Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Washington

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cheezy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 7:30 pm    Post subject: Washington Reply with quote

Donnell Washington By Todd Korth , packrepted@aol.com
Date: Jun 23, 2005

USA Today recently published a list of the 25 best defensive ends and defensive tackles in the National Football League, according to a complex, week-to-week formula produced by The Sports Xchange. Of the 50 defensive linemen between both lists of players, the Green Bay Packers are represented by one player – Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila – and he is in the bottom fifth among defensive ends.

The Packers did not have any representation among the top 25 defensive tackles. Surprised? Hardly.
Unless you’ve been tied up in a cave somewhere across the world in the past two years, it is obvious that the Packers need help along the defensive line. They need a play-maker in the middle, a disruptive force, a revelation that will allow their ends and linebackers to get to the quarterback and stop the run.

In the past couple of seasons, the Packers have struggled sacking quarterbacks and have often whiffed while attempting to tackle running backs at the line of scrimmage. Part of the reason is the lack of production from the defensive tackle, or “three-techique” position.

The Packers thought Cletidus Hunt was the play-maker they were looking for when they signed him to a six-year, $25.5 million extension in 2003, but he has been a bust. Hunt is too inconsistent, and judging by his June minicamp absences the last two seasons, he has pretty much taken the $6 million bonus money he received as part of his contract and is running away from the Packers. Free agent Cullen Jenkins gave Hunt a push last year, and, in fact, started ahead of him in the season finale. Jenkins has showed potential, but that’s about it. Now new coordinator Jim Bates wants him at defensive end more often than defensive tackle.

Corey Williams has the inside track entering training camp as the starter at the three-technique position. Williams, a second-year pro, has the quickness and same size as Hunt to be a disruptive force, but he has to prove it in camp. He has the ability and some experience at tackle to produce from the tackle position, and that’s why he has the inside track.

If there is a sleeper among the defensive tackles to start at the three-technique position, it is second-year pro Donnell Washington, who is a little bigger and stronger than the 6-foot-4, 313-pound Williams. If you are not familiar with Washington, you are not alone among Packers fans. Washington spent all of his rookie season on injured reserve after he sustained a foot injury early in training camp last year. Washington was the second of Green Bay’s three third-round selections in the 2004 NFL draft. He got off to a promising start in the minicamps and training camp, then suffered a foot/arch injury in an Aug. 6 training camp practice.

At 6-foot-6, 328 pounds, Washington has the same size as some of the top defensive tackles in the league – Minnesota’s Kevin Williams, New England’s Richard Seymour and Jacksonville’s Marcus Stroud. Whether or not he has the same play-making abilities as them remains to be seen, but his size, long arms (36-inch span) and strength give him a good head start.

Is Washington durable? Is he quick enough? The jury is still out, but he has the right attitude. He remained in Green Bay this off-season, participating in the team’s workout program and taking advantage of the “opportunity” practices and the team’s two minicamps. Plus, Washington’s back is against the wall in Green Bay. He simply has to make an impression upon the coaches in camp, or get cut. The Packers cannot afford to keep Washington around based on his potential if he doesn’t show anything in camp. So, look for the big guy from Clemson to open some eyes.

In fact, Washington may be one of the main reasons why the Packers chose not to select a defensive lineman in the April NFL draft. The Packers were high on Washington last year, trading up in the draft to get him, so they will give the big man every opportunity to prove he can help the Packers win this season.

If all goes well, the Packers may have the play-maker that they desperately need at defensive tackle.

A day old, o well.

Keep an eye on this big guy. And i mean seriously watch this guy even after all the other topics started about this guy earlier this one intrigues me the most about Donnell.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a good feeling about this kid he should take over when Grady is gone and do a great job image in a couple years a DT will be good with Corey Williams and Donell Washington.

~Mozilla on the sig~
daintrain28

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget Cullen Jenkins. The guy Jim Bates called the best inside pass rushing talent he'd ever seen.
KiwiFan94

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah but I have herd that he is playing Jenkins more at DE then at DT.

~Mozilla on the sig~
Cheezy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't Corey Williams being tryed out at DE to? Or am i thinking of someone else?

Last edited by Cheezy on Sat Jun 25, 2005 10:49 am; edited 1 time in total
daintrain28

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See I heard that Bates was toying with the idea of moving Jenkins to DE, but that was around the same time he was toying with moving Barnett to WLB, and moving Thomas to Safety, I guess I just figured that since all of the other ones didn't pan out, neither would the Jenkins move.

I think if Kampman had signed with the Vikes, there would be more of an urge to move Jenkins. If he stays at DT there will be one heck of a battle between Washington and Jenkins for what used to be Hunt's position.
KiwiFan94

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I think it will be more between Corey Williams and Cullen Jenkins then Donell Washington. I would like to see Donell play more were Grady is playing because he is a run plugger.

~Mozilla on the sig~
daintrain28

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya, except remember how good the Bear's Defense was in 2001 when they had 2 big guys in the middle? Keith Traylor was one, I can't think of the other. But with Washington and Jackson in the middle, it could free up our undersized LB's. Heck, Urlacher is undersized, but the big DL's do the job for him. I think the same thing could happen in GB. By the way, I think Williams, Washington & Jenkins will all make the team. And if they all play well enough who knows, maybe we'll be rotating all 4 in there.
KiwiFan94

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heck I already see us roating these guys in there.

DE - KGB roates with Mike Montgomery

DE Aaron Kampman roates with R-Kal Truluck

DT- Corey Williams roates with Donell Washington

NT - Grady Jackson roates with Cullen Jenkins

~Mozilla on the sig~
daintrain28

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait Cullen Jenkins at NT? I thought you just said you wanted to see Washington there?
stallyns

Global Moderator
FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

daintrain28 wrote:
Ya, except remember how good the Bear's Defense was in 2001 when they had 2 big guys in the middle? Keith Traylor was one, I can't think of the other. But with Washington and Jackson in the middle, it could free up our undersized LB's. Heck, Urlacher is undersized, but the big DL's do the job for him. I think the same thing could happen in GB. By the way, I think Williams, Washington & Jenkins will all make the team. And if they all play well enough who knows, maybe we'll be rotating all 4 in there.

They had Ted Washington in there, and they went 13-3, the next year Washington missed the whole season and Urlacher was never as great as he was that year
#59 - OL Jack Mewhort Ohio ST
#90 - WR Donte Moncrief Ole Miss
#166 - OLB Johnathan Newsome Ball ST
#203 - ILB Andrew Jackson Western Kentucky
#232 - OT Ulrick John Georgia ST
KiwiFan94

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Wait Cullen Jenkins at NT? I thought you just said you wanted to see Washington there?

Yeah I would like to see Washington there at NT but last year on passing downs and on 3rd downs they put Jenkins at NT for pass rush. I expect they will do that this year also.

~Mozilla on the sig~
daintrain28

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The truth is if we have 4 good DT/NT's like we think we do, they all might be getting A LOT of playing time at both positions.
KiwiFan94

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is true.

~Mozilla on the sig~
mgcc1949

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

May I mention one more name every one seems to be forgettiing?
Kenny Peterson!
A look at the DLine shows a few obvious:
KGB at RE, Kampman at LE and Jackson at NT.
Now... start rotating in the young, hungry Packers!
Jenkins at inside rush tackle (Santana Doston?), Washington, Collin Cole, Corey Williams, Kenny Peterson, James Lee, Mike Montgomery, AJ Lindsay...
Throw in some stunts and give the opposing offense so many different looks so that they don't know who is playing end or tackle!
At least opposing offense won't have too look for C.Hunt and R-Kal Badluck.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: