Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Off Season thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jch1911

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apollo Stallion wrote:
Wolf6151 wrote:
jch1911 wrote:
Just going to put this here...
Quote:
File this away: One NFL coach who has done homework on all the top QBs told me word is Bill O'Brien "absolutely loves" Patrick Mahomes.

https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/853976304533864448

I get the impression O'Brien runs a pretty tight lipped organisation, this makes me wonder if this is an intentional false leak. With that said, I sure hope there's someone he "absolutely loves" and that we actively pursue that QB.

Just my annual reminder that 2 weeks-3 weeks out from the draft is lying season. Pre-draft free agent signings stop, draft boards are generally set, and misinformation campaigns kick in to high gear. Doesn't mean he doesn't "love" Mahomes, just that it is rather meaningless and if anything indicative that he "loves" someone else more. Somebody care to remind me when an NFL coach/GM has ever said "I hate player xxx, and would never draft him" or even "I like player x, but not as much as player y?" I really wish somebody would take the time to review all the blatant pre-draft misinformation thrown around by supposedly reliable sources when in reality they are blatant shills this time a year who "earn" their access by helping team disguise draft intentions. Adam Schefter made a career out of spewing out blatant "fake news" for the Broncos when on their beat back in Denver as Pat Bowles lackey. I actually have grown to love John McClain in an age of talentless twitter hacks, but one of the secret's of his longevity has always been his willingness to leverage his "credibility" as a respected "tied in" beat guy to throw some planted stories out there this time of year. Generally, I get a better sense of who the Texans end up with by who isn't mentioned vs. who is. Remember what a "done deal" Romo was?

Appolodamus back in action

Quote:
Draft Analyst's Tony Pauline reports that sources "close to the organization" say the Houston Texans "won’t draft a quarterback in the first round."
This is a surprising dispatch that flies in the face of what the draft community believes about Houston's intentions. Plugged-in Texans beat writer John McClain has written that Houston would "definitely" take Patrick Mahomes if he was available at No. 25. Pauline is hearing otherwise, writing that Houston's brass believes that it "must win" in 2017 and is comfortable with Tom Savage as the starter. Pauline thinks left tackle or cornerback are more likely positional targets in Round 1 than a quarterback, and further believes that reports about Houston's interest in a quarterback on Day 1 are a smokescreen. We're eight days away from finding out one way or the other.

Personally, I hope we add another Watt (All the way with TJ) in the 1st round and pick up Jerod Evans (VA Tech) in 4th or 5th. Jerod's comparison by a couple of draft outlets was (wait for it)... Tom Savage / a mobile Tom Savage (arm strength, multiple schools, year or 2 from being NFL ready).
Texansfan713

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texans definitely will take a QB rounds 1 or 2. Too much pressure from the fans not to take one early.

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texansfan713 wrote:
Texans definitely will take a QB rounds 1 or 2. Too much pressure from the fans not to take one early.

Bingo. There is tactical value in a highly regarded QB, but going into a season with Tom Savage, Brandon Weeden and yet ANOTHER 3rd day project will impact ticket sales at this point.

Rounds 1/2, or Bob McNair risks losing that sellout streak he's got.

vike daddy wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
I wanna be a mod.

vastly over rated.
jch1911

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EliteTexan80 wrote:
Texansfan713 wrote:

Bingo. There is tactical value in a highly regarded QB, but going into a season with Tom Savage, Brandon Weeden and yet ANOTHER 3rd day project will impact ticket sales at this point.

I may be in the minority - happens ALOT and for a reason Wink - of fans who would be okay with a Day 3 QB:
(1) whoever is drafted is PROBABLY not starting this season (OB1 pretty much said so)
(2) the QB talent looks to be less than last year and besides Dak (who pretty much landed in the premium situation and Cowburds still lost in their 1st playoff game), who really stood out from last year's QB group anyway? Lynch couldn't even beat out Siemien
(3) we have a playoff ready team that should be capable of fighting for an AFCCG spot with a decent game manager (Savage should be able to do that - provided he can stay healthy)
(4) I would rather get a low draft value QB with great long-term potential than drafting a kid high up in the draft who long-term would be a career backup anyway (hence why Jerod Evans is appealing to me now more than Brad Kaaya is)
(5) all that being said if we nabbed Kaaya in the 2nd or 3rd, I would be perfectly fine with it. I would probably be ok with Peterman as well, but he strikes me as a career backup
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EliteTexan80 wrote:
Texansfan713 wrote:

While I would love to think that a pro organization doesn't let the opinion of Joe Sixpack fans dictate draft strategy, but I do think it is naive to think it's a complete non-factor. Clearest example is the organization clearly shying away from Derek Carr despite clear need/value he presented in 2014 at #33 vs. Xavier Su'a Filo. Experience with his brother David as #1 overall pick and original franchise QB clearly brought "complications" in terms of support from a fan base and potential "baggage" on both sides related to his relative failure (and who was to blame).

It is also pretty safe to say that building fan and media pressure for the Texans to address their underwhelming QB play from "cheap" one year stop gaps in Fitz & Hoyer played a factor in the horrifically poorly vetted Brock Osweiler decision. It seems pretty clear at this point that the decision was made without the Head Coaches blessing as he O'Brien never even met or interviewed Osweiler, making it inherently a business decision to throw money at a situation vs. one grounded in football strategy. A similar decision appears to have been made with the Ed Reed over Glover Quin signing, so at this point you gotta call it a pattern of upper management making decisions weighing "perceptions" of what the team needs vs. the coaching staff communicating their needs and management executing a plan.

What IS confusing is that Rick Smith & the McNairs have shown that they are willing to make unpopular decisions or at least haven't blatantly done moves for PR's sake. Cutting Andre Johnson was absolutely the right football & salary cap move and he was clearly exposed as a diminished player at Indy & Tenn, so props for holding the line there. I don't give Rick credit for much, but on the business side he has been strong in not giving into sentiment for "fan favorites" in negotiations which probably all started with him showing Dunta Robinson the door & letting it hit the Falcons in the butt. We'll never know what we would have done had the Browns not been the one's trying to cash a PR check with Johnny Manziel, but at the very least, we didn't do anything stupid like trading up or down to appease the morons choosing to overlook the clear talent gap and substance problems in favor of some concocted "winner" storyline.

So that gets us to draft 2017. There are probably 10 teams ahead of us, and even some behind that could trade up, that need "franchise QBs" as well. We tend to view things in a vacuum here, as if those other fanbases wouldn't "revolt" if the Browns, 49ers, Jets, Bears, Bills, Broncos don't upgrade their long-term QB outlook and that's not even counting those with vets nearing the end including Chargers, Saints, Cardinals, Giants, Steelers and whatever you want to make of Redskins, Chiefs, Jags, Dolphins, Rams, really have their long-term answer. There are only 3-4 "consensus" guys worthy of a 1st rounder, so somebody is going to end up taking Webb, Peterman, Kaaya on day 2 and are going to have to sell them as a long-term answer. If there is one team who's fan base is desperate enough to embrace one of those guys as "hope" I'd suspect it would be the team that currently has Tom Savage penciled in as starter and seemingly lacking the draft capital to move up high enough. Of course, I could also see us reaching badly for a guy like Trevor Knight and his being sold and embraced as our Dak Prescott, when in reality he is just "a name" who got by making some plays with his feet in college for teams with defenses good enough to deal with a horribly inaccurate QB.

Recovering Texans Season Ticket Holder
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW - I firmly reject any "bloodlines" or PR argument for drafting TJ Watt who simply does NOT have the resume of a 1st round pick absent some "projection" of who he may become because of his brother. Nobody expected Derek to become JJ as a 230lb fullback, but just because they have similar backstories as Wisconsin TE/DE conversions doesn't mean TJ is going to grow from 240lb tweener into 290lb man-beast like JJ. Strikes me as very similar to the arguments made for Casey Matthews "growing" into the player big bro Clay was, when in reality he was just a high effort guy who already had topped out his talent with technique learned from dad & bros. See also all Jake, Mike, & Kevin Matthews.

JJ's strength, speed, effort, size combo is what makes him so special. If JJ himself dropped 40 lbs, he wouldn't transform into a great LB, because if anything what make him so special is that he's got a DT body/strength, but the moves/tech/speed of a DE. TJ is a good player who will make some impact at the next level as a 4-3 DE/LB pass rusher in the Connor Barwin mold, but that's certainly not anything the Texans need to be prioritizing on draft day, especially in round 1.

Recovering Texans Season Ticket Holder
jch1911

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apollo Stallion wrote:
BTW - I firmly reject any "bloodlines" or PR argument for drafting TJ Watt who simply does NOT have the resume of a 1st round pick absent some "projection" of who he may become because of his brother. Nobody expected Derek to become JJ as a 230lb fullback, but just because they have similar backstories as Wisconsin TE/DE conversions doesn't mean TJ is going to grow from 240lb tweener into 290lb man-beast like JJ. Strikes me as very similar to the arguments made for Casey Matthews "growing" into the player big bro Clay was, when in reality he was just a high effort guy who already had topped out his talent with technique learned from dad & bros. See also all Jake, Mike, & Kevin Matthews.

JJ's strength, speed, effort, size combo is what makes him so special. If JJ himself dropped 40 lbs, he wouldn't transform into a great LB, because if anything what make him so special is that he's got a DT body/strength, but the moves/tech/speed of a DE. TJ is a good player who will make some impact at the next level as a 4-3 DE/LB pass rusher in the Connor Barwin mold, but that's certainly not anything the Texans need to be prioritizing on draft day, especially in round 1.

I was saving this for later, but..... Have you per chance watched any film on TJ or checked out where his measureables place him vis-a-vis others? Or did you just see Watt and stop there? Also, consensus is TJ is built to be 3-4 OLB because he lacks strength to be 4-3DE (currently). Wisconsin didn't ask him to do it much, but the tape and his metrics say he should put pretty good in underneath coverage (against TEs and RBs - exactly who we struggle with right now). He even showed so against Purdue - although the Pick 6 occurred on a pass rush (like his big bro Wink).

Moreover, you can never have too many pass rushers (ask Giants). He serves as protection against loss of a pass rusher (knock on wood) to injury. Plus he ensures their effectiveness, but letting them get a rest while we don't see a dip in production. He allows the defense / Vrable to blitz from multiple angles and one thing every DC wants is pressure on QB to force them to make bad decisions.

Also, Clowney is under contract for 1 more year before he either has to be franchised or negotiate a huge contract. I could definitely see Clowney wanting to be the highest paid defensive player on our team and with what we are paying Watt = A LOT OF COIN. Clowney has never struck me as dumb when it comes to the business side of maximizing the $$$ he makes. TJ may help keep the price down and serves as insurance.

As a matter of fact, compare TJ to Conner Barwin AND Jordan Hicks. You mentioned Conner Barwin and you are darn right I would draft Barwin in the 1st round with a pick in the 20's if I had a chance. I bring up Jordan Hicks because he is considered one of the best coverage LBs in the NFL.
I'll let you go look... never mind, you could be lazy Laughing

TJ Watt: http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/t.j.-watt?id=2558064
TJ Watt Senior Year at Wisconsin (2016 Big Ten): 14 games = 63 tackles; 15.5 TFL; 11.5 sacks
Conner Barwin: http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=75418&draftyear=2009&genpos=DE
Barwin Senior year at Cincy (2008 Big East): 14 games = 49 tackles; 14.5 TFL; 11 sacks
Jordan Hicks: http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=108469&draftyear=2015&genpos=OLB

IMHO: people are sleeping on Watt for the simple fact that he is JJ Watt's brother. Yeah, he is no JJ nor does he need to be. If he is simply a better version of Barwin.... I'll take that.
1st year plan for TJ: play in nickel & dime packages while developing strength and NFL speed
EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apollo Stallion wrote:

I agree that TJ isn't the pick in the 1st, but wholeheartedly disagree on the belief that anyone is picking him because of his bloodlines (save for the one team that will draft him - more on that in a sec). TJ Watt is a Clay Matthews clone. He's a 3-4 edge rusher who provides versatility in passing and running packages on defense. You can send him off the edge as a stand up rusher, play him on flat coverage on short passing downs, collapse him to an ILB for run support on short down/distance scenarios, put his hand down and pin his ears back on long down/distance situations - with versatility being the name of the game, Watt is an enticing option for many teams.

Dimes to dollars - Dallas drafts him. Jerruh has been steadfast on a "War Daddy" pass rusher and a Watt jersey in Dallas immediately becomes a top 3 seller for the Cowboys (behind Zeke and Dak). Jerruh is no marketing fool, and Watt v 2.0 in Texas is a dream scenario for him, taking some shine from his in-state rival. Beyond that, there is significant tactical value for a player like Watt on a Dallas defense - Watt and Jaylon Smith at OLB is a tandem you can build around. DB might be a bigger need for Dallas, but this draft has a DB around every corner; Dallas can double up in 2/3 and get two starting DBs in short order.

vike daddy wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
I wanna be a mod.

vastly over rated.
Pastor Dillon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are all demanding a QB in the draft, but honestly they have drafted a QB and developed him in the system for 3 years in Savage and probably want to give him the job this season. The most recent trend has been rookies coming in and being day 1 starters but the old school way of developing QBs is exactly what we have been doing.

If and it's a big if the organization likes the development of Savage and feel like he's the guy they have been grooming and are expecting him to take the job long term, then drafting a QB in the first 3 rounds is foolishness.

If Savage is simply the only option at this point and we've been developing him as a back up for the long term then we draft a QB early.

To me, the draft will tell us what the last 3 years have taught the organization about Tom Savage. Can he be that guy? He's been given all the time in the world to get ready for it, he's got a little game experience and now it's up to him whether he's good enough or not.

He can't be worse than Brock last year. The defense will take a step back, albeit maybe from #1 to #6 or #7, which means we can maintain a solid team if the offense can jump from #30 to say #20.

I'm tempted to draft 3 defensive guys in the first 3 rounds. We need a NT, OLB and S in the starting line up.

^S/o to El Ramster for the amazing sig
EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pastor Dillon wrote:
We are all demanding a QB in the draft, but honestly they have drafted a QB and developed him in the system for 3 years in Savage and probably want to give him the job this season. The most recent trend has been rookies coming in and being day 1 starters but the old school way of developing QBs is exactly what we have been doing.

If and it's a big if the organization likes the development of Savage and feel like he's the guy they have been grooming and are expecting him to take the job long term, then drafting a QB in the first 3 rounds is foolishness.

If Savage is simply the only option at this point and we've been developing him as a back up for the long term then we draft a QB early.

To me, the draft will tell us what the last 3 years have taught the organization about Tom Savage. Can he be that guy? He's been given all the time in the world to get ready for it, he's got a little game experience and now it's up to him whether he's good enough or not.

He can't be worse than Brock last year. The defense will take a step back, albeit maybe from #1 to #6 or #7, which means we can maintain a solid team if the offense can jump from #30 to say #20.

I'm tempted to draft 3 defensive guys in the first 3 rounds. We need a NT, OLB and S in the starting line up.

The organization declared its feelings on Savage when they dropped $72mm on a former Denver backup with seven career starts to his name, without even flying him in to say "hello". That wasn't chump change - that was a significant investment in a guy who was supposed to be the franchise QB for this team for the next 5-6 years. It further declared their feelings on Savage when they jettisoned that same Denver backup (along with a 2nd round pick) to clear up cap space for a 37 year old CBS Broadcaster.

The franchise as a whole isn't too high on Tommy boy, based on those two actions. If Savage was part of the big picture, it would have been a toss up between him and Weeden for the starting job last year, with a 3rd name brought in to back up whoever wins. The team didn't even entertain that - in fact, they went the stark opposite of that, overpaying for Brock. Had there been an inkling of Savage being able to be "the guy" this year, there wouldn't have been a push for Romo as well (and lets not kid ourselves, that is EXACTLY what the Brock salary dump was).

Tom is simply not in the picture. Might be a seat warmer while a young guy gets prepped to take over, might be a high end backup - but this team has had multiple chances to elevate him to the starting job, and elected to go another direction each time, directions that were intended to be long term solutions.

vike daddy wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
I wanna be a mod.

vastly over rated.
Pastor Dillon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EliteTexan80 wrote:
Pastor Dillon wrote:

The organization declared its feelings on Savage when they dropped $72mm on a former Denver backup with seven career starts to his name, without even flying him in to say "hello". That wasn't chump change - that was a significant investment in a guy who was supposed to be the franchise QB for this team for the next 5-6 years. It further declared their feelings on Savage when they jettisoned that same Denver backup (along with a 2nd round pick) to clear up cap space for a 37 year old CBS Broadcaster.

The franchise as a whole isn't too high on Tommy boy, based on those two actions. If Savage was part of the big picture, it would have been a toss up between him and Weeden for the starting job last year, with a 3rd name brought in to back up whoever wins. The team didn't even entertain that - in fact, they went the stark opposite of that, overpaying for Brock. Had there been an inkling of Savage being able to be "the guy" this year, there wouldn't have been a push for Romo as well (and lets not kid ourselves, that is EXACTLY what the Brock salary dump was).

Tom is simply not in the picture. Might be a seat warmer while a young guy gets prepped to take over, might be a high end backup - but this team has had multiple chances to elevate him to the starting job, and elected to go another direction each time, directions that were intended to be long term solutions.

its all speculation that we were even going after Romo.

^S/o to El Ramster for the amazing sig
EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pastor Dillon wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
Pastor Dillon wrote:

its all speculation that we were even going after Romo.

Where there is smoke, there is fire.

If the plan was to remove Osweiler from the equation, you could cut him, take the cap hit and be in the exact same position you're at now - three defensive starters lost, a key reserve OL gone. We moved him in the fashion we did to conserve cap space, and that money has gone nowhere to this point. Unless you think there's a late charge for an Adrian Peterson or Darrelle Revis in the cards, that's a lot of cap conservation for nothing to this point.

You can call it speculation, but the evidence clearly points towards a high dollar addition to the team, one that has not materialized.

Still doesn't change the fact that the biggest FA pickup in franchise history was a player who would hopefully keep Savage on the bench. You pay $72mm to a guy, you're not putting too much faith in the guys who you do have.

vike daddy wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
I wanna be a mod.

vastly over rated.
mse326

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So let's get a bit of an consensus here.

If Reuben Foster falls to us would you take him? If no, indicate whether it is about his position, talent, or character issues.

Personally I'd take him. ILB is a need for us and he is too good. I don't like the off field stuff but I don't see anyone else available to us that would be close to his talent level. Maybe I'd feel different if I actually sat in an interview with him face to face, but there is a fine line factoring in character to determine prospective availability (his character issues don't appear to be related to on field readiness physically or mentally) and running scared anytime some isn't crystalline.

#JDI
Wolf6151

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mse326 wrote:

If Reuben Foster falls to us would you take him? If no, indicate whether it is about his position, talent, or character issues.

Personally I'd take him. ILB is a need for us and he is too good. I don't like the off field stuff but I don't see anyone else available to us that would be close to his talent level. Maybe I'd feel different if I actually sat in an interview with him face to face, but there is a fine line factoring in character to determine prospective availability (his character issues don't appear to be related to on field readiness physically or mentally) and running scared anytime some isn't crystalline.

No. Position, Talent, and Character Issues. Position- I agree that replacing Cushing is a need, but we've got much bigger and obvious teams needs than ILB in the 1st round. Talent- I like Zach Cunningham more for our defensive system and needs. I like his length, speed, and coverage abilities more than Foster. Character Issues- the issues he had at the health screening at the Combine tell me that he's probably a prima donna a-hole, bad for team chemistry. Also I read that he failed the urinalysis test due to a watered down sample which tells me he's hiding something and just plain stupid. Money doesn't change who you are, it just gives him the ability to be a much bigger a-hole.
PAtexansFAN99

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolf6151 wrote:
mse326 wrote:

No. Position, Talent, and Character Issues. Position- I agree that replacing Cushing is a need, but we've got much bigger and obvious teams needs than ILB in the 1st round. Talent- I like Zach Cunningham more for our defensive system and needs. I like his length, speed, and coverage abilities more than Foster. Character Issues- the issues he had at the health screening at the Combine tell me that he's probably a prima donna a-hole, bad for team chemistry. Also I read that he failed the urinalysis test due to a watered down sample which tells me he's hiding something and just plain stupid. Money doesn't change who you are, it just gives him the ability to be a much bigger a-hole.

I don't see us doing it. I wouldn't hate it, I haven't heard much about the character issues tho so I'm not sure. I like Cunningham too, but I agree that replacing Cushing shouldn't be at the top of our list. I expect us to compliment McKinney with a placeholder type until the opportunity presents itself to double up on blue chips at ILB (like when we drafted McKinney after years of Akeem Dents and stuff like that in there).

I think there's a few possible scenarios..

1. QB round 1
2. OL round 1
3. We take someone too talented to pass up that's sliding for some reason, like maybe OJ Howard, or John Ross, or Haason Reddick, or Johnathan Allen, or sumn like that

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10

Jump to: