Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Mike Patterson

View previous topic :: View next topic  
boltfan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 5:03 am    Post subject: Mike Patterson Reply with quote

I think he might be the most underrated player in this draft. He was the anchor on the defense of the National Champions. The only negative I hear about him is he's short. Big woppideedoo, I dont think a DT needs to be tall. Why do they need to be tall? to Knock down passes? That means they're not getting any penetration anyways. Seriously I want to know what the benefit is of having a 6-3 DT over a 6-0 DT is. Please let me know.

sig done dy alabama_man7

LT=MVP
mr.knowitall

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He is a good 43 DT but could probably be a good 34 DE too.
inkwell

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. if you ARE getting penetration, you still have an opportunity to either block passes or the QBs vision of passing lanes if you are taller.

2. USUALLY/TYPICALLY but obviously not in every case, a taller man has longer arms which are useful in fighting off blockers and keeping them from getting inside on you.

3. shorter MIGHT mean playing with more leverage but again this is not an absolute. Still there is a reason that Freeney and Sapp are NOT the norm. in most cases bigger is better.
RD

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even though sometimes being shorter may give you the leverage edge, what if you're facing a 6'4 guard with long arms? The guard can just punch you on top of your pads and drive you to the ground.

The shorter arm for shorter people too is an issue. Patterson doesn't have very long arms, with that will negate some of his strength because it gives the offensive lineman a chance to get into his pads at a point where PAtterson can't.

I dont think Patterson fits in a 34 at all. He's too small, his arms are too short, and he doesn't hold up well at the point. He has to be a penetrator to be effective. Thats his game, and if you ask him to do anything else, he's not going to be any good for you. I thnk he can be a lot like what Sapp was in his early days, because his explosion off the snap and will to make plays is second to none.
inkwell

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

he works on a team like the Colts that only ask for upfield penetration from their DL. They count on that penetration to disupt the offense. Of course they have had less than satisfactory results so far but Patterson is the kind of guy they look for

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Draft All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: