Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Interesting Trade Rumor
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
e16bball

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 5:38 pm    Post subject: Interesting Trade Rumor Reply with quote

I heard on Cold Pizza this morning that the Vikes and Jags are talking trade, apparently for the 7th overall.

It all seems very nebulous at this point, but apparently the talk stems from the Darius trade talks. I thought about it a bit, and maybe the 7th pick for the 21st, Darius, and a 4th?

I can see why Minnesota would do this. They pick up a great safety to finish out their secondary, and still will be able to get a good WR at 18 or 21. I'm not sure why Jacksonville would do it, maybe they've really fallen in love with someone at the top? Benson, maybe? I don't really know, but according to Cold Pizza they are very interested.

Again, just a very vague rumor, but it if holds any truth, it sure would shake up the draft.
rushpacker_56

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They might want to take a corner like Carlos Rodgers, but Rolle will go ahead of that pick. I doubt it will happen.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rushpacker_56 wrote:
They might want to take a corner like Carlos Rodgers, but Rolle will go ahead of that pick. I doubt it will happen.
Exactly that. They wouldn't trae up to get Benson when they got Taylor, Jones, Toefield.
rushpacker_56

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This rumor could be old, as well, when they needed a d-end. Then they could've had their pick of the top d-end. There is no o-line worthey of #7, and they won't get a reciever or tight end. Linebacker is set. The only thing I could see is a cornerback.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex Barron probably carries a Top 10 grade on a lot of teams boards. His natural athleticism and wingspan is awesome, and what you want in a franchise tackle. I dont think he should be considered that good, but his physical skills could get him taken that high.

Id definitely say its Rolle, Rogers, or Barron in their sights.
rushpacker_56

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that Barron is a stud, but he needs to get stronger, and many teams have said that he does not play with a mean streak, which they look for in tackles.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And many teams may be looking for him to fall. Its a definite concern with him, but when you see that awesome athelticism, thats going to make teams crave him more than just lacking that mentality. That athleticism is going to get him taken in the Top 13, no matter how much teams question that killer instinct in him.
rushpacker_56

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know. I have had the Texans taking him for a while now, but I don't think that he would go any higher than that.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Titans coudl be a prime target for him, the Jags in this trade scenario to keep him in the state of florida, the Lions could take him, and the Chargers could take him. There are plenty of places for him to go before 13.
rushpacker_56

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about that. The Titans will definantly go corner. They lost Rolle and Dyson, and now they have an injury plauged Woolfork starting. They would snag Antrel Rolle, the draft's top corner before Barron. I also think that San Diego might snag either a d-end or reciever. I think that they might trade up.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Titans fan here. Barron would be a great pick for us because right now we have no RT. Barron could come in right away and start at RT. Then after a year or two he can switch to LT. Most Titans other titan fans agree he'd be a great pick.
Our secondary isn't as bad as most people think. We have three young CB's that have played well and have a lot of potential. I do believe that we need to take a CB in the 2nd or 3rd rounds, but we shouldn't spend a first on one. I actually believe that safety is a bigger need than CB right now.

"Tina you fat, lard come get your dinner"

Last edited by bulluckthebeast on Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Titans2004

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beast I'm with you. i'll be pissed if we take a CB at #6. With the depth at CB in this draft qualty will be had into the late 3rd rnd. Whereas LT will only be had in the 1st rnd.
wcblack34

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a Vikes fan, I can see this happening. Why? Matt Jones. Call me crazy, but I think that the Vikes are one of the teams willing to roll the dice here.

This trade would happen if Braylon or Mike were still on the board. The Vikes get their stud safety, and can take Jones as their BPA at 21. There's no way they could justify it at #7, but if they get a good DE or LB at 18, they could say that the addition of Darius allows them to take a risk on a player. I know, Darius is a Safety, Jones a WR, but it's essentially the two players for one argument. Studwell has been great at picking players, and if they like Jones, they'd pull the trigger at 21, because I don't think he makes it to round 2. Yes it is hype, but GM's and experts alike are starting to buy it.
taiyed7210

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you guys are idiots that are falling for this Matt Jones joke. It takes a lot more then talent to be succesfull in football...this isnt basketball
wcblack34

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

taiyed7210 wrote:
you guys are idiots that are falling for this Matt Jones joke. It takes a lot more then talent to be succesfull in football...this isnt basketball

Perhaps, but then so are a good share of the GM's in the NFL. Jones is going to be a 1st rounder, whether you like him or not. His name is coming up in most every discussion of the draft, and nobody seems to have a bad word to say about the guy. Everyone thought that the Bills were crazy for taking McGahee in the first round, they said it wouldn't happen, guess what, it did. Jones is probably the most intriguing prospect in years, and he showed that he could very well make the transition to WR at the SR Bowl. The fact is that there is always some team willing to take the gamble on greatness, for better or for worse. BTW, guys are drafted on talent all the time. Yes it does take more, but a lot of people in the know are thinking he has it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Draft All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: