Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Official Florida Gator Football Thread v. II
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 98, 99, 100  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> College Football
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpacemanSpiff

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:01 pm    Post subject: The Official Florida Gator Football Thread v. II Reply with quote

First post from a Gator fan, baby! Woo hoo!

Very Happy

I'll just kind of get things going again.

I've never been one for optimism and homerism, but I really think is the year the Gators can go all the way and win the National Championship. Granted, in the SEC, there are no guarantees. Obviously, we face a potential red buzzsaw in Georgia, and there's no telling what Miami's going to bring to the table, or Tennessee for that matter.

The reason for my optimism is a very simple one, our spectacular offense. When we gameplan correctly (which, I might add, is never a guarantee as we've all seen in examples such as Auburn and Michigan) and we utilize all our available weapons, this offense is unstoppable. The only loss we had was Andre Caldwell. Caldwell, as much as people like him, is very easily replaced and Louis Murphy will fill that job admirably. Carl Moore Jr. is making a name for himself in taking over Murphy's job as the #3 wideout. Not to mention: We finally have running backs! Moore is the "Starter", but he'll soon make way for Moody and Rainey. Personally, from what I've seen, I prefer Rainey because of his offensive versatility and playmaking nature. Oh, and our Heisman trophy winning quarterback returning. That helps too. Oh... and that Harvin guy. I hear he's got some talent.

Defensively, here's where the worries start. Even in last year's failures to reach a BCS Bowl and SEC Championship, the Gators put up points aplenty on opponents in losses (save for Auburn and LSU. one had a defensive guru and one had a national championship ring). Their problem, in large part, was their inability to stop the pass. From an ineffective pass rush to the inexperienced corners, teams didn't have a hard time throwing on the Gators. That should change. Joe Haden and Major Wright (freshmen, I might add) were the lone bright spots in last year's porous secondary. They return with more experience and growth under a new defensive backs coach. The Gators have also added one of the top recruits in the nation with Will Hill coming in to start opposite Major Wright. In the middle, the Gators have several linebackers capable of doing a fine job anchored by star Brandon Spikes (I still think he's overrated). Dustin Doe plays outside, although he plays the run well, I think he struggles in coverage... and hopefully Meyer will find someone to replace the awful AJ Jones. (Lorenzo Edwards earned a lot of respect from me in the Orange and Blue game with the pursuit he showed. I'd really like to see him starting. And I like Ryan Stamper too.) Up front, the Gators are going to give opposing offensive lines fits. Freshman Omar Hunter has come to town, a five star defensive tackle who will help anchor the middle, alongside Javier Estopinian, who is a senior. On the outside, Carlos Dunlap is looking to become the next big defensive end for the Gators. Opposite him is Jermaine Cunningham, although I'd really like to see more of Justin Trattou, who plays with a good motor and makes great plays whenever he's in the game. Freshman Earl Okine could push for playing time as well. There are guys we have sitting the bench who I think could really come in and make noise and hopefully Meyer discovers them. However, I think regardless, this defense has improved.

With the defense improving, the offense likely improving, or even just staying the same... this team is ready to make a run at the National Championship. I can feel it.
HandsomeBob29

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we will know soon enough. But it's good that we are the ones starting the new thread.

Rise and Grind. Gators 2013
HandsomeBob29

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We need to get Gatoralex and everyone posting back on this. But it's nice to not have recruiting info shoved down your throat ever 5 post *cough* chis-nive/titans4213 *cough*. But anyways I'm really looking forward to the season. But football is back baby. The Hall-of-Fame game is tomorrow so that will be fun for a few drives till backups come in.

Apathy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're CC bound, I'm confident we WILL beat LSU. Who is their starting QB??????

We might lose vs Georgia but we might get the rematch in the bowl game.

Ohio St. is a joke and should never, never play in BCS CCG game because they consistently get owned. I felt like we got slapped in the face when Ohio St. has ranked higher than us. USC not too worried about they'll lose a few games to some average opponents in the Pac-10. Arizona St, UCLA, and or Washington should beat them. What a relief we don't have to play Auburn this season. They dominated our offensive line last season.
FLsports4life15

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With LSU, Kentucky, and Tennessee all losing their QBs the SEC should be won whoever wins the SEC: UGA and Florida. On offense Florida has all the talent in the word. They have the heisman winner under center and he's perfect fit for the system. The Gators have an experienced line with only one new starter. UF has some of the most talented WR corps. Led by the speedy Harvin who is a top 5 college receiver, reliable Louis Murphy, Cooper who has a knack for the endzone but has problems staying healthy, two talented tight ends, and depth. The running game has been relied the QB himself and their number one receiver will now have some talent actually from the runningback position with Rainey the Harvin type player who blew up at the spring game and Emmanuel Moody who had a good freshman year at USC then transfered to Florida. But the true key is not to use the Harvin to Tebow, Tebow runs, Harvin runs, etc gameplan.

On defense their are question marks almost all over. The defensive ends are seems pretty sured up. With reliable Cunningham and the ultra talented Carlos Dunlap. Though Harvey was a big name what Dunlap showed that he can provide more pressure then Harvey did last season. He's long, tall, and is very athletic. The defensive tackles are talented but the impact this season from them is unknown. The Linebackers are our strong point and were great at stopping the run led by our best defensive player Brandon Spikes but we will need more help against the coverage. The Gators' biggest question is the secondary. They are very unexperienced. Joe Haden, the best player in the secondary will be the #1 corner this year. He was solid last year as his first time playing corner and don't be surprised if he has a breakout year. The #2 corner as of now is Wondy Pierre Louis he is a bit of a project to say the least. At safety there is tons of talent but a lack of depth with Dorian Munroe out for the year and Dee Finley not qualifying. At SS their starter will be Major Wright who is a out of thid world hitter and is moving to his natural position after starting at FS as a freshman. The FS will most likely be 5 Star recruit Will Hill. He reminds me of former Gator Reggie Nelson and if he can help in coverage right away that would be huge.

For the Gators to reach the NC they will have to have better consistent offensive gameplanning, more pressure on defense, an improved secondary, win games their supposed to win, and beat UGA. It won't be easy but we have a shot.

FL's 245 Fave Hip Hop Songs (245-201)
FLsports4life15

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any word on how Ahmad Black has been in practice?

FL's 245 Fave Hip Hop Songs (245-201)
SpacemanSpiff

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FLsports4life15 wrote:

HandsomeBob29 should be able to fill us in on that soon.
HandsomeBob29

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpacemanSpiff wrote:
FLsports4life15 wrote:

HandsomeBob29 should be able to fill us in on that soon.

He was ok in spring but I mean no major stuff. But we'll see coming soon. But on the topic of defense. Don't worry guys. It's better. I'm worried about the safety position but something tells me we will be fine.

BrownieTheElf

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's my birthday today and all I want from the Gators is...

A Heisman Trophy winner
A Mackey Trophy Winner
A Blientienkoff Trophy Winner
A SEC Championship
A BCS National Championship

That's all.

What to much to ask?
Blknite01

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm excited for the season to get underway. I'll post more once the games start rolling.
jagslover32

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Torrey Davis isn't on the roster as of right now.... Crying or Very sad
SpacemanSpiff

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some news out of practice: Ahmad Black is starting at safety opposite Major Wright. Not sure how to feel about that, but hopefully he makes the transition well and the Gators D can reap the benefits.
HandsomeBob29

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jagslover32 wrote:
Torrey Davis isn't on the roster as of right now.... Crying or Very sad

He is when I looked at the roster. See for yourself.

http://www.gatorzone.com/football/bios.php?year=2008&order_by=lname

goldendomer18

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is Justin Trattau looking for you guys? i was pretty disappointed when he backed out of his ND commit. I wish him the best and hope he does good.

^^^ -Hope-
SpacemanSpiff

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

goldendomer18 wrote:
How is Justin Trattau looking for you guys? i was pretty disappointed when he backed out of his ND commit. I wish him the best and hope he does good.

Well, he's definitely making the most of his playing time. He's not a starter, but I rave about this guy on a regular basis. He has excellent playmaking ability both rushing the passer and also playing in coverage as I've seen him notch a couple picks. I really like the guy and hopefully Meyer has enough sense to put him on the field full time.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> College Football All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 1 of 100

Jump to: