You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Nate's Pre-Combine First Round Mock Draft
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> 2017 NFL Mock Draft
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sk8boy1310

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:31 am    Post subject: Nate's Pre-Combine First Round Mock Draft Reply with quote

1. Oakland Raiders
JaMarcus Russell, LSU (QB)
We could really just put any player in this spot and it would seem like a good pick for the Raiders because well, they could really use help at every position on the field. However, with Aaron Brooks proving not to be the answer is Oaktown and Andrew Walter still falling short of expectations it seems that they will have to look at the QB position here. Then it comes down to J-Marc and Brady Quinn. The safe pick here would be Quinn, but come on, has Al Davis ever played it safe? He'll go for the player with the most upside and most athletic ability, that leads to Russell. Russell a 6 foot 6, 260 pound, Daunte Culpepper type quarterback has the ability and potential to be a top-tier QB in the NFL.

2. Detroit Lions
Joe Thomas, Wisconsin (OT)
Sadly this season I could actually see the Lions drafting a WR (Calvin Johnson) and I donít believe it would be a bad pick. But since we all know that wont happen if Matt Millen wants to save his job then theyíre gonna have to look elsewhere. How bout quarterback? What about OL? DL? DB? Well again it really doesnít matter who they draft, anything will be an upgrade. Anyways Millen is known for taking the best available and that will likely be Joe Thomas, who is clearly the most polished OT in the draft. Thomas did injure his knee in 2005 while playing defensive tackle in a bowl game but showed that his knee could hold up in 2006 having his best season yet. I still think we could see the Lions drafting Brady Quinn here if he has a good showing at the combine to re-up his stock, but after Kitna was sacked 63 times in í06 the Lions really need some help on their offensive line. The Lions also might give Josh McCown or Dan Orlovsky another year to see if one of the two could be their future quarterback.

3/4. Cleveland Browns*
Adrian Peterson, Oklahoma (RB)
The Browns have a couple of options sitting at number 3. Give up on Charlie Frye and draft Brady Quinn. Upgrade their backfield and draft the highly touted Adrian Peterson. Or draft Ted Washingtonís replacement in Alan Branch. All three options would really improve their roster one way or another. But given Phil Savageís history with drafting the player with the most potential, I see them taking the player with the most upside of any RB in this draft, Adrian Peterson. If it wasnít for Petersonís injury last season we might be talking about him as the potential number 1 pick. Reuben Droughns hasnít really been a big impact in the Browns offense and his end might be near as we head into the offseason to clear cap space to make a run at Adalius Thomas or a veteran QB.

3/4. Tampa Bay Buccaneers*
Calvin Johnson, Georgia Tech (WR)
The Buccs will likely not pass on Calvin Johnson the unbelievable talent at WR and maybe the best we've seen since Larry Fitzgerald if he's still on the board. Johnson just has that unbelievable athleticism and talent that he showed in his 3 years as Georgia Tech's go-to wideout. His 6-5, 235 pound frame and 4.4 speed will certainly make him a top wideout in the NFL and Chris Simms (or whoever the Buccs QB will be) new favorite pass catcher surpassing the aging Joey Galloway and one-year-and-done Michael Clayton. No doubt this a solid pick for the Buccs lackluster offense.

5. Arizona Cardinals
Alan Branch, Michigan (DT)
The Cards would love to trade up to get Joe Thomas but if that doesnít happen they could better their rush defense. Branch would be a brick wall on the front of that D-Line in Arizona with that 6-6, 330 pound frame especially in a conference with star RB's Shaun Alexander and Steven Jackson.

6. Washington Redskins
Jamaal Anderson, Arkansas (DE)
Not many people heard of Jamaal Anderson before this season when he led the SEC with 13.5 sacks. Anderson a junior from Little Rock has surpassed Gaines Adams as this years top DE. For a guy whose 6 foot 6 and weighs 280 pounds he hopes to show his athleticism with a solid 40 time at either his pro day or the NFL combine. The Redskins had a surprisingly bad 2006 season finishing with a 5-11 record. The Skins brought in a fresh face quarterback last season in Jason Campbell who showed promise in the few starts that he had and with the return of star RB Clinton Portis the offensive seems to be heading in the right direction. The defense however is getting older and older and the Skins should look to add youth to their defense with their first couple of selections. Anderson would be a good fit alongside veterans Andre Carter and Cornelius Griffin.

7. Minnesota Vikings
Ted Ginn Jr., Ohio St. (WR)
Minnesota might be a little scared off with this pick because he is a lot like Troy Williamson their first round pick in 2004 NFL draft who so far has turned out to be a bust. But there is no denying Ginn's talent and athletic ability and any upgrade at WR for the Vikes would be just that. Ginn's dangerous on kick and punt returns and would fit well in the slot along side Travis Taylor and Marcus Robinson. The only problem is finding that QB who can throw the ball to them. It's unlikely that Brad Johnson will be back and Tavaris Jackson doesnít seem to be the answer this early in his career. If Russell or Quinn could become available to the Vikes donít be surprised to see them trade up for one of the two.

8. Houston Texans
Levi Brown, Penn St (OT)
The Texans havenít had a solid left tackle since they thought that they found their anchor with Tony Boselli back in 2002 when they chose him first in their expansion draft. Well Boselli never really worked out and he is since retired leaving the Texans with much room for improvement. The Texans would love to trade up in the draft to get Joe Thomas but it would likely mean spending much more then they can afford to spend seeing as they have many other needs in this draft. Levi Brown lost a step in his senior season with Penn St. having a disappointing year and also missing a few games due to arthroscopic knee surgery. However, Brown was a very solid four year starter at Penn St. and has been raved about by legendary head coach Joe Paterno. Brown would really fit in to the Gary Kubiakís offensive scheme and would eventually challenge Ephram Salaam for the starting left tackle spot.

9. Miami Dolphins
Amobi Okoye, N.C. St. (DT)
Okoye is a great story, a 19 year old senior from Nigeria who played as a 16 year old freshman at Louisville. Obviously a very smart individual and shows no sign of anything less on the football field. No doubt Okoye is a top 10 talent and the Dolphins would love to see him fall to them in a year where they will probably lose 2 if not 3 of their top defensive linemen. The Dolphins have a new coach in Cam Cameron and are looking for a fresh start, Okoye would certainly deliver that youth to their D-Line. The Dolphins may also look at their secondary with this pick, either Leon Hall or Laron Landry are other possibilities here.

10. Atlanta Falcons
LaRon Landry, LSU (S)
The Falcons may have the team to get the job done in 2007 but they were also supposed to have that team in '06 and even '05. With all the off field issues going on with Mike Vick and now the hiring of former Louisville Coach Bobby Petrino the Falcons may have to start over. Does that mean Matt Shaub? I donít believe so seeing as Vick has a ridiculous contract and I donít see any team really jumping up willing to pay that much for a player who hasnít been able to get it done these last few seasons. Do I think Shaub would be a better fit in Petrino's offense then Mike Vick? Yes, and maybe we could finally see Michael Jenkins break out and certify himself as a premiere player. With that said again I still donít see any change right now with the offense, which leaves the Falcons to improve their defense. Last season the Falcons had a respectable defense ranked 12th in the league, but were the 4th worst in the league against the pass and 8th worst in turnover margin. The Falcons really need depth in the secondary and could really use a CB to play across from DeAngelo Hall. I believe they will be big players in the Nate Clements sweepstakes and may land the vet corner. Therefore I see them taking a safety with the 10th overall selection, leaving them with really two choices, Laron Landry or Reggie Nelson. Nelson is tagged as a playmaking hit or miss safety, who has the potential to be a Ed Reed but also has the downside of only playing 2 years of college ball at Florida. Then thereís Landry a 4 year starter at LSU who finished his collegiate career with 315 tackles and 12 interceptions. Landry might be the safest pick in this years draft aside from Joe Thomas and could certainly come in and start as a rookie. I think the Falcons need to realize they have a real shot at winning a championship now and should take a good player who can start right now rather than a player who could become great with a few years of grooming.

11. San Francisco 49ers
Dwayne Jarrett, USC (WR)
Going into last season after seeing the Niners roster honestly I didnít think they'd win a game. However they proved me wrong and won a surprising 7 games and beat the division winner Seattle twice. As a rookie Alex Smith looked to be a huge bust but last season he proved that he could put those "small hands" to work and threw for 2890 yards and 16 td's. Now all he needs to take his game to the next level and maybe the team to the next level is a go-to receiver. Antonio Bryant, when healthy, did a solid job last season and a few others chipped in as well but they really lacked that playmaker who can make those unbelievable one handed grabs and turn that 5 yard curl into a 85 yard TD. If you look up Dwayne Jarrett's name in a dictionary you should find that exact description. Jarrett was a stand-out playmaker for his three seasons at USC and really helped solidify the legacy of Matt Leinart and jump start the career of John David Booty. Despite a few critics who say Jarret should've came back to USC for his senior season, then leave for the NFL with more polished receiver skills, I believe Jarrett made the right choice in coming out as a junior because he has all the skills needed to be an NFL target. I realize that he's had some issues with taking some plays off but I think the best way to fix that is to have an NFL coach like Mike Nolan screaming in your face when you do take a play off. Jarrett has excellent hands and solid speed and would be a potent weapon for Alex Smith and the Niners next season.

12. Buffalo Bills
Leon Hall, Michigan (CB)
Another team that surprised some people in 2006 was the Buffalo Bills. J.P. Losman had a good season, as did most of the Bills defense. One area where they really struggled though was in the defensive secondary, and with the probable loss of top cornerback Nate Clements this offseason it is likely that the Bills will have to look for a new shutdown CB. Living in Buffalo and after watching just about every Bills game this season I began to wonder if Terrence McGee was really a DB or if he would be better off just returning kicks. He doesnít seem to have those elite coverage skills that other #1 Corners do, like Clements. I believe that McGee will return with at least the #2 spot rapped up for next season seeing as we really have not much depth on the roster right now other than rookie Ashton Youboty. It's likely that the Bills will express part of that need through free agency leaving them with the draft to fill the remaining holes. Leon Hall is without a doubt the best cover corner in this years draft and if he's still available at pick 12 I see no reason why the Bills should waste any longer than 30 seconds in getting their selection to Roger Godell. However there is one scenario I have for the Bills seeing as they really need to upgrade the secondary... Why not pull off a deal similar to the Portis-Bailey deal where the Bills would trade Willis McGahee, who has expressed his feelings toward Buffalo and some of the players and has had injury trouble in his 4 years as a Bill, and move him for a shutdown #1 corner who could solidify the secondary. In that scenario the Bills would then use this draft choice for a RB, such as Marshawn Lynch. Again this is just a scenario and is unlikely to ever happen but seeing as how the Broncos made out well in that deal I donít see how it would hurt Buffalo.

13. St. Louis Rams
Gaines Adams, Clemson (DE)
The Rams are in serious need of some defensive help and who better to bring youth back to that D-Line than 6 foot 5, 260 pound Gaines Adams, a freak of an athlete at Clemson, who returned a botched snap on a field goal 66 yards for a game changing score against Wake Forest last season. Adams is maybe the best natural pass rusher in the draft and some see him as a DE/OLB tweener, but wherever he plays he's sure to bring excitement and speed to the football field. The Rams may look linebacker here seeing as they really could use some youth to help out their veterans, and Lawrence Timmons is a real possibility in this spot but if Adams is still available I donít see them passing on his athletic ability.

14. Carolina Panthers
Lawrence Timmons, Florida St. (LB)
Weren't the Panthers supposed to win the Super Bowl last season? Weren't they supposed to have the most depth on offense and defense and have the most complete team in all of football? Well the Panthers finished just 8-8 and missed the playoffs, leaving them with the 14th overall pick in the draft. The Panthers are gonna need a new QB in the next couple of years with Jake Delhomme aging as fast as his stats are declining, but in this particular draft there isnít one of those mid-1st round QB's the Panthers can rely on to fall to them unless they make a huge reach and take Drew Stanton. Another option would be to trade down and look to see where the next best QB falls to. But I think that the Panthers will have to realize that there isnít much special in terms of gun-slingers in this draft and they may have to wait until next year to and draft a Brohm, Henne or Brennan. That leaves the Panthers with a pick that they can just use to either increase their depth or just to get younger. One spot they really could benefit from getting younger at is their LB corps. In a year where the linebacker position is not very highly stacked and the possibility that there may only be 2 or 3 chosen in the first round, being a major drop off from the last few seasons, is almost better for Carolina seeing as they should get their choice of LB's as this is probably the first spot in the draft a linebacker would go, barring any unbelievable combine or pro day for any of them. With that said the most talented linebacker in this years draft with the most upside is Lawrence Timmons who left after his junior season at Florida St. Timmons has big play potential and with a good pro day could see himself fly up draft boards.

15. Pittsburgh Steelers
Ryan Kalil, USC (C)
A center is a pretty big stretch this early in the first round, but for a team that is one year removed from winning the Super Bowl and may be only a few pieces away from winning another one this is more a "what we need now pick". And donít sell Kalil so short he certainly has the talent to be a first rounder and was influential in blocking for great USC backs these last couple of years such as Reggie Bush, LenDale White, Chauncey Washington and super-frosh C.J. Gable. Kalil may be a better fit in a zone blocking scheme like that of Denver or possibly Atlanta, but with his athleticism he should be able to start for anyone. If Atlanta were to trade down in the first round it seems that Kalil would be a perfect fit, but with pressing needs at DB and WR it seems that they will take the best available at the 10th pick. Maybe the Steelers also look at Marshawn Lynch here to be a good backfield mate with Willie Parker.

16. Green Bay Packers
Marshawn Lynch, Cal (RB)
The Packers are likely going to lose Ahman Green, whoís been their starting tailback since 2000 to free agency. And the uncertainty of Vernand Morency and Noah Herron forming into a starter, the Packers are going to need to do something to improve their backfield. There arenít going to be many ďtopĒ running backs in free agency (unless you still consider Jamal Lewis a top running back) leaving the Packers with the draft. Thereís no doubt that Adrian Peterson will be off the board and its not farfetched to think Lynch could be too, so the Packers may trade up a few spots to get their man. Lynch is a very explosive running back and a sure home run threat, something the Packers have lacked with Ahman Green.

17. Jacksonville Jaguars
Darrelle Revis, Pittsburgh (CB)
Another team that may be looking for their future QB after showing the door to Byron Leftwich and doubting the abilities of David Garrard, but again there isnít really that middle of the road QB who could get a look at this pick. However, unlike the Panthers this is a team who has some other serious needs, and one of those needs is in the defensive secondary. A lot of people may not have heard about Darrelle Revis before last season, and maybe still havenít heard of him. Revis was a shutdown corner on a Pittsburgh team who really hasnít shown much else these last few seasons, at least since the departure of Larry Fitzgerald. Although Revis hasnít put up outstanding numbers in his career at Pittsburgh he ranks among the best in this years draft because of his excellent speed and outstanding coverage skills. The Jags may give a look here to fellow DB's Reggie Nelson and Daymeion Hughes.

18. Cincinnati Bengals
Greg Olsen, Miami (TE)
Maybe a bit of a reach here in the middle of the first round but I fully expect Olsen to solidify himself not only as the top tight end in the draft but also as first round talent at the combine/pro day. Olsen was the main target in Miami the last few seasons catching over 30 passes in his last two seasons while Miami struggled with QB issues. Olsen is a big target at 6 foot 5 and compares a lot to former Miami star and current Giant TE Jeremy Shockey. The Bengals may have been an extra point and a overtime field goal away from a playoff birth last season and will look to rebound next season as they will challenge the Steelers and Ravens for the division crown. While the Bengals could look to improve on their defensive secondary I believe that if given the opportunity to give Carson Palmer another weapon in the passing game they will not pass up on it. The Bengals have lacked a pass catching tight end for years now and in an era where tight ends seem to have a place in every offenses passing whether big or small it would be very useful for the Bengals to have that option.

19. Tennessee Titans
Robert Meachem, Tennessee (WR)
The Titans are in need of a big play wideout to help rookie of the year Vince Young progress as a starter in the NFL. As weíve learned in Atlanta a superstar QB needs to be able to do more than just run to get to the next level. Vince Young completed a pass to 16 different players last season and no more than 40 to any one of them. Now with Drew Bennett expected to sign elsewhere as a free agent, the Titans are going to need a playmaking receiver to replace him and join a crop of young late round picks from the past including Bobby Wade, Brandon Jones, Roydell Williams and Courtney Roby. Robert Meachem would fit well across the field from either veteran David Givens or one of their young wideouts. Meachem has good size, speed and great hands, and was influential in helping once doubted Erik Ainge into a Heisman Candidate. The Titans may also look for some backfield help to Travis Henry with a running back like Marshawn Lynch if heís still available.

20. New York Giants
Aaron Ross, Texas (CB)
The Giants have a lot of questions going into the 2007 season. Can Manning #2 win the big one? Will the Giants run game lose a step with Brandon Jacobs instead of Tiki Barber? Can Tom Coughlin begin to relate to his players and get them to the Super Bowl? Can Coughlin even keep his job throughout the 2007 season? Well the Giants have a good offense on paper, but it all comes down to whether or not the stars can keep their cool and play to their potential. The Giants improved their secondary last season with the addition of a few veterans, but they are just that, old veterans. The Giants really need to add depth to their secondary and maybe more important, add youth. Aaron Ross might be the fastest DB in this yearís draft, and also showed up with a good senior season at Texas, leading the Texas defense to a 26-24 win over Iowa in the Alamo Bowl. Ross would learn a lot from Sam Madison and R.W. McQuarters and could turn into a shut down corner with a year or two of experience.

21. Denver Broncos
Charles Johnson, Georgia (DE)
Last season the Broncos were a victory against the 49ers away from the playoffs, and given a solid QB they may have had a first round bye with the talent they had on their team. Now with Jay Cutler coming into his second season the team needs to exceed those high expectations. They look solid all around the field and will certainly be a player in free agency this offseason, but some areas that they could use depth is on the defensive line and defensive secondary. The Broncos would be very lucky to have Charles Johnson to fall to at #21. Charles Johnson had a standout junior season at Georgia finishing with a career high 9.5 sacks and out performing star teammate and line mate Quentin Moses. Johnson would be an ideal pass rusher in the NFL and would really help out the Broncos D-Line. The Broncos could also look to get younger in the secondary, especially after the tragedy to Darrent Williams. Reggie Nelson could be an ideal replacement to John Lynch when he moves on and could push Dominique Foxworth back to corner.

22. Dallas Cowboys
Reggie Nelson, Florida (S)
Well if the Broncos were a win away from the playoffs, the Cowboys were and extra point away from the NFC divisional round of the playoffs! We all know what happened with Tony Romo and the botched snap and how all those Romo lovers in Dallas may be calling for another starting QB already, but we also know that will never happen, at least for now. And the Cowboys are thinking about now, not the future. The Cowboys seemed to have no speed in their defensive secondary last season, and had a huge hole at free safety. If Reggie Nelson is still available to the Cowboys at pick 22 they should take a shot on this high upside player. The only question with Nelson is that he only played two years at Florida and many believe he will need a season or two to get adjusted to the NFLís level of play. Nelson has big play potential and a ton of speed which is just what the Cowboys lacked last season at free safety.

23. Kansas City Chiefs
Sidney Rice, South Carolina (WR)
Trent Green has needed a young, fast, playmaker at wideout for the past couple of seasons and whether he returns or not the Chiefs are in need of that playmaker. Sidney Rice is a lot like Dwayne Jarret in terms of size and speed, but just didnít have that star QB throwing him the football in college. However in Riceís two seasons as the #1 wideout at South Carolina Rice put up outstanding numbers with over 70 catches and over 1,000 yards in each of his two seasons as a starter. The Chiefs are mainly a running offense right now with all-pro Larry Johnson, but remember from 2003 to 2005 Trent Green threw for over 4,000 yards in each season. Rice would be a good fit for the Chiefs and could learn from veterans Eddie Kennison and Tony Gonzalez.

24. New England Patriots
Adam Carriker, Nebraska (DE)
The Patriots as of right now are the only team so lucky of having two first round picks in the 2007 draft and they are only four spots away from one another. I also thought that these two picks might be the hardest to predict this early in the draft because you never know what Bill Belichick is gonna do when his team is on the clock. Honestly who predicted that they would take Logan Mankins in the first round of the 2005 draft? With that said the Patriots will have the opportunity to upgrade in two areas, and I assume both will be on the defensive side of the ball. For their first choice I believe it might be a value pick, taking the best player available. That would lead me to believe that Adam Carriker would be that player. He has great size at 6-6, and just shy of 300 pounds and plays very hard and fast, making him a good fit as a DE for Belichickís 3-4 defense.

25. New York Jets
DeMarcus ďTankĒ Tyler, N.C. St. (DT)
The Jets had a surprisingly good season in New York and only look to move forward from there. The Jets could use a franchise running back but at this stage of the draft there isnít likely that back available to them. I also expect them to be bidders for Michael Turner, who may turn out to be one of the best RBís available this offseason. The Jets used their first round pick last season to select a big offensive tackle in DíBrickashaw Ferguson, and I expect them to do the same in this draft, only on the defensive side of the ball. Tank Tyler who had a solid senior season at N.C. State with a career high 49 tackles and 3 sacks would be a good fit in the Jets defense. Playing along side veterans Dewayne Robertson and Kimo von Olehoffen would help Tyler develop as a player and as a player playing under the New York lifestyle.

26. Philadelphia Eagles
Paul Posluszny, Penn St. (LB)
The Eagles seem to have the team in place to get back to the Super Bowl, and barring a few injuries they might have had a good shot at getting there last season. The Eagles are solid all around the field but are getting old at the linebacker position. Paul Posluszny is an outstanding talent and an outstanding person who seems to have a bright future in the NFL if he can fully heal from the knee injury he suffered two seasons ago. Had Posluszny listened to the media and scouts and turned pro last season he probably would have been a top 10-15 pick in last yearís draft. Now those same scouts are saying that heís not talented enough to play in the NFL. Huh? In my opinion Paul is an outstanding leader on the football field and also and outstanding player who could be a solid tackler at linebacker for years in the NFL.

27. New Orleans Saints
Patrick Willis, Ole Miss (LB)
Wouldnít it have been so fitting for the Saints to win the Super Bowl last season, one year after the tragedy of Hurricane Katrina? Well even though they fell just short of doing so they still were the best feel good story in the NFL last season with rookie head coach Sean Payton at the helm. In 2007 they will look to pick up where they left off in í06 after having a spectacular draft with their leading pass catcher in Reggie Bush and maybe the best 2nd day pick since Tom Brady in Marques Colston who also led the team in receiving yards with over 1,000 yards. This season I expect the Saints to draft mainly on the defensive side of the ball. While their offense was one of the best in the league their defense was not so much and they could look to improve on their linebackers or their secondary. Wouldnít it also be so fitting for the Saints to draft a fan favorite from Ole Miss to head the top of their draft class for 2007? Patrick Willis is a very instinctive linebacker who had over 120 tackles over his last two seasons at Ole Miss.

28. New England Patriots
Daymeion Hughes, Cal (CB)
The second of New Englandís two first round picks will likely be used to sure up their defensive secondary. Now it just depends on whoís available and who New England believes is the best choice for their team. Daymeion Hughes has good height for a cornerback at 6 foot 2 but may lack the speed to cover those ďburnerĒ type receivers such as Steve Smith or Santana Moss. Luckily for New England they rarely play either the Panthers or the Redskins in the regular season and even when they do, they have the depth to put another DB in to cover the speedsters. Hughes is a very good cover corner with soft hands and excellent ball skills. Hughes is also a very solid tackler for a CB, racking up over 60 tackles in each of his two seasons as a starter.

29. Baltimore Ravens
Anthony Spencer, Purdue (DE/OLB)
The Ravens have had a dominating defense for what seems like forever. With the leadership of Ray Lewis and the intensity of Ed Reed no one can say that the Ravens donít have the defense to get them to a championship. However their offense came alive for most of the 2006 campaign with the resurgence of Steve McNair as their quarterback. The Ravens have a lot of choices in this draft as they may look for Steve McNairís replacement when he moves on, a steady backup for Jamal Lewis who can also be the starter if Lewis struggles, youth on the offensive line, and finally a replacement for Adalius Thomas who will likely get a hefty contract offer from another team this offseason. While there will be solid running backs available such as Antonio Pittman, Michael Bush, and Tony Hunt at this point in the draft it would surprise me if they didnít look for a new OLB to replace Thomas. A lot of teams may pick up on Anthony Spencerís talents at the combine but if he falls all the way to the Ravens I would be shocked if they let him pass by. Spencer is this years ideal tweener as a possible DE/OLB, just like Kam Wimbley and DeMarcus Ware were in previous seasons. Although Spencer is not as highly touted as either of them he possesses many of the same qualities, ideal speed and an excellent jump off the ball just to name a few. However Spencer was not very productive until his senior season at Purdue where he racked up 93 tackles (26.5 for a loss), and 10.5 sacks. While Spencer may still have to prove his ability at the combine, he could be a high draft pick come April 28th.

30. San Diego Chargers
Dwayne Bowe, LSU (WR)
San Diego has really lacked a dominant wideout these past few seasons with the exception of tight end Antonio Gates. Keenan McCardell is old, Eric Parker has been some what of a bust and Vincent Jackson has potential but lacks the presence of mind to reach that potential. Leaving the Chargers with the choice to either spend big in free agency for a Donte Stallworth or Drew Bennett, or wait until draft day and hope a to find a special receiver late in the first round of the draft. With that said I really canít say whether or not the Chargers will make an offer to a free agent receiver at this time leaving me to predict who they could find late in the first round. Dwayne Bowe had a spectacular senior bowl week and really upped his draft stock from a middle first day pick to a middle to late first round pick. If Bowe falls behind players such as Sidney Rice and Robert Meachem he could find himself with a good opportunity in San Diego to be a #1 receiver. Bowe never put up spectacular numbers at LSU but was a very consistent receiver since his sophomore season who rarely dropped balls. Doesnít have much more than average speed but for a guy who is 6 foot 3 and weighs 217 pounds with an exceptional jumping ability. Bowe would be a good fit for the Chargers and would add an extra target for Philip Rivers to take some of the pressure off of L.T.

31. Chicago Bears
Justin Blalock, Texas (OG)
The Bears had the team this year to win a Championship but just maybe with a better performance from their quarterback they could've took beaten the Colts. Now unless somehow Quinn or Russell fall this far (which won't happen) or Drew Stanton has a terrific combine, there really isnít a worthy QB in this spot for the Bears to draft. That leaves the Bears with the option to get younger on the OL and I believe that is what they try and do, and if Blalock is available hear it seams like a no-brainer. Blalock played tackle in college and excelled at it very well. Now heís projected as more of a guard at the next level with his 6 foot 4, 330 pound frame. The Bears could use that kind of versatility on their O-line and may need to find a replacement for pending free agent Ruben Brown.

32. Indianapolis Colts
Justin Harrell, Tennessee (DT)
Thereís no way the Colts could ever win a championship with the leagues worst defense against the run and with that future Hall of Fame quarterback who will never be able to win the big one struggling in the first few rounds of the playoffs, right? Well Peyton finally got that big Ďole monkey off his back and won the big one, and the leagues worst defense against the run looked like they swapped places with their Super Bowl opponent the Chicago Bears. No doubt theyíll be partying in Indy but if thereís one coach who wonít allow them to have a Super Bowl hangover itís certainly Tony Dungy, so expect those Colts to be back and even better next season. The Colts could look to get younger at WR with Brandon Stokley unsure if he will return and Aaron Moorehead struggled in the Super Bowl with a few big drops early in the game. If a talented receiver such as Rice, Bowe or Meachem fall this late in the draft look for the Colts to give Peyton a fresh face in the passing game. But the Colts Achilles heal last season was their run defense and with the Colts unsure about the return of Raheem Brock and Corey Simon from their injuries/illnesses look for them to improve their depth at DT. Jason Harrell is a good talent on the defensive front whose senior season was cut short to 3 games do to injury. If Harrell can prove that he can rebound from that nasty ruptured biceps tendon he suffered last season he could solidify himself as a first round talent and would be a good fit to add some depth to the Colts already banged up defensive line.
yeah876

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

why would the pats draft a DE when they have seymour, Warren, and Green.
Steegles46

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Eagles are not old at the linebacker position. Actually, they're quite young; too young, actually, as a lot of Eagles fans would like to see a veteran brought in as insurance (Rob Morris?). It's painful to see Carriker fall so far and then get snatched up two spots before the Eagles pick. In this scenario, I believe that Griffin must be the pick.
ok go26

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steegles46 wrote:
The Eagles are not old at the linebacker position. Actually, they're quite young; too young, actually, as a lot of Eagles fans would like to see a veteran brought in as insurance (Rob Morris?). It's painful to see Carriker fall so far and then get snatched up two spots before the Eagles pick. In this scenario, I believe that Griffin must be the pick.

Yeah. I think the #1 rule on this site should be to never make any other Eagles pick with Griffin still on the board. Visit our forum and you'll see what I mean.

Yeah, last thing we need at LB is another prospect, though. I'm happier with mocks that have us taking none of them than those that have us taking one in the first. Griffin's a better pick; if not him, pick a DE. Don't want Poz in the first, though.

"If you've got it, flaunt it. If you don't, flaunt statistics."
Eagles27

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok go26 wrote:
Steegles46 wrote:

Yeah. I think the #1 rule on this site should be to never make any other Eagles pick with Griffin still on the board. Visit our forum and you'll see what I mean.

Yeah, last thing we need at LB is another prospect, though. I'm happier with mocks that have us taking none of them than those that have us taking one in the first. Griffin's a better pick; if not him, pick a DE. Don't want Poz in the first, though.

I agree.

Even if the eagles draft a LB they would draft Pat Willis, not Posluszny. Our biggest needs are DE, CB and S.

#JDI
T-Bro

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Nate's Pre-Combine First Round Mock Draft Reply with quote

Sk8boy1310 wrote:
[
8. Houston Texans
Levi Brown, Penn St (OT)
The Texans havenít had a solid left tackle since they thought that they found their anchor with Tony Boselli back in 2002 when they chose him first in their expansion draft. Well Boselli never really worked out and he is since retired leaving the Texans with much room for improvement. The Texans would love to trade up in the draft to get Joe Thomas but it would likely mean spending much more then they can afford to spend seeing as they have many other needs in this draft. Levi Brown lost a step in his senior season with Penn St. having a disappointing year and also missing a few games due to arthroscopic knee surgery. However, Brown was a very solid four year starter at Penn St. and has been raved about by legendary head coach Joe Paterno. Brown would really fit in to the Gary Kubiakís offensive scheme and would eventually challenge Ephram Salaam for the starting left tackle spot.

lets go ahead and clear a few things up, because im pretty sure you dont know sh*t about the texans.

Bosellie NEVER PLAYED A FRICKIKNG DOWN FOR THE TEXANS. to say he "never really worked out" might be the biggest understatement ive ever heard.

JoePa is 80 years old so his "raving" could easily be mistaken for raving madness.

And CHALLENGE EPHRAIM SALAAM?????? i would hope that even if we pick a tackle in the tenth round he would be better than Ephraim salaam. besides the fact that he is not even our starting tackle. Charles spencer will start if he is healthy, if not prbly Eric Winston.

ON top of all this Levi Brown is just a bad pick at #8.

so to quote your girl avril. your just a skater boy so i'll see you later boy, you just not good enough for me.
JAGS2400

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not a huge fan of the Jaguars pick, solely for the reason that we signed Brian Williams to a hige contract last season. Otherwise, I would eb all for it.

Anyway, great overall job on this mock. I can tell that you put a lot of time into it.

Peace, I am outta here.......
SmithToGinnTD

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Reuben Droughns hasnít really been a big impact in the Browns offense and his end might be near as we head into the offseason to clear cap space to make a run at Adalius Thomas or a veteran QB. "

The Browns are already in the top 5 in cap room, and don't need another linebacker.

I completely agree with the rest of the explanation and the pick though.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a terrible viking pick and many of the other picks are not happening.

A couple things...

-Travis Taylor is going to be released after he was arrested.

-Ginn is the most overrated player in the 2007 NFL Draft and should be taken in round 1

-The Vikings would not consider moving up in any way for a QB, thats why they picked Tarvaris Jackson earlier then most predicted last year...

-They wont take a WR in Rd 1 if Johnson isnt the one there

-The only reason they would trade up is for Calvin Johnson.

overall a bad mock id give it an F and you need to do more research before puting Greg Olson in the Top 20 let alone the first round.

"When a team outgrows individual performance and learns team confidence, excellence becomes a reality."
--Joe Paterno.
X_Factor_40

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it unlikely that the Lions take Thomas. Backus is one of the top 5 paid LT's in the game, and I don't see him making a position change. Where would we play Thomas? If we pass on CJ, it could be a mistake. I don't care if we've taken a WR and failed. CJ is as close to a can't miss prospect as you can hope for. The most likely pick is Gaines Adams. We need a pass rushing DE to help build the Cover 2.
AZBearsFan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um yeah, just an oversight i think, but

IS BRADY QUINN NOT IN THE FIRST ROUND AT ALL?????

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A+ COWBOYS DRAFT Cool

Vikings101

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Vikings pick, but Travis Taylor and Marcus Robinson won't be on the team next year and we definitey won't be trading up for a QB.

Sig by chief_fan822003
acadzow

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like posluzny goin to the iladelph probly another mcnabb type situation would occur, he'll be loved here

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> 2017 NFL Mock Draft All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: