Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Pats sign RB Gillislee to offer sheet
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PatriotsWin!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Devin Kurant wrote:
Brady
Gronkowski
Allen
Cooks
Edelman
Mitchell
Amendola
White
Burkhead
Gillislee

Good god.

You forgot Hogan and Lewis bro.

Mack on the sig
patman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cddolphin wrote:
childofpudding wrote:
Someone else in the team forum mentioned that Gillislee and Burkhead were the top two RBs in DVOA last year, for what it's worth: https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/rb

Yet the Pats claim to not put much weight into analytics. Dat gamesmanship.

HUH? Ernie Adams is the original.

This is how he is described.

Adams, who is officially listed as “football research director,” is the man behind the Patriots’ iron curtain. He is the man who has Belichick’s ear. He is a football genius, a statistical savant, the Rain Man of the NFL. In the words of late author David Halberstam, Adams is “Belichick’s Belichick.’’
cddolphin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

patman wrote:
cddolphin wrote:
childofpudding wrote:
Someone else in the team forum mentioned that Gillislee and Burkhead were the top two RBs in DVOA last year, for what it's worth: https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/rb

Yet the Pats claim to not put much weight into analytics. Dat gamesmanship.

HUH? Ernie Adams is the original.

This is how he is described.

Adams, who is officially listed as “football research director,” is the man behind the Patriots’ iron curtain. He is the man who has Belichick’s ear. He is a football genius, a statistical savant, the Rain Man of the NFL. In the words of late author David Halberstam, Adams is “Belichick’s Belichick.’’

Quote:
“I don’t know. That’s really not a big thing with me,” Belichick said of analytics as it pertains to his pregame preparations (via WEEI.com). “I’m sure you can go to the Northeastern analytics conference or whatever it is here in summer or the spring and get your fill of it. I’m sure there’s a lot there.”
Belichick is referring to the annual MIT Sloan Sports Analytics conference, which honored him with a lifetime achievement award last year. But the Patriots coach has no plans to implement a more stats-based approach to game-planning anytime soon.
“Nope. nope. We do some of it,” Belichick said. “I’m sure we do a lot less than a lot of other people do. It’s not really my thing.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/bill-belichick-on-analytics-really-not-a-big-thing-with-me/

Belichick claimed a few months ago they didn't use it all that much. Not that I buy what he's saying.
MookieMonster

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds more like he doesn't use analytics to GAME PLAN for opponents, not for additions to the team.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MookieMonster wrote:
That sounds more like he doesn't use analytics to GAME PLAN for opponents, not for additions to the team.

True.
KManX89

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

areksoo wrote:
It's also genius that they made the first year $4 million. The Bills salary cap space is sitting somewhere around $9-10 million, but if you remove the cost of draft pick salaries, then they are left with roughly $4 million. Do you waste the rest of your cap space on a back up RB? Or use that money for multiple players to fill in the many holes they have? Latter seems like the only choice.

Yeah, I don't see them matching this offer. They have too many holes to fill to waste it all on a backup RB.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KManX89 wrote:
areksoo wrote:
It's also genius that they made the first year $4 million. The Bills salary cap space is sitting somewhere around $9-10 million, but if you remove the cost of draft pick salaries, then they are left with roughly $4 million. Do you waste the rest of your cap space on a back up RB? Or use that money for multiple players to fill in the many holes they have? Latter seems like the only choice.

Yeah, I don't see them matching this offer. They have too many holes to fill to waste it all on a backup RB.

Doug Whaley is incredibly stupid when it comes to football decisions so they just might match it.

Current owner of the Portland Horned Owls in the Bizzaro Dynasty League, I'm a Ravens fan and I regret every second of it.
sp6488

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shanedorf wrote:
from PFT

"Analytics website FootballOutsiders.com ranked Gillislee as the most efficient running back in the NFL last year, and Burkhead as No. 2.

Analytics website NumberFire also had Gillislee first and Burkhead second.

Analyst Warren Sharp’s metrics had Gillislee first and Burkhead second in success rate, and Burkhead first and Gillislee second in the fewest “missed yards per attempt,” or how close they came to being successful on the plays that weren’t quite good enough to quality as successful."

Gillislee had 101 carries last season. Burkhead had 74 (87 in his career).

Efficiency numbers tend to reflect favorable on relatively low-usage players. That doesn't always hold as workload increases (or situation changes). Lamont Jordan is a great example of a guy who was good and efficient in part-time duty and it didn't scale when given a full load.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sp6488 wrote:
Shanedorf wrote:
from PFT

"Analytics website FootballOutsiders.com ranked Gillislee as the most efficient running back in the NFL last year, and Burkhead as No. 2.

Analyst Warren Sharp’s metrics had Gillislee first and Burkhead second in success rate, and Burkhead first and Gillislee second in the fewest “missed yards per attempt,” or how close they came to being successful on the plays that weren’t quite good enough to quality as successful."

Efficiency numbers tend to reflect favorable on relatively low-usage players. That doesn't always hold as workload increases (or situation changes). Lamont Jordan is a great example of a guy who was good and efficient in part-time duty and it didn't scale when given a full load.

Stats like that don't usually carry over very well, specially when they are asked to take more touches. I don't think any sane person is stating that this will remain true, it's just a point of reference. It should also be taken into account that neither of them will be expected to be the featured back. In fact, I think its a safe bet that neither one of the will sniff 1000 yards.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bills didn't match, Gillislee is officially a Patriot.

Buffallo Bills aka the Patriots farm team. Laughing
Oregon Ducks

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I could average less than $300 rushing yards per year and get $6+ million.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sp6488 wrote:
Shanedorf wrote:
from PFT

...Which is exactly what Belichick is going to do with the both of them. On top of my head we've only had three seasons with clear cut featured backs: 2001 Antowain Smith, 2004 Corey Dillon and Blount last season. Other than that, Belichick has used the committee approach.
childofpudding

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

everlong wrote:
sp6488 wrote:
Shanedorf wrote:
from PFT

...Which is exactly what Belichick is going to do with the both of them. On top of my head we've only had three seasons with clear cut featured backs: 2001 Antowain Smith, 2004 Corey Dillon and Blount last season. Other than that, Belichick has used the committee approach.

They're paying quite a bit for that committee this season

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: