Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

International Players on NFL Practice Squads

View previous topic :: View next topic  
marky_b27

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:57 pm    Post subject: International Players on NFL Practice Squads Reply with quote

Firstly, I hope this is the sort of thing which goes onto this part of the forum:

http://www.nfl.com/international/story/10250560

I really think this is a good thing, especially with the closure of NFL Europa, you never know, you may find a potential starter. More in detail about the Brits, Danny Watts spent last year on the Bengals practice squad, so its good to see him getting another year. Also, I really pleased Allen got in, he is a young guy (22 or 23), and should have a real chance at impressing people in the Bears run first offense.

Here is a link from the UK NFL site giving a bit more information about the UK players:

http://www.nfluk.com/news-display.php?id=2495

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Marky > Foles
VY

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We'll see if any of these guys can make a roster, definitely won't be easy. I'm sure that there's a chance for a few of them to make an NFL roster, but I don't know each team's depth at every position, so it's pretty hard to say.

The German DE Winkler, might actually have a decent shot with the Titans. We have a bunch of young unproven guys, many who have had injury-plagued careers. I'd love to see him come in and beat out some guys, I just don't know how realistic that is.
Woz

Location: in a land where the furniture folds to a much smaller size
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They've done this before.

http://www.nfleurope.com/teams/story/NAT/9508306

Quote:
The third year [Woz: The article is from last June, so this season will be the fourth year this has happened] of NFL International Development Practice Squad program will see teams in the NFC East and AFC North divisions each carry an NFLEL national player on their practice squad roster for the duration of the upcoming campaign.

Phillipe Gardent (LB for Cologne Centurions) was on the Redskins practice squad roster last year I believe.

One thing the article doesn't mention (maybe they have changed this?) is that when Gardent was on the Redskins practice squad, he did not count against the practice squad roster limit.

Of course, the major problem with disbanding the NFL Europe is that you will lose these guys (they have nowhere to play anymore). Some might think "no big loss," but remember: the NFL is trying to expand the brand internationally. People who play football generally watch football and get their friends interested as well. *shrugs* Go Galaxy! (that would be Frankfurt for those who don't know)
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Vikings will carry offensive lineman Seppo Evwaraye, a native of Finland, on their practice squad this season as part of an NFL program to promote international interest in the game.

http://www.startribune.com/vikings/story/1293308.html

hmm... if he finds himself eventually at the bottom of our depth chart, would that means he finnishes last...?

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
jg6041

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
The Vikings will carry offensive lineman Seppo Evwaraye, a native of Finland, on their practice squad this season as part of an NFL program to promote international interest in the game.

hmm... if he finds himself eventually at the bottom of our depth chart, would that means he finnishes last...?

This Forum is now official. Vike Daddy has made his first joke on the News Forum. Sadly there are many more to come. Wink

The Jets punter Ben Graham is from Australia. I am not a big fan of the games going overseas this year. I think it will hurt the teams who go and play. However if there is talent to be had from other countries as long as they can play anything to help promote the NFL is a great idea.

Was it Colin Kaepernick?
rant67

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mat McBriar anyone?

To always be remembered...
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jg6041 wrote:
vike daddy wrote:

This Forum is now official. Vike Daddy has made his first joke on the News Forum. Sadly there are many more to come.

you bet!

now if our guy from Finland gets traded to Miami, that would make him a Finn 'Phin.

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
stallyns

Global Moderator
FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Colts were awarded? DE Ben Ishola from Germany.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070710/SPORTS03/707100368/1100/SPORTS03

Quote:
Ishola played at Indiana University, where he started all 11 games as a senior in 2005. He had 22 tackles, five sacks and one forced fumble this season while leading the Hamburg (Germany) Sea Devils to victory in World Bowl XV.
A native of Berlin, Ishola is an athletic 6-3, 250. He has been timed in the 40-yard dash at 4.45 seconds. Ishola signed as a free agent with the Miami Dolphins in May, 2006, but was waived in September.
Think
#59 - OL Jack Mewhort Ohio ST
#90 - WR Donte Moncrief Ole Miss
#166 - OLB Johnathan Newsome Ball ST
#203 - ILB Andrew Jackson Western Kentucky
#232 - OT Ulrick John Georgia ST
Woz

Location: in a land where the furniture folds to a much smaller size
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
jg6041 wrote:
vike daddy wrote:

This Forum is now official. Vike Daddy has made his first joke on the News Forum. Sadly there are many more to come.

you bet!

now if our guy from Finland gets traded to Miami, that would make him a Finn 'Phin.

Wouldn't that mean he would be pulled off the market by the FDA?

Of course, Helsinkin terms of your depth chart so its probably a moot point.
Mat

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, just saw this thread.
Has anyone heard anything about Phillipe Gardent who again had a monster season in NFLE ?
I'd like to keep an eye on him since he is the lone representative of France in the NFL.
Thanks for any news.
IrishDolfan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite a few UK players are on that list. Looks like there is talent all around the world. Not just in the US...

Irish Dolfan
FF member #1205

Profanity is the one language known by all programmers!
BigBen7

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the Bengals have an English DE on the Roster or PS that used to work in Argos until they picked him up.

Global Moderator
FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mat wrote:
Has anyone heard anything about Phillipe Gardent who again had a monster season in NFLE ?
I'd like to keep an eye on him since he is the lone representative of France in the NFL.
Thanks for any news.
On NFL Total Access, they reported that he has signed with the Carolina Panthers.

I have no link to back that up though.
#59 - OL Jack Mewhort Ohio ST
#90 - WR Donte Moncrief Ole Miss
#166 - OLB Johnathan Newsome Ball ST
#203 - ILB Andrew Jackson Western Kentucky
#232 - OT Ulrick John Georgia ST
Mat

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks man, hope he'll make it to the regular season and perhaps see some playing time.
nderk

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Mat wrote:
Thanks for any news.
On NFL Total Access, they reported that he has signed with the Carolina Panthers.

I have no link to back that up though.

Thats right, Gardent signed with the Carolina Panthers http://www.panthers.com/Common/Article.aspx?id=20348.

This scheme has been taking place for a while, at least 3 or 4 years and as someone stated, they are exempt from the roster and so do not take up an official practice squad spot.

Thanks to ctmagic24 for the sig.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: