Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

NBA owners approve SuperSonics' relocation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Basketball
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big7BenMVP

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:05 pm    Post subject: NBA owners approve SuperSonics' relocation Reply with quote

Quote:
NBA owners approved the Seattle SuperSonics' move to Oklahoma City for the 2008-09 season today, pending the resolution of litigation between the team and the city of Seattle. The Sonics could begin playing in owner Clay Bennett's hometown as early as next season if they can get out of the remaining two years of their lease at Key Arena. Owners voted 28-2 in favor of the move, with Dallas and Portland voting against. Mavericks owner Mark Cuban has previously expressed concerns about the market size, and Commissioner David Stern said the Trail Blazers, owned by Paul Allen, didn't say why they voted the way they did. Stern said although owners understand the move from a larger market to a much smaller one, they "focused on the likelihood of success in Oklahoma City."

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-sonics19apr19,1,331141.story

Let the rioting begin.

as11osu wrote:
You want to own a Hummer, go for it I guess. It's a selfish decision and a true reflection of character IMO.
^^^ The reason assumptions are dumb. ^^^
GFalcon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its just BS, i hate the sonics moving to OKC, the Clay guy is in it all for himself, why cant he just ruin the bobcats, THIS IS THE SEATTLE SUPERSONICS FOR PETES SAKE

mack. ^
Justin Upton Stat Tracker: 12 HR 18 RBI .302 BA
Proud Air Traffic Control Student In Training!
animaltested

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crying or Very sad

I find it strange Stern didn't feel the need to postpone the BOG vote until after the Shultz Lawsuit is finished. Stern is really letting his friendship with Clay be a conflict of interest for the NBA. Stern really wants to expand into Asia, and why wouldnt he want a city that probable has the second strongest Asian community in the US (behind SF). Also, how the hell can going from the 14th largest market to the 43 (i think those are the numbers) be a sound business.

Stern has made this mistake before with Vancouver. As bad as the Grizz were in Van, Van drew alot more fans than Memphis ever has.

BTW Mark Cuban is my hero.

Quote:
If you don't care for obscenity, you don't care for the truth; if you don't care for the truth, watch how you vote.
EaglesFan5-36-81

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really think the NBA shot itself in the foot with this one. Seattle deserves better. Taxpayers had to pay for Safeco and Investco, not to mention taxes are outrageous as is. This is so messed up. I'm with Seattle on this one; They deserve the Sonics.
Iggles

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's no shock. No owners are going to really vote against something like this, because they all value their autonomy and the ability to demand new arenas from cities. It's a shame, but this was bound to happen once the process began. Clay Bennett had no intention of giving Seattle a chance to keep the Sonics, he bought them to move them to OKC. It's not OKC's fault, and truth be told they probably do deserve a team. They supported a Hornets team that was displaced and pretty bad, and made the team profitable when it should have been hemorrhaging money. The sad thing is, they shouldn't have to get a team this way. There are plenty of unprofitable teams in the NBA that could have gone to OKC. When this is all over Charlotte and Memphis will have NBA teams, but the Sonics won't exist. That's tragic.
ludakrishna420

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EaglesFan5-36-81 wrote:
I really think the NBA shot itself in the foot with this one. Seattle deserves better. Taxpayers had to pay for Safeco and Investco, not to mention taxes are outrageous as is. This is so messed up. I'm with Seattle on this one; They deserve the Sonics.

Being from Seattle, I just want to clear one thing up. We wouldn't mind paying taxes for a new NBA Arena. However, we just had an earthquake a couple years back which caused a lot of foundation damage to the local bridges. Now you tell me what is more important, fixing the bridges which would prevent deaths of 100s of people, or building an arena?

As for this move, the Sonics have an agreement to play in the Key through 2011 and we have filed a court case to ensure that it is followed. Thank god our Mayor actually cares unlike our governor.

Donovan McChoke's #1 favorite target:
The Earthworm...since he always throws it into the dirt and not to the receiver.
FLsports4life15

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No surprise about this happening has we all know Clay Bennett was going to move the Sonics to OKC all along; but this is a shame. I personally think the OKC deserves a basketball team after showing the support they provided for the Hornets. But does this mean Seattle should lose a team for OKC to have one? No.

Gotta feel for all the Seattle fans out there.....

FL's 245 Fave Hip Hop Songs (245-201)
Oregon Ducks

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Mark Cuban...sometimes I want to punch him...other times I want to hug him. I wub you Mark Cuban. Wink

But anyways, FU Stern!

Oregon RB Tracker
Marshall: 99 rush yds(7.6), 174 rec yds(15.8 ), 2 TDs
Tyner: 97 rush yds(4.0), 15 rec yds(3.0), 1 TD
Freeman: 164 rush yds(7.1), 33 rec yds(11.0), 4 TDs
A.J.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate the NBA owners who voted agaisnt the sonics

Oklahoma Sooner Fan (Boomer Sooner)
redskinsguru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually hoped OK would get a team because of the support they showed for the hornets. This shouldn't be the way to do it though. The Sonics should stay, ironically, I was watching a Fraiser episode where they got tickets to a sonics game. Sad

redskinsguru wrote:
Oakland will win the AFC West, book it

Dr.Lee wrote:
So Vick killed a bunch of dogs, thatís what dog-fighters do, they kill dogs.
Blaze

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont want Seattle to leave but thats life in ownership. He can do what he wants with that team but it trips me out that he wont stay till the lease is up.

TexanNation Roast http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=237149
PackersTK21

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will be messed up to see no Seattle SuperSonics. They could have put a different team there like the Grizzlies or some other team.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too bad they didn't move to Kansas City.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Basketball All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: