You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Mummy: A reboot!?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Entertainment
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RavensTillIDie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calvert28 wrote:
RavensTillIDie wrote:
Got to see this for free last week. It wasn't good, but it wasn't as bad as the aggregate score on rotten tomatoes would have you believe. There were definitely some instances of humor that were quite enjoyable. at least in contrast to the typical dialogue in these action/adventure type films. The biggest problem with the movie was the tone; it just didn't know if it wanted to be a horror movie, an adventure movie or a comedy. The villain wasn't really scary enough for a horror film. The comedy was only sprinkled in and not a main focus of the film, so it couldn't really be considered a comedy. And while the action/adventure sequences were entertaining, they weren't anything that blew you away, at least not the way the movie was filmed. On top of all that, this truly felt like a setup movie. That is, the whole intent behind the film was to establish this "dark universe". I think it could have been a decent enough movie about just the Mummy, but that didn't really seem like what the studio had in mind when producing this film.

Having said that, the movie milked every ounce of it's CGI budget. The visuals were fantastic, all the actors were likable, and the film had a decent enough pace to it. Might be worth a watch if it ever comes out on Netflix or Redbox, but certainly not worth the money to see it in theaters.

Well the way you described it is exactly what they wanted to do with it. Because they are making an entire Universe of these very old novel monsters. They were basically using this entire film to try and set up all the other franchises while explaining a future story in this one. Considering this isn't Marvel or DC or even things like Star Wars or Star Trek that has huge fan bases with 10 dozen backstories already in place for a whole meld of what it would look like with everyone meeting. As I said before, they accomplished what they needed to.

IMO this is something brand new thats being done. Because I cant think of one other studio that has done this sort of thing of setting up so many other different movies that are planned to be joined together without a fan base or series of comics or stories that has already done it for them.

I kind of understand what you're saying, but the problem is, if you don't have a cornerstone (like Iron Man in the case of the MCU), every other film just falls by the wayside. That is, with this movie tanking at the box office, I don't know what the odds are of the "dark universe" continuing/gaining popularity. They tried to go all in on the universe before fleshing out the individual monsters, which probably wasn't the best route to go, imo.

Personally, I like the concept. I just can't say I love the execution. If the studio really went all in and tried to make these true horror films and melded all the monsters into one movie organically, that would be truly unique and something a ton of people would pay to watch. Think what Freddie vs Jason was supposed to be without all the stupid cheese/humor. Instead they tried to make another run of the mill action/adventure that has no unique quality to it and gets lost in the shuffle of a 100 other summer blockbusters.

bananabucket wrote:
Matts4313 wrote:
For years the argument has been, mostly, Peyton V Joe V Brady as the GOAT QB.

Flacco?
Thelonebillsfan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There really aren't any A-list actors anymore to begin with.

The days of the "box office draw" are basically over.

Adopt a Bill: WR, Robert Woods 5 rec, 86 Yards, 1 TD's
Adopt a Bill: DE/OLB, Mario Williams 8 TKLS, 4.5 Sacks, 4.5 TFL
RamRod

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Mummy wasn't great and it doesn't look like a box office hit either but I hope this doesn't affect their plans with the rest of the cinematic universe. I'm kind of interested in seeing the others and how they'll work in a modern day setting.
O'Doyle Rules

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thelonebillsfan wrote:
There really aren't any A-list actors anymore to begin with.

The days of the "box office draw" are basically over.

In terms of acting ability I think so, but like you said as box office draws it's dead.
Thelonebillsfan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good article on why this failed and also functions as a post mortem on Cruise's current career choices:

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/the-mummy-meltdown-tom-cruise-1202465742/

Basically he doesn't do any project anymore that's not a Tom Cruise vanity project/personal vehicle.

HorizontoZenith

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thelonebillsfan wrote:
Good article on why this failed and also functions as a post mortem on Cruise's current career choices:

Basically he doesn't do any project anymore that's not a Tom Cruise vanity project/personal vehicle.

Very upsetting.
Thelonebillsfan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HorizontoZenith wrote:
Thelonebillsfan wrote:

Very upsetting.

Always a shame when guys with so much acting talent waste their careers away on crap like this, Depp being another prominent example though in his case a lot of it is because he's also [inappropriate/removed] insane when it comes to spending money.

HorizontoZenith

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thelonebillsfan wrote:
HorizontoZenith wrote:
Thelonebillsfan wrote:

Very upsetting.

Always a shame when guys with so much acting talent waste their careers away on crap like this, Depp being another prominent example though in his case a lot of it is because he's also [inappropriate/removed] insane when it comes to spending money.

If something like this got out, there's a chance Universal is doing damage control trying to move on without Cruise.

I don't know why studios continue refusing to acknowledge making a dud and starting over. The Mummy with Brendan Fraser was a massive success because the director was allowed to make a perfect blend of horror/comedy/action/adventure. They already nixed Dracula Untold when they wanted that to be the start. They should just scrap it and start over.

Still haven't seen it, but this kind of stuff just turns me off entire franchises.
Breesus mode

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got back from seeing it, and I thought it was actually good. I enjoyed the acting, action, and pacing, and for me it had some legitimately scary moments. Also, Crowe as Jeckyl and Hyde was awesome.
you missed a bowl game at the end of your season
RaidersAreOne

Location: Canada, but don't worry... i'm not one of those damn dirty french.
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just saw it and thought it was decent. Good action and the CGI was great.

#JihadWard
First jersey purchased: Jamarcus Russell.
Second jersey purchased: Rolando McClain.
Next purchases: Every Chiefs, Chargers and Broncos player.
BroncosFan2010

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Always a shame when guys with so much acting talent waste their careers away on crap like this

Yep. Cruise has a great amount of talent and has made some really poor choices but he still puts out great content from time to time. I would say that Edge of Tomorrow was a borderline great Sci-Fi film, but if you look at the narrative he is about a split in terms of screen importance with Blunt. That's rare these days for Cruise, as his films usually are vehicles for his name only.

But man, 96'-99' Tom Cruise needs to come back. Jerry McGuire, Eyes Wide Shut and his most impressive performance ever, Magnolia. Guy can act.

Depp actually has put out better content in the past 10 years with at least two movies that are universally considered 'good' in Black Mass and Sweeney Todd.
HorizontoZenith

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't heard ANYTHING about this extended universe since the movie was released.

Keeping my fingers crossed they'll try again in about five years, starting it without a meddling Tom Cruise. But I know that probably won't happen.
O'Doyle Rules

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last I heard they wanted Angelina Jolie to play bride of Frankenstein, but they still haven't casted anyone.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: