Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

A Rams draft thread...remember these?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 96, 97, 98  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Los Angeles Rams
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jrry32

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DEE RAWL wrote:
Njoku had a 31% drop rate while Engram had 22%.

These both seem abnormally high. Regardless, both guys drop too many passes.

Quote:
I never said anything about Engram playing inline, I specifically made the point that Id draft Engram for this specific offense. Njoku would fit other offenses better where Engram wouldnt, especially if I wanted a TE with the ability to play the standard inline "Y" TE.

When I said Engram has a better understanding and is a better route runner, I wasnt saying he had run a full NFL route tree. He understands how to find/feel the openings of defenses and he has far better body control resulting in crisper cuts when he does run routes, in fact, go watch Engram's pro day-- he was running WR routes and looked pretty darn good. He knows how to stem and gain leverage against defenders. While Njoku is still growing/learning not only the position, but also into his ridiculously freakish body. He is a very raw football player.

A pro day doesn't tell me anything. He's running routes against air with nothing going through his mind.

Engram does have a better understanding of football. He should. He's two years older with two more years of experience. However, he's not at all a developed slot WR. He ran a very simplistic route tree in college, and I wasn't impressed with his ability finds the holes in defenses. I have no doubt that skill will develop, but he's not what I'd consider a refined slot WR.

You look at him next to some slot-only WRs, and he looks very raw. He's a more talented athlete than those guys, but he's much less refined. He too often fails to gain separation at the top of his route because he doesn't sell his route well.

Quote:
And quite honestly, Engram is a better blocker than people give him credit for. If you havent already, go back and watch the game against A&M where hes able to maintain blocks against both Myles Garrett and Deshaun Hall, two pretty strong and talented edge defenders.

He's really not. I've seen the TAMU game. Garrett, on a bum ankle, did what he wanted when Engram tried to block him. Engram didn't have the size or strength to prevent Garrett from ending up where he wanted to be. Engram had a few successful blocks against Hall, but Hall is soft as a pillow against the run. It's why I'm not a fan of his. He plays high and doesn't show any power or violence as a run defender. Even still, Hall was often moving Engram where he wanted to get himself in proper position.

The other thing that stood out watching that game is that Ole Miss didn't line Engram up on the LOS. He always had a running start when trying to make a block. That's not the same thing as lining up with your hand in the dirt on the LOS in the NFL. Engram will get thrown around by strong edge players.

Now, Engram will be a great blocker as a slot WR because he's 6'3" 234 with the expected strength, willingness, and physicality for his size.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just had a thought while reading this Cooper Kupp article:
http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/nfl-draft-cooper-kupp-ben-roethlisberger-jared-goff-carson-wentz-022117

Goff met with Kupp and threw passes to him this off-season. He's not the only WR prospect that Goff met with and threw passes to during the process. I wonder if the Rams are having Goff scout out potential WRs for our picks.

Obviously, I am trying to hold onto my hope that the Rams will draft Kupp as it seems less and less likely, but it would be an interesting strategy to give Goff that sort of role in player evaluation.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I guess we just see it a little differently. You see Engram as a big slot WR only, and I dont. And I agree that pro day's dont really prove anything, but showing the ability to run crisp and explosive routes even against air is good to see.

1. Corey Davis, WR, WMU
2. Forrest Lamp, G/C, WKU
3. Evan Engram, TE, Ole Miss
4. JuJu Smith-Schuster, WR, USC
DEE RAWL

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
USC WR JuJu Smith-Schuster just said the Cowboys and Rams have shown the most interest in him.

Cameron DeSilva

1. Corey Davis, WR, WMU
BStanRamFan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Njoku won't get past the GIants in Round 1 so the conversation is mute.

The more tape i watch on Cooper Kupp, the more i see Larry Fitzgerald. Go ahead and rip me for the comparison, but I'm turning the corner on him being a top option with Zay Jones/Engram.

I have a feeling JuJu and Chris Godwin will be available in the 3rd.
DEE RAWL

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BStanRamFan wrote:

The more tape i watch on Cooper Kupp, the more i see Larry Fitzgerald. Go ahead and rip me for the comparison, but I'm turning the corner on him being a top option with Zay Jones/Engram.

I dont buy the Giants going for Njoku, but the Bucs make sense. Yeah i dont agree at all with the Fitz comparison, and while I do think Godwin will be available in the 3rd, I highly doubt Juju will be. If the Rams do in fact want Juju, the will have to take him in the 2nd frame.

1. Corey Davis, WR, WMU
DEE RAWL

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Word is Marlon Humphrey isnt seen as a 1st rounder by many, if hes still available at 37 I wouldnt mind that one bit.

1. Corey Davis, WR, WMU
RamPackFan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DEE RAWL wrote:
Word is Marlon Humphrey isnt seen as a 1st rounder by many, if hes still available at 37 I wouldnt mind that one bit.

personally I'd take Tabor over Humphrey.
DEE RAWL

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RamPackFan wrote:
DEE RAWL wrote:

Couldnt disagree more

1. Corey Davis, WR, WMU
Flatlyner

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do really like Humphrey, but, I'd not be super excited if we took him. Honestly, I don't see CB as a 2nd round pick need for us right now. Yes, we do need to take one at some point in the draft, but our starters look set in that department:
Tru
Webster
Nickell Robey
Gaines
T.Hill (who I thought was very solid last year before suspension)

And a few others that may not make the team. That is 5 pretty solid CBs. Not sure how many we keep on roster, but 5-7 seems about right. Again, I'm not stating that we are rock solid at CB, just that we have much bigger needs on the other side of the ball then CB such as WR, TE, C. Those 3 are huge glaring needs IMO.
John Johnson, S/CB
Josh Reynolds, WR
Samson Ebukam, Edge
RamPackFan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DEE RAWL wrote:
RamPackFan wrote:
DEE RAWL wrote:

Couldnt disagree more

that's why I said, "personally". I don't remember the last Bama CB to ever do anything (at the top of my head), mostly overrated prospects from my experience. Just my take on it is all...
DEE RAWL

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flatlyner wrote:
I do really like Humphrey, but, I'd not be super excited if we took him. Honestly, I don't see CB as a 2nd round pick need for us right now. Yes, we do need to take one at some point in the draft, but our starters look set in that department:
Tru
Webster
Nickell Robey
Gaines
T.Hill (who I thought was very solid last year before suspension)

And a few others that may not make the team. That is 5 pretty solid CBs. Not sure how many we keep on roster, but 5-7 seems about right. Again, I'm not stating that we are rock solid at CB, just that we have much bigger needs on the other side of the ball then CB such as WR, TE, C. Those 3 are huge glaring needs IMO.

I agree, and I expect us to wait til round 3 before making a defensive selection, but I never considered Humphrey to even be available at 37. Again, I dont expect him to be the pick even if he is available, but I think it would be a good pick should it happen.

1. Corey Davis, WR, WMU
jrry32

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BStanRamFan wrote:

Glad to see there's another in the Kupp camp. The same name popped to mind for me (Fitzgerald). Not because him and Kupp are stylistically similar or similarly built. It's because they're both so natural. They make it look easy. And despite neither being a burner, they always seem to have enough speed to break off a big play when it's needed.

I'm also a huge fan of Zay Jones. Kupp and Jones are two guys who should be ready to contribute immediately.

RamPackFan wrote:
DEE RAWL wrote:

Tabor doesn't fit our system. And I'm not sure about Humphrey at #37. His issues locating deep balls with his back to the QB concern me.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get real irritated when I see mocks like this for us:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2017-nfl-seven-round-mock-draft-every-pick-trade-and-draft-class-for-all-32-teams/

2 37 SS Jabrill Peppers
3 69 DE Tanoh Kpassagnon
4 112 OG Jessamen Dunker
4 141 RB Jamaal Williams
5 149 WR Shelton Gibson
6 189 OT Storm Norton
6 206 TE Jeremy Sprinkle from Miami
7 234 OLB JoJo Mathis from Baltimore

Not that I don't like Peppers or Kpassagnon, its just we don't need a safety early but we do need offensive help early. Alexander rated as one of the better safeties last year and Joyner is going to flourish back there.
John Johnson, S/CB
Josh Reynolds, WR
Samson Ebukam, Edge
DEE RAWL

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Id be surprised to see Gibson on the board in the 5th. But yeah most people that make mocks for the Rams have no clue.

As far as the ball skills (or lack there of) for Humphrey, I agree, but he checks every other box. Id be willing to give him a shot, but I still would prefer Sidney Jones or Ahkello Witherspoon in the 3rd. Im not pounding the table for Humphrey, but its an option that I wouldnt be mad at.

1. Corey Davis, WR, WMU

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Los Angeles Rams All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 96, 97, 98  Next
Page 16 of 98

Jump to: