Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Mathias Kiwanuka to play linebacker?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
john_moser1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tatupu_64 wrote:
IrishGreen wrote:
Tatupu_64 wrote:
How long ago did this happen? I ussually don't miss out on this type of thing.

I heard about it like a month ago in my ESPN the magazine.

wow, i feel like an idiot Embarassed

yeah i remember hearing of it a while ago
mlv

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. The Giants did not want Cato June badly. They did not even offer him a contract. He would not have been a good fit in the Giants' defensive scheme.

I am a fan of this move. Kiwi will probably have some bumps in the road, but I think he's going to be fine once he gains experience. Kiwi is also on record saying the Giants told them about this idea in January or February.
PrplePplBleeder

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked him in college, I didn't really keep track of him this year but I think this should definately be temporary. I think this underutilizes his speed, now he's just a pretty fast OLB as opposed to be being a speed freak of a DE. Either way, wish the kid luck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3J17S4vHnw

Future NFL kicker? Thoughts?
He's my future client. Contact me NFL.
Big7BenMVP

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While this is still old news, it's a great move from the New York Giants. He can play SLB very well because he has solid athleticism and can stick with tight ends down the field. He can shed blocks. He can stuff the run. And, he is long enough to disrupt the windows that quarterbacks have to throw the ball into. The move makes sense. Strahan and Umenyiora rushing off of the edges, with Kiwanuka able to do the same thing from his strongside linebacker position. It figures to be a great scheme. You then have Antonio Pierce and Gerris Wilkinson to round out the linebacking corps, and it's a very good front seven when you add in Fred Robbins and Barry Cofield. It's a formidable front seven, that's for sure.

as11osu wrote:
You want to own a Hummer, go for it I guess. It's a selfish decision and a true reflection of character IMO.
^^^ The reason assumptions are dumb. ^^^
#1CARDSFAN

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big7BenMVP wrote:
While this is still old news, it's a great move from the New York Giants. He can play SLB very well because he has solid athleticism and can stick with tight ends down the field. He can shed blocks. He can stuff the run. And, he is long enough to disrupt the windows that quarterbacks have to throw the ball into. The move makes sense. Strahan and Umenyiora rushing off of the edges, with Kiwanuka able to do the same thing from his strongside linebacker position. It figures to be a great scheme. You then have Antonio Pierce and Gerris Wilkinson to round out the linebacking corps, and it's a very good front seven when you add in Fred Robbins and Barry Cofield. It's a formidable front seven, that's for sure.

If that team stays healthy there is now way they are picking top 5. Cornerback was the Giants biggest defensive problem area and they got a good one in Ross who can start right away.The offense as we know are gonna put points on the board if they stay healthy as well.Tiki Barber was not worth 5 wins all by himself. I cannot wait to see Brandon Jacobs take on a bigger role and Droughns will more then likely excel in a role where he sees spot duty instead of starting. Toomer back healthy and Rice getting more playing time to take the heat off Burress.Sorry to get off topic but great post on the Giants defense if they stay healthy.
mlv

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="#1CARDSFAN"]Tiki Barber was not worth 5 wins all by himself. quote]

Applause I commend you sir for your astute observation. All I keep seeing is how the loss of Tiki Barber will doom the Giants to having a bad 2007 season. I understand Brandon Jacobs has a lot to prove, and him/Droughns will not fill the shoes of Barber 100%, but is it so far-fetched that the two of them can produce something like 85% of what Barber produced and Eli plays better than last year?

Sorry for getting off topic but again #1 CARDSFAN thank you for your observation.

Oh one more thing about Kiwi, Spagnuolo plans to use him similar to how the Cowboys use Ware.
jagz4life

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not? They let go of Arrington and Emmons, and they are fine at DE.

Try it out.
tipceey

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea the giants had no interest in June after about a week because he doesnt come close to fitting spags scheme...he's a cover 2 OLB through and through

NETS
Giants
Jets
Mets

Manning > Romo wrote:
WTF!
Did every DB on our team turn into Braylan Edwerds?
rant67

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jagz4life wrote:
Why not? They let go of Arrington and Emmons, and they are fine at DE.

Try it out.
I believe Kiwanuka will excel tremendously at the OLB position. Great athleticism that is scary to every QB in the league. Great move for the Giants IMO.

To always be remembered...
LHEEZY

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it is a pretty good move considering how athletic the man is. That Gaints D wasn't too good last year and it is best for them to utilize all of their best players. Now they have Umenyiora (sp???) and Strahan at DE and they can still utilize Kiwnuka's athletic ability at OLB.

OLB Kawika Mitchell
MLB Antonio Pierce
OLB Mathias Kiwanuka

Good move for the G-men IMO.
Jetsalltheway39

Most Valuable Poster
Trophy Room
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is really a great move by the Giants. Instead of starting the not so great Reggie Torbor, the Giants are cashing in and gaining full advantage of there 2006 first round pick.

Mathias Kiwanuka will be the starting SLB for the Giants this upcoming season. He has enough speed to cover the tight ends, the size to plug gaps and knock down passes. Kiwanuka will also be great when he bltizes from the end as he does a great job of shedding blocks and has the quickness to zoom by the offensive linemen, as he displayed last year. I also expect Kiwanuka to excel in run support.

The Giants now will have there best athletes on the field. With two great defensive ends and a starting linebacker group that consist of Kiwanuka, Antonio Pierce and Kawika Mitchell the Giants have a solid front seven.
#1CARDSFAN

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="mlv"]
#1CARDSFAN wrote:
Tiki Barber was not worth 5 wins all by himself. quote]

=D> I commend you sir for your astute observation. All I keep seeing is how the loss of Tiki Barber will doom the Giants to having a bad 2007 season. I understand Brandon Jacobs has a lot to prove, and him/Droughns will not fill the shoes of Barber 100%, but is it so far-fetched that the two of them can produce something like 85% of what Barber produced and Eli plays better than last year?

Sorry for getting off topic but again #1 CARDSFAN thank you for your observation.

Oh one more thing about Kiwi, Spagnuolo plans to use him similar to how the Cowboys use Ware.

Well Tiki's impending retirement was a distraction as well and John Hufnagel has been fired.Those are 2 other reasons to believe that the Giants offense can not get any worse.No need to thank me for telling the truth. I am not a huge Giants fan but i hope they stay healthy to prove the naysayers wrong this year. Good luck on the season.
F_R_A_N_K_A_Y_Y

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nature wrote:
IrishGreen wrote:
Nature wrote:
Its kind of old,after the Bucs stole June from them, I think they are desperate. JMO

June was from the Colts.

yea but they wanted June bad

What are you talking about, the Giants never had any intention of signing June, dont listen to John Clayton.
dtwizzy2k5

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#1CARDSFAN wrote:
If that team stays healthy there is now way they are picking top 5.

Yes there is.
Quote:

Cornerback was the Giants biggest defensive problem area and they got a good one in Ross who can start right away.

Cornerbacks don't just come in and play great in their rookie seasons as no1 CBs, no matter how good they are. You are sadly mistaken if Aaron Ross will fix their CB problems in his rookie year.
Quote:

The offense as we know are gonna put points on the board if they stay healthy as well.

Do we really know that? The Giants offense ranked 14th with Tiki Barber, which means they will be below average without him. Not to mention the loss of Petitgout...

Quote:
Tiki Barber was not worth 5 wins all by himself.

Yeah he was. We're talking about the 4th leading rusher here...

Quote:
I cannot wait to see Brandon Jacobs take on a bigger role and Droughns will more then likely excel in a role where he sees spot duty instead of starting.

Brandon Jones wont be able to carry the load effectively and the fact that Droughns is doing "spot duty" should tell you all you need to know about his level of talent...

Quote:
Toomer back healthy and Rice getting more playing time to take the heat off Burress.Sorry to get off topic but great post on the Giants defense if they stay healthy.

Since when is Amani Toomer even that good? And i dont even know who "Rice" is, i assume you talk of Sinorice Moss?

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=4032056&sid=46043bada13909aa3b3823c562cb2514#4032056 CLICK THE LINK FOR MY LATEST MOCK DRAFT
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Art_Vandalay

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This actually doesn't surprise me. Coughlin is an idiot.

It would make sense if they ran a 3-4 scheme ... but whatever.

Finally doesn't choke.

Breaks back.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: