Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Projecting our Week 1 53 man roster
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JShank

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desperado82 wrote:
JShank wrote:
Nextyearfordaboyz wrote:
Why makes you think Lucky Whitehead is trusted?

My bad, i wasn't clear. . . IF Lucky is able to be trusted, then it could have a great effect on our roster.

He is the most explosive player we have on offense pure speed, acceleration and strength-wise. From what I have read and casually observed, he is a great blocker.

With that said, he is on thin ice, and I don't know if he even makes the roster, because of it. Ball security and reliability will need to be PROVEN throughout the off-season and pre-season. Meaning he will not only need not mess up, but affirmatively show an improvement there. Also, I don't believe the issue we saw last year, when he stayed out all night, is more than a one off.

In a perfect situation, Lucky fixes the ball security issues and the bone head stuff, and we have a guy that could play that scat-back role along with possibly Switzer. Special-teams, depth, and a sprinkle in explosive utility player on offense that can block.

I expect Switzer to take his role as "most explosive". Dude is sneaky fast and a more polished receiver than Lucky.

Switzer is likely much better than Lucky Whitehead, but he is not "more explosive" in the way I am saying. Lucky seems to have poor/amateur football skills; he does not have great vision, he is not a good WR, and his ball security issues could find him out of the NFL. He is explosive in the Forrest Gump sense. . . with that said, running fly routes, end- arounds, etc. . . while also being able to block is pretty valuable. He can take more abuse than Switzer, too, IMO. I am not advocating Lucky over Switzer, just projecting the possibilities having a trustworthy Lucky along with Switzer could create, and depth/sp. teams.
Nextyearfordaboyz

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucky is going to lose his punt return duties. If he took any snaps in the standard offense, those are gone too.

We had trouble running that jet sweep package without him last year. His only path to the roster is if the Cowboys think that package is extremely valuable (it is), and they can't find someone to adequately replace him in it.
cowboysdreamer

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would really like to see these 4 UDFA's line backers get the opportunity to make this Cowboys' Roster . These young kids really have game. With Wilber being a free agent next year and Durant and Gachkar gone there is possibly 3 spots that could be available.

Joe Jones - Northwestern 6-0" 231lbs. 4.45 -4.50 speed excellent special teams player with a lot of potential to be a starter Gil Brandt calls this guy " Dallas's hidden gem".

Darnell Leslie - Monmouth 6-2" 235lbs. watch his game film plays like a Bruce Irwin type player and is able to rush the QB. Could replace Wilber this year.

Keenan Gilchrist - Appalachian State 6-1" 230lbs. another player with good game film could be a special teams addition.

Lucas Wacha - Wyoming 6-1" 225lbs. player needs to bulk up but is a player try and hide on practice squad until Hitchens files for free agency next year.
JShank

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nextyearfordaboyz wrote:
Lucky is going to lose his punt return duties. If he took any snaps in the standard offense, those are gone too.

We had trouble running that jet sweep package without him last year. His only path to the roster is if the Cowboys think that package is extremely valuable (it is), and they can't find someone to adequately replace him in it.

If Lucky is deemed trustworthy and makes the roster along with Switzer, I think they could fill the scat-back role between the two of them. If only Switzer makes the roster, then we will have to have a 3rd HB on the roster (Jahad Thomas, who is less explosive than Lucky or Switzer IMO). Id feel fine going into a game with Zeke, McFadden and Switzer/Lucky combo. . . have a guy on the practice squad we can call up in emergency.
DaBoys

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do we not have Alf anymore? Can McFadden not handle scat back roles? We have Zeke, Alf, and McFadden. We shouldn't NEED to sign a scat back, but I understand if we find an upgrade. Our hands aren't tied though.
CAPJ

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaBoys wrote:
Do we not have Alf anymore? Can McFadden not handle scat back roles? We have Zeke, Alf, and McFadden. We shouldn't NEED to sign a scat back, but I understand if we find an upgrade. Our hands aren't tied though.

This exactly. I'd like to see Zeke get a few less carries but be more of a feature in the passing game. McFadden is solid just has durability issues.

No reason why we can't use Morris and McFadden to spell Zeke and use Zeke on more third downs or passing downs. I think that is one skillet Zeke has that we did not exploit enough of last year.
JShank

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't remember the source, but I read that we are trying to give HB reps to our FB, to have one less RB taking up a roster spot.

The talk about Lucky isn't about him being batter than anyone and taking over that role. Rather, his versatility to satisfy many roles if need be, allows for flexibility in roster spot allocations.

I think Alf is a goner. . . Sad

I
CAPJ

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

QB: Dak Prescott - Kellen Moore
(2)

RB: Ezekiel Elliott - Darren McFadden – Rod Smith
FB: Keith Smith
(4)

WR: Dez Bryant - Brice Butler
WR: T. Williams – Noah Brown
Slot: Cole Beasley - Ryan Switzer
(6)

TE: Jason Witten - Rico Gathers - Geoff Swaim – James Hanna
(4)

LT: Tyron Smith - Byron Bell/Chaz Green
LG: Jonathan Cooper - (Collins) - Looney
C: Travis Fredrickson - Looney
RG: Zach Martin - (Cooper) Looney
RT: La'el Collins - Chaz Green/Byron Bell
(Cool

Offensive Total: (24)

DE: D. Lawrence - David Irving - Charles Tapper
DT: Maliek Collins - Tyrone Crawford - (Irving)
DT: Cedric Thornton - Paea
DE: Taco Charlton – Damontre Moore - Benson Mayowa
(10)

SLB: Damien Wilson - Wilber
MLB: Jaylon Smith - Hitchens
WLB: Sean Lee - (Hitchens) - Nzeocha
(6)

CB: Orlando Scandrick - Nolan Carroll
CB: Anthony Brown - Chidobe Awuzie –Marquez White
NCB: Jourdan Lewis - (Scandrick)
FS: Byron Jones – Jeff Heath
SS: Xavier Woods – Kavon Frazier- Chidobe Awuzie
(10)

Defense Total: (26)

LS: LP
P: Chris Jones
K: Dan Bailey
(3)

KR: McFadden - Switzer
PR: Switzer- Beasley

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: