Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Should We Worry About Elway's Contract?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnAngryAmerican

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:36 pm    Post subject: Should We Worry About Elway's Contract? Reply with quote

As I think most of us know, John Elway is in the last year of his contract with the organization and has yet to sign an extension.

Nicki Jhabvala of the Denver Post has an excellent story on the negotiations between Elway and Ellis/the Bowlen family, and, as most suspect, believes that the hangup is not a result of financial compensation but rather that Elway wants a stake in ownership of the team. Give the story a read.

Quote:
As talks drag on ó and the sides have maintained dialogue recently ó the general assumption is thereís discord or tension, but a team source said thatís not the case. Elway, as he has shown with nearly every major player deal that has gone to the deadline, operates on his own time. Perhaps his own negotiations are no different.

But if thereís one given, itís this: The Hall of Famer will be paid handsomely in a manner that reflects his value to the team on and off the field.

So, this begs the question, should we be worried?

bhslinebacker wrote:
AAA is right, as he usually is.
broncos67

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably, if I'm being honest. If it was as simple as a contract, Elway could have asked for, and likely received, whatever he wanted after the SB win. Ownership is clearly at stake here as has been speculated for a long time.

I think it comes down to how much stake Elway wants in the team. I hope they come to some sort of agreement to keep Elway involved with the team in two different ways. I don't want that clown Stan Kroenke anywhere near this team.

Thanks, Tzimisce
jolly red giant

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know anything about the Bowlen family - but I haven't seen any indications that the Bowlen children have the level of commitment or interest in running the franchise the way that Pat Bowlen has since he became owner. There is a real danger that they could use it as a cash cow or sell up.

It think it would be infinitely more preferable that Elway ends up with some element of stakehold in the team than any other scenario - and I would hope that he would have first option to buy the team (as part of some consortium) if the Bowlens ended up selling.
AnAngryAmerican

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncos67 wrote:
I don't want that clown Stan Kroenke anywhere near this team.

Fortunately, league rules prohibit an owner from owning more than one team.

jolly red giant wrote:
I don't know anything about the Bowlen family - but I haven't seen any indications that the Bowlen children have the level of commitment or interest in running the franchise the way that Pat Bowlen has since he became owner. There is a real danger that they could use it as a cash cow or sell up.

I've long felt that way too.

What is interesting is that the troika that serves as the "ownership" group - Ellis, Slivka, Kelly - are tasked with deciding which member(s) of the Bowlen family will ultimately assume ownership, should be the ones that determine if and/or how much of a piece of ownership Elway can buy.

I also think it's entirely possible that the reason the negotiations are dragging on is that there are a litany of legal issues with Elway buying a stake in the team, as it was mentioned in Nicki's article, there was a huge tangle of things that prevented him from getting a stake of ownership 20 years ago.

bhslinebacker wrote:
jsthomp2007

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elway has always wanted to own the team...and...he should. What would the Broncos really be without him? When there was no John Elway, there was no Super Bowls. With Elway, there are Super Bowls. They need to find solutions to win without him, before you...you know...he dies.
AnAngryAmerican

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woody Paige, writing in the Colorado Springs Gazette, reports that John Elway and the Broncos are nearing a deal that would make Elway the highest paid GM in the league and possible include adding Chief Operating Officer to his title.

I would put a great amount of stock in this report. Woody has been around forever and I will go so far as to say that the source who gave him this scoop is likely Elway himself.

Quote:
The Broncos and Elway are negotiating a long-term agreement that could be finalized privately this week and should be announced publicly before training camp begins July 27.

Elway, I believe, has been offered $30 million-$35 million for a five-year extension, which would be his biggest contract as player or executive.

An additional title - chief operating officer - may be added, with Ellis continuing as the CEO and president and one of the three trustees of the Bowlen Family Trust

bhslinebacker wrote:
champ11

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnAngryAmerican wrote:
broncos67 wrote:

jolly red giant wrote:

What is interesting is that the troika that serves as the "ownership" group - Ellis, Slivka, Kelly - are tasked with deciding which member(s) of the Bowlen family will ultimately assume ownership, should be the ones that determine if and/or how much of a piece of ownership Elway can buy.

I also think it's entirely possible that the reason the negotiations are dragging on is that there are a litany of legal issues with Elway buying a stake in the team, as it was mentioned in Nicki's article, there was a huge tangle of things that prevented him from getting a stake of ownership 20 years ago.

It's pretty well known that the oldest son is a clown w drinking and legal issues, right?

And wow, that's big news from Woody.

team rammy

jsthomp2007

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnAngryAmerican wrote:
Woody Paige, writing in the Colorado Springs Gazette, reports that John Elway and the Broncos are nearing a deal that would make Elway the highest paid GM in the league and possible include adding Chief Operating Officer to his title.

I would put a great amount of stock in this report. Woody has been around forever and I will go so far as to say that the source who gave him this scoop is likely Elway himself.

Quote:
The Broncos and Elway are negotiating a long-term agreement that could be finalized privately this week and should be announced publicly before training camp begins July 27.

Elway, I believe, has been offered $30 million-$35 million for a five-year extension, which would be his biggest contract as player or executive.

An additional title - chief operating officer - may be added, with Ellis continuing as the CEO and president and one of the three trustees of the Bowlen Family Trust

What do the Chiefs have to do with this?
AnAngryAmerican

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

champ11 wrote:
AnAngryAmerican wrote:
broncos67 wrote:

jolly red giant wrote:

It's pretty well known that the oldest son is a clown w drinking and legal issues, right?

And wow, that's big news from Woody.

I'm pretty sure on the former point that is the youngest son, Pat's last from his marriage to Annabelle. The one who declared himself the "blood of the city" or something upon his arrest? He is, to make a probably against the rules of the forum comparison, the Barron Trump of the Bowlen family; i.e. the youngest who has nothing to ever worry about.

bhslinebacker wrote:
broncofan48

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say no:

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/9386/john-elway

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I won't lie but I was semi worried. Some good things never last, so I'm glad this was done. I feel much more comfortable now and 5 years down the line.

^ Joe_is_the_best with the sig.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: