You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Browns hire George Kokonis as GM

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chief_fan822003

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:36 pm    Post subject: Browns hire George Kokonis as GM Reply with quote

I just got an ESPN text alert saying it, and here's a rotoworld link to go along with it:

Quote:
Browns named former Ravens pro personnel director George Kokonis GM.
It remains to be seen how much power Kokonis will have. Owner Randy Lerner let Eric Mangini handpick Kokonis, indicating Mangini will have a large amount of say over all football decisions. Kokonis made his name scouting free agents in Baltimore. The Ravens are built through the draft. Still, this should be a good match because ex-GM Phil Savage left the Browns with only four picks in 2009. Kokonis also has a big decision coming up on Derek Anderson's $5 million roster bonus.

Not surprising, and a very good hire.
Sewanee

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good hire but sad for the Sewanee Sad...Phil Savage (the old GM) was an alumni...

^^LOTO.TB
NCAAF-Tennessee Vols
NFL-KC Chiefs
SecondComing

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sewanee wrote:
good hire but sad for the Sewanee Sad...Phil Savage (the old GM) was an alumni...

I hear he's looking for a job as the assistant to the regional manager of a local Quiznos.
Mine is the one where I am under the basket to get a rebound and I pull the other guys shorts down to distract him
EAcantdraft

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiring a coach before a GM? Most teams don't do it that way.

Graham Harrell, future (now present) CFL QB

Roger Goodell, greatest sports commissioner ever
Jetsfandan423

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EAcantdraft wrote:

But Mangini recommended Kokinis for the job, the two are friends, so I would expect that there wouldn't be any problems with that relationship. After Mangini got hired by us, Tannenbaum got promoted to GM like a week or two later, and they have an excellent relationship so it's really not that big of a deal in this case.
titansNvolsR#1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jetsfandan423 wrote:
EAcantdraft wrote:

But Mangini recommended Kokinis for the job, the two are friends, so I would expect that there wouldn't be any problems with that relationship. After Mangini got hired by us, Tannenbaum got promoted to GM like a week or two later, and they have an excellent relationship so it's really not that big of a deal in this case.

Yeah, but you want someone that's going to get the job done, not cater to the coach's wants.
New York Green

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

titansNvolsR#1 wrote:
Jetsfandan423 wrote:
EAcantdraft wrote:

Yeah, but you want someone that's going to get the job done, not cater to the coach's wants.
That's not really what Dan meant.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: