Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Official Chicago Cubs Thread - 5-13 - Ugly
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 101, 102, 103  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baseball
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hrubes20

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:28 pm    Post subject: Official Chicago Cubs Thread - 5-13 - Ugly Reply with quote

Here's to watching the young guys get their feet wet and watching Team Theoyer build a dynasty!

Manager: Dale Sveum

Roster:

C - Welington Castillo
1B - Anthony Rizzo
2B - Darwin Barney
SS - Starlin Castro
3B - Luis Valbuena
LF - Alfonso Soriano
CF - David DeJesus/Dave Sappelt
RF - Nate Schierholtz/Scott Hairston

Bench - Cody Ransom
Bench - Alberto Gonzalez
Bench - Dioner Navarro

SP1 - Jeff Samardzija
SP2 - Edwin Jackson
SP3 - Scott Feldman
SP4 - Travis Wood (LHP)
SP5 - Carlos Villanueva

RP - James Russell (LHP)
RP - Shawn Camp
RP - Michael Bowden
RP - Kevin Gregg
RP - Kameron Loe
RP - Hector Rondon
RP - Carlos Marmol

DL: Scott Baker (15 day DL - TJS recovery); Arodys Vizcaino (60 day DL - TJS recovery); Matt Garza (15 day DL - Lat strain); Ian Stewart (15 day DL - hamstring); Kyuji Fujikawa (15 day DL - forearm strain); Steve Clevenger (60 day DL - Oblique Strain)

Top 10 Minor League Prospects as of 2/15/13 (according to Hrubes20):

1. Javier Baez, SS
2. Jorge Soler, RF
3. Albert Almora, CF
4. Arodys Vizcaino, RHP
5. Daniel Vogelbach, 1B/DH
6. Juan Carlos Paniagua, RHP
7. Brett Jackson, CF/LF
8. Christian Villanueva, 3B
9. Pierce Johnson, RHP
10. Jeimer Candelario, 3B

Big thanks to Big_Palooka on the sig!

Last edited by hrubes20 on Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:04 pm; edited 40 times in total
ChiSportsFan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This team is painful to watch. But Jim Hendry has given so many players mega deals w/ NTCs that becoming sellers is difficult, not to mention the fans wouldn't be happy about it.
hrubes20

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it appears that the Cubs have put Fook on the trading block. I would imagine that Theriot and Gorzelanny are both on there as well. Heck, maybe Nady, too. I can't say that I am against any of it. Lou has given the everyday RF job to Colvin, which means Fook is a $13 million bench player. I don't really want to deal Gorz, as I think he could be a very effective and cheap lefty starter for us, but I suppose he will likely be packaged with Fook or Theriot in an effort to maximize the return.

I am totally in favor of blowing this team up. It's not like we are chasing any juggernaut teams in the division or anything, but I just do not like the way this team is made up. I think we should put out feelers for every player on our roster not named:

Starlin Castro
Tyler Colvin
Carlos Marmol
Geovany Soto
Ryan Dempster
Andrew Cashner
Sean Marshall

Yes, that even includes Marlon Byrd. I love what he has done for us this year. I love everything about the way he plays the game of baseball (obviously could use a few more walks, but I can't complain if he can somehow keep his average at .330 and OBP at .375). I love his attitude, work ethic, production, etc. However, he would be the ultimate sell-high candidate, and could bring us back some young, cheap talent in a trade. Let's remember he is 32, and likely won't be a plus defensive CF at the end of his contract in 2 years. Obviously, we would need to get something decent in return to even consider this, but I am a fan of selling high on 32 year old OFers having career years.

BrownieTheElf

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hrubes, I don't know if you remember but we talked about Colvin a ways back and are views on him. Crazy to think where he is at now.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hrubes20 wrote:
So it appears that the Cubs have put Fook on the trading block. I would imagine that Theriot and Gorzelanny are both on there as well. Heck, maybe Nady, too. I can't say that I am against any of it. Lou has given the everyday RF job to Colvin, which means Fook is a $13 million bench player. I don't really want to deal Gorz, as I think he could be a very effective and cheap lefty starter for us, but I suppose he will likely be packaged with Fook or Theriot in an effort to maximize the return.

I am totally in favor of blowing this team up. It's not like we are chasing any juggernaut teams in the division or anything, but I just do not like the way this team is made up. I think we should put out feelers for every player on our roster not named:

Starlin Castro
Tyler Colvin
Carlos Marmol
Geovany Soto
Ryan Dempster
Andrew Cashner
Sean Marshall

Yes, that even includes Marlon Byrd. I love what he has done for us this year. I love everything about the way he plays the game of baseball (obviously could use a few more walks, but I can't complain if he can somehow keep his average at .330 and OBP at .375). I love his attitude, work ethic, production, etc. However, he would be the ultimate sell-high candidate, and could bring us back some young, cheap talent in a trade. Let's remember he is 32, and likely won't be a plus defensive CF at the end of his contract in 2 years. Obviously, we would need to get something decent in return to even consider this, but I am a fan of selling high on 32 year old OFers having career years.

Problem w/ getting rid of the veterans is their giant salaries and NTCs. D Lee won't be back, Soriano isn't going anywhere and neither is Big Z, and if Fukudome isn't traded he'll IMO be released in the offseason. I'd also be all for selling high on Silva and trading him for a good prospect or 2.
hrubes20

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrownieTheElf wrote:
Hrubes, I don't know if you remember but we talked about Colvin a ways back and are views on him. Crazy to think where he is at now.

I remember. I'm still not high on Colvin. His K rate is crazy and he can't sustain either the power numbers, nor the batting average, but he is essentially a plus defender in all three OF positions and is under team control for cheap for 6 years. For that reason alone, I don't want to see the Cubs trade him. He might not ever be even a solid everyday starter, but cheap, solid 4th OFers are still valuable to have around.

BrownieTheElf

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hrubes20 wrote:
BrownieTheElf wrote:

I remember. I'm still not high on Colvin. His K rate is crazy and he can't sustain either the power numbers, nor the batting average, but he is essentially a plus defender in all three OF positions and is under team control for cheap for 6 years. For that reason alone, I don't want to see the Cubs trade him. He might not ever be even a solid everyday starter, but cheap, solid 4th OFers are still valuable to have around.

Oh absolutely, it's odd though to see the success after not really seeing to much success in the minors. Good luck Cubbies, talk to you all later.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking forward to the game today guys

thanks XsA MainEvent for the sig and avatar
Its A Sabotage

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hrubes20 wrote:

Starlin Castro
Tyler Colvin
Carlos Marmol
Geovany Soto
Ryan Dempster
Andrew Cashner
Sean Marshall

Let me go back to a post in the old thread on April 11th.

Quote:
I will probably be killed with this only 6 games into the season, but I will go back to the article I linked at the begining of the season. We need to trade these older players off the team, and develop the younger talent. Sit Soriano, play Colvin at least he is showing promise and potential. There is nearly 80m in Salary we can trade off the team this year (probably) at the deadline, but 80m is a lot considering the talent coming up and some stop-gap vets we can sign in the off season.

I will still cheer and root for these Cubs, but the lack of tenacity or WANT to play the game is killing me very slowly this season already.

#JDI
hrubes20

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its A Sabotage wrote:
hrubes20 wrote:

Starlin Castro
Tyler Colvin
Carlos Marmol
Geovany Soto
Ryan Dempster
Andrew Cashner
Sean Marshall

Quote:
I will probably be killed with this only 6 games into the season, but I will go back to the article I linked at the begining of the season. We need to trade these older players off the team, and develop the younger talent. Sit Soriano, play Colvin at least he is showing promise and potential. There is nearly 80m in Salary we can trade off the team this year (probably) at the deadline, but 80m is a lot considering the talent coming up and some stop-gap vets we can sign in the off season.

I will still cheer and root for these Cubs, but the lack of tenacity or WANT to play the game is killing me very slowly this season already.

If only we could. ChiSportsfan is right on the money, in that Soriano, Ramirez and Zambrano are all going to be nearly impossible to deal. The rest, however, I think can be moved. Hendry needs to get on the phone with teams and see what it would take to deal Fook, Nady, Theriot, D-Lee, Lilly and Silva. That would be a tremendous start towards getting this team back into contention.

Its A Sabotage

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the only way I see this kind of rebuilding happen is if Hendry decides that its not in the teams best interest to be rebuilding for 2-3 years which will hurt the team as the way the team is set up as "win now"

#JDI
IR0NM1KE

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps a new thread will wake up Derrek's bat.

Any chance the Cubs deal D-Lee? The Angels seem like a good match with their injuries and their ability to make the post season every year.
hrubes20

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IR0NM1KE wrote:
Perhaps a new thread will wake up Derrek's bat.

Any chance the Cubs deal D-Lee? The Angels seem like a good match with their injuries and their ability to make the post season every year.

If he waives his NTC, and brings back even a decent prospect, I think he's gone. Nady can play 1B, and as crazy as it sounds, Colvin played 1B in both HS and at Clemson. Tracy could play there as well, if need be. The best part is that Lee is currently a Type B FA, which means some team will surely give him at least a 2 year deal after this season. If we offer Lee arbitration (which is never a given, considering Hendry's aversion to arbitration), we either get an extra draft pick in the supplemental 1st round next year, or Lee accepts the arbitration and we either trade him or keep him around for 1 year as a stop-gap until the loaded 1B class of 2012 comes around.

Blazer026

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did DLee actually have two errors in one inning or am I reading something wrong?
ChiSportsFan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hrubes20 wrote:
Its A Sabotage wrote:
hrubes20 wrote:

Starlin Castro
Tyler Colvin
Carlos Marmol
Geovany Soto
Ryan Dempster
Andrew Cashner
Sean Marshall

Quote:

If only we could. ChiSportsfan is right on the money, in that Soriano, Ramirez and Zambrano are all going to be nearly impossible to deal. The rest, however, I think can be moved. Hendry needs to get on the phone with teams and see what it would take to deal Fook, Nady, Theriot, D-Lee, Lilly and Silva. That would be a tremendous start towards getting this team back into contention.

Problem w/ dealing Fukudome is his NTC for 1/2 of the teams in baseball and his contract. The Cubs will have to eat a large amount of his contract if they want to get rid of him and put Colvin in the OF. Also, I get the feeling that the Cubs will try and re-sign Lilly, but if they don't hopefully they offer him arbitration and get a 1st round pick out of him.

As bad as D Lee has been hitting, the Cubs have no replacement for him for next season. There's been talk of Soriano moving to 1st, which would be awful.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baseball All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 101, 102, 103  Next
Page 1 of 103

Jump to: