Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2017 offensive line?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BroncoBruin

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bolles finesse? We're not seeing the same player.
AnAngryAmerican

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BroncoBruin wrote:

Don't confuse aggression for play style.

Cam Robinson and, to a slightly lesser extent, Ramczyck, are more mauler-type OTs. Guys like Bolles and even Ryan Clady are more on the finesse side of things.

bhslinebacker wrote:
AAA is right, as he usually is.
AKRNA

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnAngryAmerican wrote:
BroncoBruin wrote:

Cam Robinson and, to a slightly lesser extent, Ramczyck, are more mauler-type OTs. Guys like Bolles and even Ryan Clady are more on the finesse side of things.

Wow. I'm with BB on this one. Lots of words come to mind watching this kid play and "finesse" isn't one of them.

I'm absolutely sure we're watching different players and no, I'm not confusing play style for aggression.
BroncosFan2010

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think people divide OT into 'finess' and 'mauler' and that, if you had to pick one, Bolles and his sub 300lb frame would fall into finess. He wont be blowing people off the snap in the NFL, no freaking way. If he succeeds, it will be due to pass protection and sustained run blocking (As in, engaging and keeping the defender occupied). But he isn't going to be a powerful run blocker by any means, certainly not a pancake maker. He just isn't.
AKRNA

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BroncosFan2010 wrote:
I think people divide OT into 'finess' and 'mauler' and that, if you had to pick one, Bolles and his sub 300lb frame would fall into finess. He wont be blowing people off the snap in the NFL, no freaking way. If he succeeds, it will be due to pass protection and sustained run blocking (As in, engaging and keeping the defender occupied). But he isn't going to be a powerful run blocker by any means, certainly not a pancake maker. He just isn't.

That's a pretty narrow fit for players. It's way too general.

By that description almost every O Lineman that isn't a 320'+ road grader is a "finesse" player and that's not the case. When I think of "finesse" I think of your "dancing bear" description. Bolles is anything but that.

Ty is a finesse player. Bolles is not.
germ-x

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AKRNA wrote:
BroncosFan2010 wrote:

That's a pretty narrow fit for players. It's way too general.

By that description almost every O Lineman that isn't a 320'+ road grader is a "finesse" player and that's not the case. When I think of "finesse" I think of your "dancing bear" description. Bolles is anything but that.

Ty is a finesse player. Bolles is not.

I agree with this. Bolles is not a finesse guy. He's mean as hell and plays to bury the opposition.

I think the point is that Bolles isn't going to physically dominate people with power. He's not a powerful individual who will physically impose his will on the opposition. He's an effort guy in that area of the game, but that effort is what separates him from a guy like Sambrailo. Plenty of players in this league have been great because of it. Physically from an athleticism/length standpoint Bolles is elite. He does lack the bulk and power, though, to make him a can't miss type of prospect. Had he been 6'5" 315+ pounds he'd have been a top 10 pick. Luckily, his attitude and effort likely makes up for those deficiencies and while he may not be an elite LT he's capable of being a damn good one.
elliot878

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnAngryAmerican wrote:
BroncoBruin wrote:

I think you're designating his play style as "finesse" based on his weight and athleticism. Guy was by far the meanest of the OL, he enjoys punishing people - nothing finesse about that.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

elliot878 wrote:
AnAngryAmerican wrote:
BroncoBruin wrote:

I think you're designating his play style as "finesse" based on his weight and athleticism. Guy was by far the meanest of the OL, he enjoys punishing people - nothing finesse about that.

Okay fair enough.

However, it's a lot easier to be a "bully" on the field when you're playing in Division II or in the finesse Pac-12; and don't argue with my use of the term finesse to describe Pac-12 football as it's no doubt accurate.

What's really most bothersome to me is how Broncos fans and the team's cheerleaders in the media keep hyping this "nasty demeanor" mantra about Bolles. Okay, he's nasty, we get it. That sounds like a recipe for personal foul and holding penalties, things that was awfully adept at in his one year of D-1 college football. Moreover, it's a useless trait that is used up and down as a justification for the pick. It's as annoying as the "great leader of men" borscht that's constantly drummed up about Vance.

The fact is the great leader of men's defense didn't show up, play hard or play disciplined in a playoff game. The truth is the old, under-sized OT's nasty demeanor led him to lead D1 OTs in penalties last year.

Seriously, the slogans coming out of Dove Valley about a lot of this offseason, slogans that are then trumpeted up as gospel from media cheerleaders, are bad as most politicians' campaign slogans.

There are people who compose this fan base, and I'm not speaking specifically about anyone here per se, that really need to take off their orange-hued glasses and start looking at things objectively. Being a fan is one thing, being a sycophant is whole other.

bhslinebacker wrote:
AAA is right, as he usually is.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14
Page 14 of 14

Jump to: