Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

3 Bears To Step Up
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
G08

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So is it basically Eddie Jackson vs. Tarik Cohen for punt returner duty?

"I thought it was a stroke of genius. You give [Pace] an A++++ for the move to get Trubisky. That was magnificient." - Bill Polian
dll2000

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing with Shaheen that is both concerning and promising is his blocking.

What's concerning is on film he was a very effective, but not a dominanting blocker against guys half his size. He didn't look strong despite being a monster. Now those guys even at D2 aren't scrub athletes and shouldn't be underestimated and dismissed.

What's promising is he has great feet. And great feet is the key to being a great blocker. Being a blocker, especially a pass blocker or blocking in space is about your ability to mirror someone and stay in front of them. Like a basketball defender.

Also promising that he is a giant. Size can't be taught.
Epyon

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dll2000 wrote:

What's concerning is on film he was a very effective, but not a dominanting blocker against guys half his size. He didn't look strong despite being a monster. Now those guys even at D2 aren't scrub athletes and shouldn't be underestimated and dismissed.

What's promising is he has great feet. And great feet is the key to being a great blocker. Being a blocker, especially a pass blocker or blocking in space is about your ability to mirror someone and stay in front of them. Like a basketball defender.

The flip side of that is there where a couple of reports from him in minicamp as being a bit top heavy as a result of his size. I think he just grew faster than he could really put on muscle, and I think his real production is going to start happening in another year or two of strength training. Very exciting prospect longer term, imo.... especially since it's likely he'll still be productive year 1.... If he gets the core strength to back up his footwork, he could legitimately become an elite player.
Epyon

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G08 wrote:
So is it basically Eddie Jackson vs. Tarik Cohen for punt returner duty?

Hard to say with Jackson sitting out the entire minicamp.... They've repeatedly said they had ST in mind for him as a returner when they drafted him however...

Cohen is clearly getting strong looks there, however.

The interesting question will involve what vets they try and put on KR duties.
dll2000

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Epyon wrote:
dll2000 wrote:

The flip side of that is there where a couple of reports from him in minicamp as being a bit top heavy as a result of his size. I think he just grew faster than he could really put on muscle, and I think his real production is going to start happening in another year or two of strength training. Very exciting prospect longer term, imo.... especially since it's likely he'll still be productive year 1.... If he gets the core strength to back up his footwork, he could legitimately become an elite player.

Agreed.
bearsfan323

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dll2000 wrote:

Let's say Shaheen turns out to be Jimmy Graham. Great receiver, below average blocker. Will anyone mind? I mean, you really don't take a TE that high if he's Brandon Manumaleuna. You'd much rather he be a Graham-like player. Not saying he won't be a capable blocker, but if he's a great weapon for Trubisky for the next 10 years, they can find a blocking TE in round 5 in 2019.
Madmike90

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Kevin White...should be at the top of every list...we are undermanned at the WR spot and it is a blatant need at this point when you consider we will have a 2nd year QB at the helm in 2018...if White can show he is a solid WR...not even a #1...that need becomes a want as long as Meredith is also able to reproduce his numbers from last year.

2. Eddie Goldman...but of a strange one but let me explain...when he is on the field the dude is dominant...maybe the best young 3-4 NT in football...but he played 15% of our snaps last year...Goldman has to step up in the offseason and come in to camp in his best shape to stay healthy and on the field.

3. Adrian Amos...Amos took a pounding around here last season but I think a lot of that was down to the fact he played well as a rookie and we had higher expectations for him than most of our DBs...he lost his way last year and I think that came down to playing with another young safety...all the physical talents are there so hopefully with another year in the scheme and Demps to learn on he will return to be a mainstay of that secondary...Kyle Fuller falls into the same bracket.
AZBearsFan

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bearsfan323 wrote:
dll2000 wrote:

Let's say Shaheen turns out to be Jimmy Graham. Great receiver, below average blocker. Will anyone mind? I mean, you really don't take a TE that high if he's Brandon Manumaleuna. You'd much rather he be a Graham-like player. Not saying he won't be a capable blocker, but if he's a great weapon for Trubisky for the next 10 years, they can find a blocking TE in round 5 in 2019.

Sims is the blocking TE. He was one of the most efficient blockers at TE in the league last year. Shaheen is definitely here for the Graham role. He profiles very similarly to Graham. AS is 6-6 278. JG 6-6 270. Both raw skills (JG a 1-year football player at Miami, AS from a non-FBS school) but incredible athletes for their size. I think they see AS with a similar career trajectory too. Graham as a rookie: 31-356-5. I think that's very attainable. That's 2 catches a game with red zone duties.

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I expect Shaheen to step up just based on the fact that there aren't a lot of "mouths to feed" in terms of receiver this year.
AZBearsFan

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IronMike84 wrote:
I expect Shaheen to step up just based on the fact that there aren't a lot of "mouths to feed" in terms of receiver this year.

Well Pace seems to be building this thing in the Saints offense model, and they never really had a stud #1 WR. Closest they had were Colston and Graham. Clearly Shaheen was drafted in the Graham mold. Can White be Colston with more speed? I think he can if healthy, and Meredith can be Lance Moore. All of this is fine so long as Trubisky is as advertised.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: