Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Real Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daintrain28

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 10:52 am    Post subject: The Real Question Reply with quote

No one has touched on this, but I see this as the real question to the Packer's success. Will Mike Sherman or Tom Rossley be calling the plays next year? Sherman said he prefers not to be calling the plays, because it gives him time to tinker with the defense. He also promised Bates complete control over the D. At the end of the day that might be the biggest thing ensuring the Packer's success or demise.
KiwiFan94

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Sherman is calling the plays all will be good if Rossley is calling the plays there might be a problem. I really think Sherman is a good play caller he won a lot of games with his plays. Tom Rossley might be the worse OC in the league to be honest. I think Bates will handle the defense very well but I hope Sherman is calling to O - Plays.

~Mozilla on the sig~
stallyns

Global Moderator
FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KiwiFan94 wrote:
If Sherman is calling the plays all will be good if Rossley is calling the plays there might be a problem. I really think Sherman is a good play caller he won a lot of games with his plays. Tom Rossley might be the worse OC in the league to be honest. I think Bates will handle the defense very well but I hope Sherman is calling to O - Plays.

I agree, but I think Sherman also has a problem with not letting things work out without trying to tinker with them.
maybe too confusing, but case in point, on the 4th and 26 play I've heard that Sherman changed the play at the last minute and the D-line and secondary caught it but the linebackers didn't whiched caused Nick Barnett to be out of position
after the game, Donatell supposedly confronted Sherman in the locker room about it
and of course, Donatell was fired shortly thereafter
#59 - OL Jack Mewhort Ohio ST
#90 - WR Donte Moncrief Ole Miss
#166 - OLB Johnathan Newsome Ball ST
#203 - ILB Andrew Jackson Western Kentucky
#232 - OT Ulrick John Georgia ST
daintrain28

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KiwiFan94 wrote:
Tom Rossley might be the worse OC in the league to be honest.- Plays.

Now hold on just a second here! Tom Rossley is an awful play caller I will agree with you on that. But he is an exceptional Offensive Coordinator. He is a big time reason for the Packer's offensive success in recent years. There is a lot more that goes into being an Offensive Coordinator than callingplays. Rossley excels at game planning. He is an exceptional teacher and developer of talent. Look at all the low round draft picks who have exceled under Rossley's leadership. Donald Driver, Tony Fisher, Najeh Davenport, Mark Tauscher. The guy has done an exceptional job. Great OC awful playcaller.
KiwiFan94

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Great OC awful playcaller.

Well when I said he was the worst OC I was meaning the worst playcaller.

~Mozilla on the sig~
daintrain28

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then I'd have to agree with you.

Mark my words, this one decision will be as much a part of GB's success as anything else.
daintrain28

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And might I add that I feel optiistic that Sherman will do the right thing. Sherman is an obsessive compulsive, I think in order to be a good coach in this league you have to be. Part of the reason Bates came to GB is because Serman promised him total control of the Defense. If Sherman can't tinker with the D, than what can he tinker with? The O, and that's exactly what we want him to do.

Also, I think Sherman being stripped of his GM duties lit a fire under his behind that will cause him to get after players, which is also what we want.

I know Viking fans feel pretty confident about there personnel moves with players. I think the changes we made to the frot office and coaching staff will be a bigger impact.
ikkf

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty sure I read a couple of weeks ago that Sherman will be calling the offensive plays this coming season...

No link for you though...
KiwiFan94

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And might I add that I feel optiistic that Sherman will do the right thing. Sherman is an obsessive compulsive, I think in order to be a good coach in this league you have to be. Part of the reason Bates came to GB is because Serman promised him total control of the Defense. If Sherman can't tinker with the D, than what can he tinker with? The O, and that's exactly what we want him to do.

Also, I think Sherman being stripped of his GM duties lit a fire under his behind that will cause him to get after players, which is also what we want.

I know Viking fans feel pretty confident about there personnel moves with players. I think the changes we made to the frot office and coaching staff will be a bigger impact

Yeah I totally agree I think Sherman well be tinkering with the O and make it work like he did last year. I also agree with your last statement all the moves we did in the front office is as big as what the vikings got in FA.

~Mozilla on the sig~
hauschild

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, we shouldn't discount all the recent speculation that Thompson will not retain Sherman after this season. I would have to guess that Sherman will get an extension, but I've heard a fair number of stories stating that it was only a 50-50 chance that Sherman is coaching at this time next year for the Green Bay Packers.

Personally, I think he's a decent coach who seems to be able to win games, which is number one priority. However, he seems to have strong allegiances with his coaching staff which is good and bad. Prime example was promoting Bob Slowik. If Slowik had incorporated an entirely new scheme, I wouldn't have questioned Sherman's motives. The fact that he ran basically the same scheme and was a far worse communicator than Donatell really makes me scratch me head when I think about it.

One thing I think we can all agree upon is that his selection of Jim Bates will do wonders in him coaching another 4 years in Green Bay. I don't think I've ever heard one negative thing about Jim Bates, other than he's not a real big-time coach with huge career aspirations...like that's really a big deal.
daintrain28

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But Haus I'm focusing on this year. I think GB could have a really good chance to be an excellent team. There is a lot of depth at a lot of positions. The play calling issue is huge, also how good is Jim Bates with entirely new personnel. All-in-all though, I think this could be a good team.
DarthFavre

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last Packer Plus said that Sherman WILL be calling all the plays this year.
mgcc1949

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rossely as the builder/teacher of the offense: Good idea.
Bates as the ruler of the defense: Great idea.
Sherman as the playcaller of the offense: Good idea.
Sherman as the coach that doesn't have to worry about personnel issues and get so bogged down: PRICELESS!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: