Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Falcons and Jags reportedly looking at Gaither
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
broncos67

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:16 pm    Post subject: Falcons and Jags reportedly looking at Gaither Reply with quote

According to this article http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2930513 the Jags anf Falcons had "multiple scouts" working out there.

You guys think Gaither is a good fit for either of these teams? I think he would be a nice addition to Jacksonville. Not entirely sure about Atlanta, as admittedly I dont know much about them. If they're still runing a ZBS, it's not a good idea IMO. Gaither isn't really a ZBS type of blocker.

Thanks, Tzimisce
thesickness89

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hed be a good fit with the falcons, he is not a ZBS, and they dont use that anymore i believe

Judgement tiiiiiiiiiiiiiime
roysmyboy31

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Falcons don't use the zone blocking scheme anymore. I'm 95% sure that Petrino wants bigger, stronger lineman for straight-ahead running.

I hope the Cowboys at least look at him.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roysmyboy31 wrote:

I hope the Cowboys at least look at him.
Oh believe me, they will indeed take a double look at him and I am almost sure they already have. The problem is, thirty one other teams are going to be looking at him as well. Maybe 20 - 30% of them will pitch in an offer and try to grab him.

I would say the top five teams interested that have the best chance of landing him would be...

(Not in order)

1. Atlanta Falcons
2. Jacksonville Jaguars
3. Dallas Cowboys
4. New York Giants
5. Miami Dolphins

Now the Raiders would love to have a stud like this to assure the LT spot but frankly I am almost certain that they could not afford him at the moment.

To always be remembered...
JonesDrew32

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would love for the Jags to get Gaither

yes we have Khalif Barnes, Tony Pashos, Maurice Williams and big Richard Collier all at the OT position but you cant pass up on Gaither

He is an unreal prospect and is still only getting better

Gaither is an amazing athlete and is an absolute animal. He is 6'9 and 350 pounds, he is so strong and has the ability to domiante almost every defender he goes up against. He rarely gets bull rushed or overpowered by DE's going up against him because he is such a strong man. Gaither is an incredible athlete, some DE's may think they can get right be him and get to the QB easily because he wieghs a lot but is pass protection is amazing. In his 1st year with the Maryland Terps he didnt allow a sack. He can run a 4.75 forty despite his weight and he also had a 35 inch vertical jump. His potential is off the charts and he would be a great addition to whoever gets him

Last edited by JonesDrew32 on Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
BigBen7

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the Raiders and Giants should really take a look at this guy, as they both desperately need a Franchise LT.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see the Falcons make a move for him since their going to need somebody to replace Wayne Gandy whos 36 years old.
BigBen7

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SublimeViking wrote:
I can see the Falcons make a move for him since their going to need somebody to replace Wayne Gandy who's 36 years old.

36?! Man I'm still surprised he's still a starter.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt the Falcons get Jared Gaither. Take a look at this and you'll see what I mean.

rotoworld wrote:
PRO FOOTBALL: Falcons will pass on supplemental draft

The Falcons have no plans to participate in Thursday's NFL supplemental draft, the team said Monday. If a team participates in the supplemental draft it must forfeit a corresponding pick from the 2008 NFL entry draft

http://www.rotoworld.com/Content/playernews.aspx?sport=NFL

It's probably not a good idea for the Falcons to not participate in the Supplemental Draft. They need to go after Jared Gaither, he's huge, he stands 6'9 and weighs 330 pounds. Wayne Gandy is 36 years old and the Falcons need to get Gaither to be the future replacement for him.
jetsfan4life51

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If a team is in a good enough position to let go of a draft pick I don't see why they wouldn't jump on this guy. For instance, the Jaguars don't have many holes, and Gaither would make the offense great in a year or two. Another team could be the Cowboys. Offensive Line is probably the biggest, and one of the few needs. They can afford to lose a draft pick for a player with this ridiculous potential.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RamRod wrote:
I doubt the Falcons get Jared Gaither. Take a look at this and you'll see what I mean.

rotoworld wrote:

The Falcons have no plans to participate in Thursday's NFL supplemental draft, the team said Monday. If a team participates in the supplemental draft it must forfeit a corresponding pick from the 2008 NFL entry draft

It's probably not a good idea for the Falcons to not participate in the Supplemental Draft. They need to go after Jared Gaither, he's huge, he stands 6'9 and weighs 330 pounds. Wayne Gandy is 36 years old and the Falcons need to get Gaither to be the future replacement for him.

Yeah thats believable, send a bunch of scouts to his pro-day, then say you wont participate in the sumplemental draft.

As PFT said, the supplemental draft is just a game of poker.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

F_R_A_N_K_A_Y_Y wrote:
RamRod wrote:

rotoworld wrote:

Yeah thats believable, send a bunch of scouts to his pro-day, then say you wont participate in the sumplemental draft.

As PFT said, the supplemental draft is just a game of poker.

I'm just going by what the website said and as I said it wouldn't be a good idea.
Woz

Location: in a land where the furniture folds to a much smaller size
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, maybe it's just me, but I have a problem with a guy who fails out of school. Is it an intellect issue, or (as I am completely guessing) an effort issue?

On top of that, I'm looking over the list of Supplemental Draft picks, and the success rate seems a lot lower to me. I am not saying that some don't pan out (Cris Carter probably being the biggest success of all the names listed); I would be wary based on historical trends.
Nextyearfordaboyz

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do the Jaguars ever pursue a player of normal size?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nextyearfordaboyz wrote:
Do the Jaguars ever pursue a player of normal size?

Nope, we like 'em as big as possible. JDR's gameplan is to just have the opponent give up after seeing how big we are... I think we can pull it off by 2011. Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: