Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

How long until the chargers move again?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Los Angeles Chargers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DingoLadd

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:57 am    Post subject: How long until the chargers move again? Reply with quote

In the long term the chargers will always be second fiddle to the rams(Older L.A team, it's the rams stadium and the chargers are basically tenants at best) unless they suddenly start winning and having multiple winning seasons I think within the next decade or two the chargers will be forced to move due to low attendance and or just straight up suckyness, plus I doubt Dean Spanos lives another 20+ years.

Would they dare return to San Diego (Oakland Precedent I guess) or would they pack up and move to another city? Basically what I'm asking is how long do the chargers have until they realized their horrific mistake? Also this forum is dead and I want to see if anyone actually checks here anymore.

Long live Phillip Rivers and his constant carrying of this god awful team.

Also go (South Carolina) Charleston Dingoes. Looking for a co-owner for a fantasy team so PM me please.
Highboltage55

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love for them to move back to SD, but I doubt it ever happens. Stadium issue still wouldn't be resolved and the franchises value skyrocketed with a move to LA.

Maybe Spanos sells the team in a few years, but I think they are in LA for good now.
Boltstrikes

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winning solves a lot of problems however this franchise is saddled with losers at the highest level. Rivers has at best 3 years left and I'd bet more on 2. After that we go back into quarterback purgatory. I don't see them winning the fight for Los Angeles. Just the deck is stacked against them. They should have moved back during the Marty years when it was a guaranteed playoff birth. It's amazing how downhill it's been since we lost Wade Phillips.

St Louis would be my guess of where the Chargers end up but with the continuing focus on CTE more likely then not they will just stay in LA until they devalue enough to hurt the Spano's.
game3525

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Maybe Spanos sells the team in a few years, but I think they are in LA for good now.

This.

Teams generally move because they can't get new stadiums in their respective cities, the Chargers don't have that issue anymore. It is more likely Dean sells if the team flops there, but the potential new owner will never leave LA. Because even a crappy team is worth more in LA then any other market besides NY.
DingoLadd

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

game3525 wrote:
Quote:

This.

Teams generally move because they can't get new stadiums in their respective cities, the Chargers don't have that issue anymore. It is more likely Dean sells if the team flops there, but the potential new owner will never leave LA. Because even a crappy team is worth more in LA then any other market besides NY.

The team will flop in L.A barring them actually becoming a good team, and if a new owner does buy the team it would probably be to move them somewhere (why else would you buy an NFL team but to move them to your city etc.) since the only way Spanos will stop being owner is if he dies or the team has become such a sh**show and the lost money forces him to sell

Also go (South Carolina) Charleston Dingoes. Looking for a co-owner for a fantasy team so PM me please.
game3525

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DingoLadd wrote:
game3525 wrote:
Quote:

This.

The team will flop in L.A barring them actually becoming a good team, and if a new owner does buy the team it would probably be to move them somewhere (why else would you buy an NFL team but to move them to your city etc.) since the only way Spanos will stop being owner is if he dies or the team has become such a sh**show and the lost money forces him to sell

Even if the team flops, they will never leave Los Angeles.

Ticket sales aren't that important anymore in the grand scheme of things (thanks to the shared revenue from the TV deals). What matters is the corporate suites and only NY can match LA in that regards.

Even if Dean decides to cash out, the next owner isn't leaving Los Angeles, there is far too much money to be made, even if your team is crappy.
Bolts223

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are probably never moving back to San Diego.

HOWEVER

I could one day (Not in the near future, and it would have to be with an owner with much more liquid that Spanos) see them moving to something like Anaheim if they got tired of being tenants to the Rams. They would still be the LA Chargers though.

But because of where the Chargers are playing in Carson, I think they should be trying to target South County LA/Orange County (Long Beach, Torrance and Anaheim areas in particular) just because those people will be living closer to where the Chargers play until 2019.
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DingoLadd wrote:
game3525 wrote:
Quote:

This.

You're basing this off what exactly? Like seriously, cite some reference material here. Because from where I'm standing, this reads like you're talking out your backside.

MathMan wrote:
I think I'm obfuscating all over the place!
DingoLadd

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LBC wrote:
DingoLadd wrote:
game3525 wrote:
Quote:

This.

You're basing this off what exactly? Like seriously, cite some reference material here. Because from where I'm standing, this reads like you're talking out your backside.

It's speculation about an owner potentially buying the chargers 15+ years from now of course I'm talking out my backside. I'm making a point that if Spanos ever sold the team to a new owner it'd be more likely than not the new owner would buy the team to move them.

But out of curiosity what reference material should I be citing?

The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DingoLadd wrote:
The LBC wrote:
DingoLadd wrote:
game3525 wrote:
Quote:

This.

It's speculation about an owner potentially buying the chargers 15+ years from now of course I'm talking out my backside. I'm making a point that if Spanos ever sold the team to a new owner it'd be more likely than not the new owner would buy the team to move them.

But out of curiosity what reference material should I be citing?

Something that supports why there wouldn't be any other reason someone would buy a team except to move them to their hometown?

Because there are piles upon piles of cases that show just the opposite - particularly when you're talking about teams in mega-markets (where the TV contracts and corporate-relationships alone will keep you profitable).

Steve Ballmer bought the Clippers and didn't move them (he'd also probably be a prime candidate to be someone to buyout Dean, too).
Magic Johnson and his consortium bought the Dodgers and didn't move them.
Shad Khan bought the Jaguars and, despite constant speculation by media/fans, has only invested more of his own wealth into the stadium and keeping the team in Jacksonville.
Stephen Ross has owned 95% of the Dolphins for almost a decade and hasn't tried to move them yet (and he is a Michigan guy through and through).
Terry Pegula bought the Bills with the specific aim of keeping them in Buffalo.

So I'm just curious, what are these examples that instill such confidence that a billionaire (because that's the kind of wealth it will take to buy an NFL franchise, particularly one with a foot in the LA market, you're not getting it for less than $2 billion) would only buy a team if they intended to move them to their hometown?

MathMan wrote:
I think I'm obfuscating all over the place!
TheKillerNacho

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If some city tries to lure them by building a stadium for them I think the Chargers will absolutely go for it. Spanos never did want to share a stadium with the Rams and it's only a matter of time before he realizes there is like two Chargers fans in LA and that he can't hope to compete with the Rams in that market.

I think there is a shot if Spanos sells the team they could go back to San Diego. If the new owner is in a better financial situation he may realize that building his own stadium in San Diego, where there is an already existent fanbase, would be the best for long term profits.

Nacho Simulation Football League

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Los Angeles Chargers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: