history.

Any chance Thompson comes back when he gets his "draft evaluation" back?

Also, did he officially obtain his degree as he was a transfer from Va Tech?

Just curious.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MWil23 wrote:
candyman93 wrote:

Any chance Thompson comes back when he gets his "draft evaluation" back?

Also, did he officially obtain his degree as he was a transfer from Va Tech?

Just curious.

Yes, he can still return.

No idea on the 2nd part.

buno67

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

love it that hearing reports and interviews from players about spring ball that the biggest thing to describe Wilson right now is tempo. That he wants the offense playing in rhythm and with urgency. Something I dont think they did last year. To me it seemed like there was no urgency, I dont know how many times the offense last year was snapping the ball with under 5 seconds on the play clock. Plays took forever to get in and gave JT little time to call the play and make any adjustments. Same thing with rhythm, you never saw the offense get in rhythm, and you could rarely see play calling having a great feel. With Herman, he had a great rhythm to his play calling. It seemed like he always had the next 2-3 plays already set up in his head. Where the past two years it seems like they were thinking of what play to call exactly right after the last play finished.

To me this team really needs to play with speed. Really take advantage of JTs experience. I also think playing at a quick tempo/pace in a game makes it easier on JT. Less over thinking and forces defenses to show their hands.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One positive for the Buckeyes basketball, the Wesson bros. I think Kaleb and Andre will have a huge impact on the team next year and going forward. The 2018 class looks promising too.

zelbell

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

candyman93 wrote:
One positive for the Buckeyes basketball, the Wesson bros. I think Kaleb and Andre will have a huge impact on the team next year and going forward. The 2018 class looks promising too.
there's a lot of good talent in Central Ohio in the next few years

Goodwin, Wesson, Francis, Hunter, and Mitchell are all studs

Thad refocusing on getting Ohio kids is a good start but it looks like too little too late because we're gonna be bad again next season

2016 Recipient of the Joe Blackburn Award
JammerHammer21 wrote:
(It's impossible to deny how good OSU has been Laughing)

sdrawkcab321 wrote:
This is better then the circus
JammerHammer21

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zelbell wrote:
candyman93 wrote:
there's a lot of good talent in Central Ohio in the next few years

Goodwin, Wesson, Francis, Hunter, and Mitchell are all studs

Thad refocusing on getting Ohio kids is a good start but it looks like too little too late because we're gonna be bad again next season

If you guys could let Hunter go to Michigan, that would be sooo coool

(I know OSU isn't recruiting him hard right now, so let's keep it that way)

Bohlmann20 (On The 95 Cleveland Browns Staff) wrote:
Lombardi - Isn't that the guy the trophy is named after? If so, top 3 coach of all time.

#JDI
candyman93

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I'm Matta, next year I ride or die with this lineup:

CJ Jackson
Jaquan Lyle
Keita Bates Diop
Jae'Sean Tate
Kaleb Wesson

I don't care about the rest of the roster. They all suck and don't deserve any playing time. Also, I'm assuming Trevor Thompson is gone. I think we are better without Loving and his turnovers.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> College Football All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 40, 41, 42 ... 56, 57, 58  Next
Page 41 of 58

Jump to: