Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Thoughts on a potential trade?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
secondeye

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:13 pm    Post subject: Thoughts on a potential trade? Reply with quote

I hate to be "that guy"...

But what would your impression be of a trade of the #3 and #34 to the Vikings for their #7 and #18?

It's looking like your man is going to have to be Rodgers or Smith at QB, and barring lunacy, one should be available at #7.

Just throwing something out there, obviously these things never happen, but I want to see my club do what it takes to sign Derrick Johnson, and unless Cleveland plans on hurriedly bringing in bandaid players like Warner, Brad johnson, or Gus Frerotte, (and even if) then they should be looking to go with a QB.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
MusingsFromBigPink

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:27 pm    Post subject: That guy. . . Reply with quote

Don't worry, you're not "that guy." Some years, that offer would be in the ballpark, just not this one, in my opinion. Problem is, there may be no real difference between 18 and 34 (except 18 costs more).

Browns would love to move down, but to only to gain picks. How about #3 for #7 and a 2nd rounder?
secondeye

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: That guy. . . Reply with quote

MusingsFromBigPink wrote:
Don't worry, you're not "that guy." Some years, that offer would be in the ballpark, just not this one, in my opinion. Problem is, there may be no real difference between 18 and 34 (except 18 costs more).

Browns would love to move down, but to only to gain picks. How about #3 for #7 and a 2nd rounder?

How about Onterrio Smith, the #7, and that sweet 7th rounder we picked up from Oakland? He could pick right up where William Green left off.

in more ways than one....

/oh to be a GM in the NFL

Last edited by secondeye on Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
truebrownsfan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neither one of those offers is enough they would have to do 7 2nd round and 5th round to get the 3 or maybe a mid round pick next year instaed of the 5th this year...The other one is way off it would take 7 and 18 to get 3.
MusingsFromBigPink

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:39 pm    Post subject: Chart problems Reply with quote

True, I know what you're saying, but we have to accept that the chart doesn't rule this year (at least at the top of the 1st round). Moving down from #3 to #7 may be worth it for a 2nd round pick, especially since it looks like we could move down again from #7.

And no, I don't want anyone off the Vikings lengthy police blotter, but I do appreciate the creativity of "that guy's" offer.

Very Happy

Last edited by MusingsFromBigPink on Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
secondeye

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

truebrownsfan wrote:
Neither one of those offers is enough they would have to do 7 2nd round and 5th round to get the 3 or maybe a mid round pick next year instaed of the 5th this year...The other one is way off it would take 7 and 18 to get 3.

Even in your usual balanced draft with more of a talent gap, the #7+#18 out values the #3 according to the famous draft value chart. By a mid-3rd rounder even.

This isn't your grandmother's draft, but if that's the counter offer, and I had the authority to pull the trade, I'd politely decline and then call 3 or 4 of my GM friends to laugh behind your back.
MusingsFromBigPink

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:48 pm    Post subject: Time out Reply with quote

I respectfully suggest that we all are paying a bit too much heed to the draft pick trading chart. The dynamic changes every year, again with every round, and sometimes with every pick. This year early 1st round pick are not worth quite what they might be in other years.

On the other hand, the Vikings GM would have no right to "laugh" at anybody. Jesus, which team is most likely to "pass" when their turn comes up? Get a pick up there on time before you mock others, ok?

I'd still do #3 for #7 and the 2nd round pick.
docc2183

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't do # 3 and # 34 for your 2 first rounders. Maybe #3 and our 3rd or 4th, but we really aren't getting any sort of deal. You get your WR probably, and we get not much else in return. I'd probably swap 3rd's with you and give you a fifth or sixth rounder plus # 3for your to # 1's. That seems fair to me.
DaBrowns41

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting

This is called TRUTH!

Rest In Peace David, Renee and Joe (Crakburn)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: