You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

***1st Annual Must Have Running Back Handcuffs!!!***

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Fantasy Football
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bookend57

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:58 pm    Post subject: ***1st Annual Must Have Running Back Handcuffs!!!*** Reply with quote

Here is my 1st annual Top Ten Must Have Running back Handcuffs. I have compiled a list of the top ten running back that have some sort of concern that would warrant consideration for picking up their back-up running back as well.

Arrow My Individual Positional rankings are in parenthases behind the starter.

Adrian Peterson (#2) and Chester Taylor Ė Minnesota Vikings

~ Adrian Petersonís durability has been his biggest question mark coming into this season. Peterson missed three games this past season due to a bite of the injury bug and his upright and violent running style will always make his durability a question mark, he has the talent no doubt but its yet to be seen whether he can stay on the field for an entire season, and he does not deserve a top draft selection until he proves otherwise in my opinion. Chester Taylor had 157 carries for 844 yards and 7 touchdowns this past season, but those numbers are likely to decrease as he is now officially just the back-up in Minnesota. However, Chester Taylor is one of the best back-up running backs in the NFL and he will still get about 10 touches a game or so, and if Peterson is injured Taylor should be able to come in and produce without the offense missing much of a beat, he did it in the 3 games Peterson missed last season, he could do it again, Taylor is capable of being a full-time starter in the NFL, itís a shame he is on the team with the most talented running back in the NFL right now.

Clinton Portis (#7) and Ladell Betts Ė Washington Redskins

~ Portis played the entire 2007 without injury but he missed over half of the 2006 season, and in his absence Ladell Betts gained over 1,000 yards. The 5-11 and 225 pound running back has the size to be a physical runner and soft hands to be a threat in the passing game, but he lacks the speed to be a home run threat. Betts remains one of the top backup options in the league and if Portis goes down with an injury, he immediately becomes a starting RB fantasy option. This is a handcuff that should be monitored throughout the season because if Portis is able to stay healthy all season long Betts would be a wasted draft pick, he is a waiver wire handcuff, but nonetheless you are going to want to keep a close eye on him if you are a Portis owner.

Marion Barber (#9) and Felix Jones Ė Dallas Cowboys

~ Marion The Barbarianís hard-nosed and vicious running style and lack of experience carrying the load for a season are two very good reasons why Barber owners are going to want to use that late round pick on Dallasís 2008 first-round pick Felix Jones. Although Barber is the clear-cut feature back, the Cowboys didnít blow a #1 pick on a benchwarmer, it has been their plan all along to have a tandem system with running backs. Jones will get a solid 10 touches per game regardless of Barberís status, but if Barber goes down with an injury (I donít personally expect Barber to be able to play all 16 games this season, he has only started three games in his career), Jones would be a viable fantasy starter, he is explosive and has good enough size to with stand a beating, plus he is a solid receiver out of the backfield. All Barber owners are going to want to have Felix Jones on their bench.

Larry Johnson (#11), Kolby Smith, and Jamaal Charles Ė Kansas City Chiefs

~ Larry Johnson has a mess load of tread on his tires so to speak and he missed a considerable amount of playing time this past season with injuries. Kolby Smith gave Johnson ownerís a small sign of relief; that is if they were wise enough to pick him up off of the waiver wire. In Smithís six starts in Johnsonís absence he tallied 555 total yards and a pair of touchdowns. If Johnson goes down again this season, a definite possibility, Smith would be the leading candidate to step in and attempt to fill Johnsonís shoes once again. However, the Chiefs used their 3rd round pick on former Longhorn running back Jamaal Charles and if Johnson gets injured and you are unable to pick up Kolby Smith, Jamaal Charles is a solid option, he has phenomenal speed and enough size to get the job done, and regardless of Johnsonís health I would still expect Charles to get about 5 touches per game, with Kansas Cityís questionable aerial assault, they will need all the ground game they can get. If Johnson goes down those 5 touches would turn into 15 very quickly. Smith and Charles are both wise options for Larry Johnson owners to look at on draft day or on the waiver wire throughout the season.

Ryan Grant (#12) and Brandon Jackson Ė Green Bay Packers

~ Ryan Grant just signed a contract extension yesterday so he will be at Packersí camp very soon, but that doesnít change the fact that in Grantís absence Brandon Jackson was given the opportunity to shine, and he reportedly didnít disappoint. Jackson has added 10 pounds of muscle this offseason and the coaching staffís obsession with the 2007 2nd round pick is now more visible than ever. They have stated that they are going to give Jackson 10-15 touches per game regardless of Grantís status, and with Grant being a half season success story there is always the chance that his performance was a fluke (knock on wood) and benefitted from Brett Favreís presence and now with Favre out of the picture defenses will key on Grant. If Grant goes down with an injury Jackson becomes a solid fantasy starter, Grant owners should be on the lookout for Brandon Jacksonís touch count and Grantís health status.

Ronnie Brown (#15) and Rickie Williams Ė Miami Dolphins

~ Ronnie Brown is coming off of a serious season-ending knee injury and it is yet to be seen how he will do in his return to the playing field after missing 9 games last season, and he has yet to complete a full season in his three-year career. Brown has all the talent in the world, but its yet to be seen if he can stay healthy. If Brown gets injured again enter Rickie Williams, and even though he may not be his former All-Pro self he will get many a touch in Bill Parcellsí ground-based assault. All Brown owners MUST draft Williams with one of their late round draft picks.

Brandon Jacobs (#18.) and Ahmad Bradshaw Ė New York Giants

~ The big one canít stay healthy and the little one canít stay out of trouble. Itís not a matter of if but rather when Brandon Jacobs will get injured again, and when he does Ahmad Bradshaw (barring his legal status) will be able to step in and perform pretty well, Bradshaw is a legitimate homerun threat every time he touches the ball, something th3 264lbs. Brandon Jacobs definitely is not. If you take Jacobs as your #2 running back you are going to want to have Bradshaw as your #4 or #5 as well.

Rudi Johnson (#19), Kenny Watson, and Chris Perry Ė Cincinnati Bengals

~ Very similar to the Chiefs running back situation. If Johnson goes down it looks like for now Kenny Watson will be his top back-up, but reports out of Bengals training camp is that Chris Perry has performed very well and although Perry doesnít warrant draft consideration yet, if someone nabs Watson as a late round pick out from under you, you need not fret. Perry will be available on the waiver wire and if Rudi goes down again Perry will be a nice asset to have and would get about half of Cincinnatiís ground game touches. Watson warrants draft consideration alone in PPR leagues (12 or more teams), he is a great receiver out of the backfield.

Willie Parker (#24) and Rashard Mendenhall Ė Pittsburgh Steelers

~ Although Willie Parker has only missed 2 games the last 3 seasons he broke his leg at the end of last season and he may not be 100% for the start of the season. And even if Parker manages to stay healthy throughout the season he is not much of a redzone threat and the Steelers didnít use their 2008 1st round pick on Rashard Mendenhall for nothing. Mendenhall will get a ton of goaline carries regardless and is one of the top fantasy rookie running backs available. Mendenhall is a very smart choice in keeper leagues as well, he wonít be the back-up running back for long.

Laurence Maroney (#25) and LaMont Jordan Ė New England Patriots

~ I personally had Maroney in one of my leagues and have since picked up Jordan after New England signed him. Maroney has only played 27 games in his two years in the NFL and has only started six of those games, he is not a sure thing and just when it looked like he was going to have a chance to breakout the team signs Jordan. Jordan will probably take at least 1/3 of Maroneyís touches from him and if Maroney gets hurt again this season Jordan will then be the starting runner in New England.

^gopherwrestler^
DHE01

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow great job on this!
The one that VERY interested me was the Ryan Grant one.
I don't think Ladell Betts is a must have handcuff but should certainly be considered.
all the rest are necessary.

You could even include:

Selvin Young
Ryan Torain
(never know denver situation)

Deuce McAlister
Reggie Bush
(McAlister season ending injury)

Maybe even

LT
Darren Sproles
(L.T. post season injury last year)

But great thread, very interesting!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Grant/Jackson cuff wouldn't be know to many outside the Packers forum, but there is a good chance, even after signing a big contract, that Jackson cuts into his carries. The staff said they are going to get him 10-15 touches per game regardless of Grant's status. It's one to keep your eye on.

The other two i considerede but Young, McAllister, and Bush were not in my top 10 of guys that should be cuffed, Young was close though, i think he would have been next (i don't like Bush at all outside of a PPR league).

^gopherwrestler^
DHE01

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bookend57 wrote:
The Grant/Jackson cuff wouldn't be know to many outside the Packers forum, but there is a good chance, even after signing a big contract, that Jackson cuts into his carries. The staff said they are going to get him 10-15 touches per game regardless of Grant's status. It's one to keep your eye on.

The other two i considerede but Young, McAllister, and Bush were not in my top 10 of guys that should be cuffed, Young was close though, i think he would have been next (i don't like Bush at all outside of a PPR league).

wow, 10-15 carries!

Yea, I was just throwing a couple more handcuffs out.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great post bookend (as always). rb's are bound to get hurt, and barber is at the very top of my list.

Last edited by 00chief00 on Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
DHE01

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

00chief00 wrote:
Great post bookend (as always). rb's are bound to get hurt, and barber is at the ver ytop of my list.

Really? you believe Barber might get hurt or split alot of carries with jones?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DHE01 wrote:
00chief00 wrote:
Great post bookend (as always). rb's are bound to get hurt, and barber is at the ver ytop of my list.

Really? you believe Barber might get hurt or split alot of carries with jones?

well he's gonna split carries that's no secret, but my post was hinting toward him getting hurt. No one can run that way (upright, doesnt avoid contact, etc) and avoid injury.
atown703

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barber is def an injury waiting to happen. The Cowboys didn't draft Felix Jones for no good reason

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Fantasy Football All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: