Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

LaDainian Tomlinson young?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dnayew Khan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:01 pm    Post subject: LaDainian Tomlinson young? Reply with quote

That idiot Jameel on 1st and 10 just said that LaDainian Tomlinson is a "really young guy" in comparison to Steve Nash.

Since LT's 28 and Runningbacks almost always experience a drop off at 30. I'd hardly consider LT "young." In fact I'd say he has 2-3 years in top form left....just like Steve Nash.

Not understanding the extreme age curve of NFL Running Backs really shows how stupid that chick really is. Rolling Eyes

Proud member of Gator Nation!

Less-Proud member of the Dawg Pound...
Meeker

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: LaDainian Tomlinson young? Reply with quote

Dnayew Khan wrote:
That idiot Jameel on 1st and 10 just said that LaDainian Tomlinson is a "really young guy" in comparison to Steve Nash.

Since LT's 28 and Runningbacks almost always experience a drop off at 30. I'd hardly consider LT "young." In fact I'd say he has 2-3 years in top form left....just like Steve Nash.

Not understanding the extreme age curve of NFL Running Backs really shows how stupid that chick really is. Rolling Eyes

In terms of touches...2500 being the magic number, he has 2050 carries, so 2 years left. Or is it total touches? Add in the 398 receptions and he has 2448...I see him at this level for another 2 years max.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i can't stand jamele hill at ALL and she makes me cringe when i hear her speak, she's the most idiotic sports analyst i've ever seen....

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LaDainian Tomlinson has 3-4 good seasons left, max, before he becomes an 'average' back. If I'm picking someone to build my franchise around, LDT would be far down on the list. A running back entering his 7th season in the league who averages 342 carries a season is not young, not in football years he isn't.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he's in his prime and should be good for about two more years...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man if 2500 rushes is the magic number then Emmit Smiths bones must be like marshmallow because he had 4400 rushes. Laughing

milesles wrote:
Regulate wrote:
Of course Favre is gonna play this Sunday..He is the definition of Man

Did he text you a pic?
Irish 11

Most Valuable Poster

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we think of him in terms of the typical All-Pro back, maybe that 2500 carry figure is true.

But what if he's an all-time great?

-- Barry Sanders had 3062 when he retired... and people thought he walked away early.
-- Emmitt Smith's production didn't drop off significantly until 2001, and he logged 3537 carries to that point.
-- Walter Payton's production dropped his final year in 1987, but through 1986 he carried the rock 3692 times.
-- Curtis Martin's body failed him in 2005, but he rushed for almost 1700 yards the year before and had 3298 carries going into his final year.

You guys could be right and he could have an Eric Dickerson type career, where he hits 2500 carries and then can't stay healthy... but there are freaks of nature who can keep going. LT has been freakishly good so far and I'm not counting him out for keeping this pace up for years to come.
Meeker

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irish 11 wrote:
If we think of him in terms of the typical All-Pro back, maybe that 2500 carry figure is true.

But what if he's an all-time great?

-- Barry Sanders had 3062 when he retired... and people thought he walked away early.
-- Emmitt Smith's production didn't drop off significantly until 2001, and he logged 3537 carries to that point.
-- Walter Payton's production dropped his final year in 1987, but through 1986 he carried the rock 3692 times.
-- Curtis Martin's body failed him in 2005, but he rushed for almost 1700 yards the year before and had 3298 carries going into his final year.

You guys could be right and he could have an Eric Dickerson type career, where he hits 2500 carries and then can't stay healthy... but there are freaks of nature who can keep going. LT has been freakishly good so far and I'm not counting him out for keeping this pace up for years to come.

Of course it doesnt always hold true just as the 370 in one year doesnt either. Could he? Most certainly...will he? That remains to be seen of course.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LaDainian Tomlinson isn't your average back. He's one of the greats, and by the time he's done with his career, as much as it paints me to say this, he'll hold the title of all-time leading rusher. I don't think he's ever been injured up to this point in his career, and it doesn't appear he'll slow down for another four to five years. He's surrounded by a great team, a good offensive line, all San Diego needs to do to preserve him is keep a guy like Turner behind him to spot him when the game's already been won.

-Props to OchoCinco for the sig.
Quote:
The Chargers WILL win the Super Bowl this year.

I'm smarter than the average bear!
Thunderstruck21

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LT will still be the best back in football in 2 years and a great back for another 4-5. his offensive line is young and talented, as is the rest of the offense. he is the best conditioned athlete in the world and he never, ever takes "the big hit". expect to see LT going for a very long time. he will continue to put up 1500+ and 20 TDs
PurpleSupreme

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thunderstruck21 wrote:
LT will still be the best back in football in 2 years and a great back for another 4-5. his offensive line is young and talented, as is the rest of the offense. he is the best conditioned athlete in the world and he never, ever takes "the big hit". expect to see LT going for a very long time. he will continue to put up 1500+ and 20 TDs

A little blind of a statement dont you think?

But he Has taken wayyy to many touches to be a great back for a very long time.
viks_fan21

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BaltimoreTerp wrote:
If I'm picking someone to build my franchise around, LDT would be far down on the list.

I usually agree with your posts, but I'm shocked by this. Tomlinson is really the only elite running back around right now. Larry Johnson, Shaun Alexander, and Steven Jackson are all great running backs, but Tomlinson is on another level. He will be the best back in the league, like you said, for 3-4 years. If you can surround him with some talent, I think Tomlinson gives you a great chance at making a Super Bowl run.
Hilit

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thunderstruck21 wrote:

Well considering last season was the first time he had ever put up over 20TDs I wouldnt bet on it.

LT has been for some reason elevated to legendary status already.

Is he the best RB in the league? Yes

Is he an all time great? No

Might he become an all time great? Its possible

To suggest its clear he'll be known as the G.O.A.T when he retires is foolish.

milesles wrote:
Regulate wrote:
Of course Favre is gonna play this Sunday..He is the definition of Man

Did he text you a pic?
Calvert28

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hilit wrote:
Thunderstruck21 wrote:

Well considering last season was the first time he had ever put up over 20TDs I wouldnt bet on it.

Yea but as for right now Emmitt is the best, then Payton, then Barry. A player is only as good as the team around him. And thats what gets the greats their yards.
Meeker

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calvert28 wrote:
Hilit wrote:
Thunderstruck21 wrote:

Yea but as for right now Emmitt is the best, then Payton, then Barry. A player is only as good as the team around him. And thats what gets the greats their yards.

Outside of Texas, I would say less than 3% of people think Emmitt is the GOAT...and most in Texas feel the same...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: