You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Quarterback Competition?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thebestever6

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:28 pm    Post subject: Quarterback Competition? Reply with quote

Sorry I can't post in the new forum yet, I know this has been discussed on there. I just wanted to expand my thoughts on it. I'm not worried about how poor it has been thrown out there to this point. I have seen many national and local media expand information that both Qbs have looked terrible and none have seized the job. I heard on the herd yesterday that Denver is in dire straights at Qb.

I'm not that worried about the Qbs. I think the media tends to forget just how good Denver and their pass defense has been. It's been a top unit the past 2 years, and I don't see that changing. Have we forgotten how bad this D made Aaron Rodgers look in 2015 or even Tom Brady last year? Tom went 16 of 32 188 yards and no tds that is pedestrian.

My gut says Trevor wins the job while Paxton gets more mental reps but Paxton will start at some point this year. I think in the pre season games you'll see trevor comtinue to look safe, conservative, and efficient. But, I think you'll see Paxton continue to flash big play ability. It might even be enough to win the job. We'll see what happens but I don't think this has been a cause to worry.

Big Palooka wrote:
"They don't have to worry about him making consistent passes. They will win another 2-3 max with him at QB."
AKRNA

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Quarterback Competition? Reply with quote

thebestever6 wrote:
Sorry I can't post in the new forum yet, I know this has been discussed on there. I just wanted to expand my thoughts on it. I'm not worried about how poor it has been thrown out there to this point. I have seen many national and local media expand information that both Qbs have looked terrible and none have seized the job. I heard on the herd yesterday that Denver is in dire straights at Qb.

I'm not that worried about the Qbs. I think the media tends to forget just how good Denver and their pass defense has been. It's been a top unit the past 2 years, and I don't see that changing. Have we forgotten how bad this D made Aaron Rodgers look in 2015 or even Tom Brady last year? Tom went 16 of 32 188 yards and no tds that is pedestrian.

My gut says Trevor wins the job while Paxton gets more mental reps but Paxton will start at some point this year. I think in the pre season games you'll see trevor comtinue to look safe, conservative, and efficient. But, I think you'll see Paxton continue to flash big play ability. It might even be enough to win the job. We'll see what happens but I don't think this has been a cause to worry.

I can't post there either so.........

A perfect scenario would be Siemian winning the starting job and putting together a very strong 6-7 game run before sustaining a minor injury. Paxton steps in and plays great for about 4 games. Siemian returns, and leads us deep into the playoffs.

That's my dream scenario. We all know how much QB's are overvalued in todays NFL. (see Brock Osweiler) One of them would garner quite a bit in a trade and we'd still have the other under a rookie contract.
thebestever6

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Quarterback Competition? Reply with quote

AKRNA wrote:
thebestever6 wrote:

I can't post there either so.........

A perfect scenario would be Siemian winning the starting job and putting together a very strong 6-7 game run before sustaining a minor injury. Paxton steps in and plays great for about 4 games. Siemian returns, and leads us deep into the playoffs.

That's my dream scenario. We all know how much QB's are overvalued in todays NFL. (see Brock Osweiler) One of them would garner quite a bit in a trade and we'd still have the other under a rookie contract.

I agree on your scenario but I just can't believe the situation is dire as many are speculating. This defense is elite who made Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers look pedestrian the last 2 years.

I really that people are in for a pleasant surprise.

Big Palooka wrote:
"They don't have to worry about him making consistent passes. They will win another 2-3 max with him at QB."
jsthomp2007

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really thought that Beta thing was a fish...which is why we miss out on the new forum?

Anyway....why do we have to get all enraged over the QB position just yet? We haven't even seen them play in preseason, yet.

However, I suspect that Siemien is the better of the two. I know Lynch has all world physicality. However, Siemien isn't frail. He is the same size at Matt Ryan. Matt Ryan hasn't really had any major injury issues throughout his career. So, I am not buying that Siemien will get hurt issue. If the line is improved and he doesn't get drilled in the pocket every time he aims to pass, then I think he can stand up just as well as any other QB in the league.
thebestever6

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jsthomp2007 wrote:
Really thought that Beta thing was a fish...which is why we miss out on the new forum?

Anyway....why do we have to get all enraged over the QB position just yet? We haven't even seen them play in preseason, yet.

However, I suspect that Siemien is the better of the two. I know Lynch has all world physicality. However, Siemien isn't frail. He is the same size at Matt Ryan. Matt Ryan hasn't really had any major injury issues throughout his career. So, I am not buying that Siemien will get hurt issue. If the line is improved and he doesn't get drilled in the pocket every time he aims to pass, then I think he can stand up just as well as any other QB in the league.

I'm so torn on the competition. We saw last year lynch looked serviceable with the first 15 to 20 scripted plays. So what if in preseason he looks more than servicable with the scripted plays and looks servicable with the unscripted plays?

I truly feel like this competition is just getting started. A former coach even went on to say Lynch is a gamer. He plays his best when it's on the line.

It's going to be raining thursday with 12 mph winds. Yet another factor working against Siemian. The deck is stacked in Lynchs favor.

Big Palooka wrote:
thebestever6

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think every Broncos fan dream for this year is if Trevor balls out misses a couple games Paxton comes in plays well to show he's the future, but Trevor just is the leader of this team.

Trevor than leads this team deep into the playoffs and then who knows what happens.

The offseason comes and the Broncos get a kings ransom for Trevor ala Jay Cutler or at the very least 2 seconds and a third.

But the more I think about it the more thats not gonna happen. Kirk Cousins is a free agent a top 12 qb, this next draft has two to 3 blue chip qb prospects.

The supply and demand just doesn't add up.

So starting Trevor is making less and less sense for the Denver Broncos if Paxton Lynch shows any type of competence at qb.

the top 3 qb trades I remember were.

Jay Cutler- was traded for 2 firsts, 3rd, Kyle Orton. Amazing haul but Jay had amazing Farve like ability, who was coming of a pro bowl year his 3rd year in the league.

Alex Smith- I believe he netted 2 seconds and a third. This was so supply and demand. The 2013 crop of qbs sucked, no good free agents were available. Smith was a competent proven qb who had siccess and won games.

Brett Favre- Traded for a first after being a secomd roind pick Packers just loved him straight up. Atlanta loved the pick they got over Favre.

All these qbs have one thing in common upside, supply and demand, draft prestige.

Big Palooka wrote:
jsthomp2007

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thebestever6 wrote:
jsthomp2007 wrote:

I'm so torn on the competition. We saw last year lynch looked serviceable with the first 15 to 20 scripted plays. So what if in preseason he looks more than servicable with the scripted plays and looks servicable with the unscripted plays?

I truly feel like this competition is just getting started. A former coach even went on to say Lynch is a gamer. He plays his best when it's on the line.

It's going to be raining thursday with 12 mph winds. Yet another factor working against Siemian. The deck is stacked in Lynchs favor.

Why would the rain and wind work against Siemien? You do realize where he played college ball, right?
thebestever6

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jsthomp2007 wrote:
thebestever6 wrote:
jsthomp2007 wrote:

Why would the rain and wind work against Siemien? You do realize where he played college ball, right?

I understand that but He didn't light it up there and has a weaker arm.

Big Palooka wrote:
jsthomp2007

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think he has a week arm. I am not sure where that comes from? Nor is he frail, he about the same size as Matt Ryan, Aaron Rogers, and Eli Manning.
AKRNA

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jsthomp2007 wrote:
I don't think he has a week arm. I am not sure where that comes from? Nor is he frail, he about the same size as Matt Ryan, Aaron Rogers, and Eli Manning.

I'm not sure where the "weak arm" discussion comes from. I've watched him throw 30-40 yard darts and nice long balls. I've also read from multiple sources that he definitely has an NFL caliber arm and can make all the throws.

I'd say accuracy and consistent ball placement need some work but I wouldn't be concerned about his arm strength.
jsthomp2007

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AKRNA wrote:
jsthomp2007 wrote:

I'm not sure where the "weak arm" discussion comes from. I've watched him throw 30-40 yard darts and nice long balls. I've also read from multiple sources that he definitely has an NFL caliber arm and can make all the throws.

I'd say accuracy and consistent ball placement need some work but I wouldn't be concerned about his arm strength.

AKRNA, Siemien keeps proving the doubters wrong. Even I was convinced there that Paxton would supplant Siemien, but then you read that Siemien is starting to separate himself from Lynch...and now he is going to start the first preseason game...

There are just one of two scenarios that can explain this 1) Siemien is coming into his own, and he is QOTF for the Broncos, or 2) Lynch is really that bad and way far behind than we ever thought.
iLikeDefense

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's clear that Siemian needs to be the starter for this season. I think Lynch may have made improvements (going by practice reports) but he's not ready. I think this offense can really make Siemian appear better than he is which is fine by me. Nice to see Sloter get some quick good work. I'm really interested in Kelly as well. Its a frustrating situation but a good situation to have. Just don't want to waste our D's good years.

^ Joe_is_the_best with the sig.
jsthomp2007

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will admit. I wasn't excited by Siemien or Lynch's play last night. I am not sure what they are going to do, but they need a franchise guy. Perhaps that AJ McCarron rumor should have been legit. He played well against the Broncos a few years ago...he scared me enough to the point where I was rooting to play the Steelers and not the Bengals during the Broncos Super Bowl run.

We know Kaep isn't the answer. I heard there are some blue chip QBs in next year's draft. Can the Broncos make a run at someone like Aaron Rogers, who I believe is a free agent next year?

It is a total pipe dream, but what could the Broncos give the Chargers to get Philip Rivers? He loves playing in Denver, and he knows the Mike McCoy system. I would wet myself it hey could manufacture that trade somehow. I would give Siemien and a #1 for that deal.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: