Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Who is the best pitcher of all time?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Gnat

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:53 pm    Post subject: Who is the best pitcher of all time? Reply with quote

I am just curious as to whom people think this may be. I would have to say that I believe it is Walter Johnson. He is the all time leader in one run wins, one run losses, shutouts, and 1-0 games. He was a really dominant pitcher on a terrible offensive Washington Senators team.

MNorona

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nolan ryan

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cy Young went 511-316 with a 2.63 ERA...I don't care what era it was in, 511 wins is the only baseball record set in stone for the rest of time.
BrettWolfe

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nolan Ryan. He dominated!!

Dolphins Fan
Lee121503

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nolan Ryan didn't dominate by my definition of the word. He had a career .526 winning percentage, which is good, but not great. He lost almost 300 games (292) while only winning 324, that's not very dominating. Yes he had a lot of Ks, but the W-L record doesn't support the argument that he dominated.

Walter Johnson on the other hand had a .599 winning percentage and he also holds the record for most one run losses due to a bad team behind him. Imagine if he had had a decent team. He won 417 games while losing less then Ryan (279). Yes he played six years less, but he actually threw more innings. Johnson also had a career ERA of 2.17 as opposed to Ryan's 3.19.

The best pitcher ever though, is probably Cy Young. He had a career record of 511-316. The 511 wins won't ever have anyone come close to it. His career winning percentage is .618 and his career ERA is 2.63. It is a tough call between Cy and Walter, and without ever seeing them pitch I don't know for sure.

A special mention should be made to Roger Clemens. He has a career winning percentage of .667 with a record of 328-164. Pretty dang good. He also has a career ERA of 3.18 which is amazing consider the era he has played in. These numbers were coming into this year and at 41 he has a 1.40 ERA or something close to that. He is amazing and a pretty strong case can be made that we're currently watching the best pitcher ever.

League record 296 yards rushing vs. San Diego
TheFridge85

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nolan Ryan.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was Sandy Koufax. He was 165-87 for his career, but for anyone who saw him or tapes of him, he was the most dominant left-hander in MLB history. In 2324 career Innings Pitched, he struck out 2396 batters. He had a career 1.11 WHIP and a career 2.76 ERA. He threw 137 Complete Games along with 40 Shutouts. He actually averaged 9.28 Ks Per 9. He also had three years where he won 20+ games.

1963 = 25-5, 1.88 ERA, 20 Complete Games, 11 Shutouts, 216 Ks

1965 = 26-8, 2.04 ERA, 27 Complete Games, 8 Shutouts, 382 Ks

1966 = 27-9, 1.73 ERA, 27 Complete Games, 5 Shutouts, 317 Ks

The amazing thing, is that as he got later into his career, he was better. After he was 25, his record was 129-47 with a 2.24 ERA. That was from when he was 25 to when he was 30. He retired after he was 30. Just think of how great he really could have been.

My vote goes to Sandy Koufax.

as11osu wrote:
You want to own a Hummer, go for it I guess. It's a selfish decision and a true reflection of character IMO.
^^^ The reason assumptions are dumb. ^^^
2105 yards

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
He retired after he was 30. Just think of how great he really could have been.

He retired because his arm was done...he was absolutley brilliant for the short windown of time he pitched...dominated everyone he ever faced and would have done the same in this era as well...but you can only really be comapred top the era you pitched in and it was using that criteria that I picked Cy Young...511 qins as I said beofre will never be touched...but the memories of Sandy and that fastball will indeed last forver.

A site every batter feared Shocked Shocked Shocked
ronniebrown

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you guys have forgotten the best Pitchere of all time satchel paige. The man was in his 40-50 while playing in the Majors had he been allowed to pitch inn his prime there would be no argument in this thread.

~ Lork
Vikefan79

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ronniebrown wrote:
you guys have forgotten the best Pitchere of all time satchel paige. The man was in his 40-50 while playing in the Majors had he been allowed to pitch inn his prime there would be no argument in this thread.

I've read books on this guy and you are right he was amazing...If I were to pick a pitcher of my era it would be Nolan Ryan but of all time is could definately be Satchel
Yankees05

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to go with Roger Clemens. First of all, in a huge hitters' era, he has dominated year in and year out. His career ERA is 3.13, which is very elite in this half-century. He is the definition of a power pitcher, with a total of 4436 K's in his career, 2nd of all time to Nolan Ryan. K's are a little overrated, especially when Ryan had nearly half the walks as K's. Clemens also has a record 7 Cy Young awards, which means he was the best pitcher in his league for 7 seasons. He is also high on the all-time wins list, with a huge total of 335, and has a career OBA of .229. I know many disagree, but I feel he is the best of all-time.
NateDawg

Most Valuable Poster (3rd Ballot)
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob Gibson...huge intimidator, probably the biggest intimadator in baseball history, including Randy Johnson. I would also consider Sandy Koufax a reputable nomination, but I really don't think Ryan is the best pitcher, he didn't have a good enough win percentage or ERA for me...although I think he was a great pitcher. He also has allowed the most homeruns of all time. Not saying that is how you determine how good a pitcher is, but I will also throw Clemens onto the list. His ERA lifetime is amazing. He has the strikeouts, he is a big game pitcher, and he has won a lot of games, including World Series titles.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ronniebrown wrote:

Applause

First time I had heard of this guy was when I watched the movie Soul of the Game about Paige, Jackie Robinson, and Josh Gibson. We can only speculate as to how good he would have been in the pros had he gotten the shot earlier, but he undoubtedly would have been very successful. Roger is the best of our generation though.

Mr. Instant Offense: Rudy Burgess
Last Season: 59 rec. 655 yds. 4 TD; 147 car. 687 yds 6 TD
This Season- 2 games; 9 rec. 153 yds.
Canada

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll vote for Cy Young.

511 wins.

Shocked

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baseball All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: