Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Chiefs Shopping LJ
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chief_fan822003

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:08 pm    Post subject: Chiefs Shopping LJ Reply with quote

Quote:
Adam Schefter from the NFL Network told Ben Maller on FOX GameTime Live Monday, that he thought Larry Johnson would hold out during training camp, if he doesn't get a new deal from Kansas City: "I believe that we will not see Larry Johnson in KC until he has a new contract. He will not be there under the existing terms of the contract. He's made too much noise, it's too important to him, there is too much money going around at that position." Would they trade Johnson? "No matter what they said, they were floating his name around the league. If they could have gotten a one, two, and a three, they would have dealt him." -- Fox Sports Radio

http://msn.foxsports.com/rumors/nfl#3

No matter how much I'd love to see LJ staying in KC, If we could get a deal done like that, I may start to like the idea.
rant67

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I'm going to say is that I am completely against the trade rumor involving my Cowboys!

Don't be worried anyone, Johnson will be sporting a Chiefs jersey and helmet for a while here pretty soon.

To always be remembered...
Jetsalltheway39

Most Valuable Poster
Trophy Room
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand the direction Herm has the Chiefs going in. Last year the Chiefs were a playoff team and if they end up trading Johnson it would appear as if they were already giving up on the season. With the trading of Green and rumors swirling around Johnson it seems like the goal of this year is to prepare for the upcoming years and start rebuilding. The Chiefs have a short window with veterans: Ty Law, Patrick Surtain, Donnie Edwards, Damon Huard, Tony Gonzalez, Chris Terry and Eddie Kennison. A dramatic make over simply doesn't make sense. If the Chiefs, do in fact, end up trading Larry Johnson it would appear as a forfeit for the 2007 season.
Irish 11

Most Valuable Poster

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't understand the direction Herm has the Chiefs going in

After the Chiefs went to the trouble of bringing him in, he must have one heck of a guarantee of job security, that's for sure. There aren't many coaches that would survive a slide from a playoff spot to retool a team.
JohnnyW4Life

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Chiefs just lost their best 2 linemen the last 2 years, they overused their star RB and barely made the playoffs in tiebreakers. Trading Johnson for the future of their team's success is not a bad idea as they won't be as successful this year and will miss the playoffs anyway.

Wilsonhurtsu wrote:
Sadly I could see Goodell fining him, showing another example of his anti Pats bias.
shad 56

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Chiefs Shopping LJ Reply with quote

maybe there is some substance to the George Koonce rumor...

Quote:
If they could have gotten a one, two, and a three, they would have dealt him." -- Fox Sports Radio

So... they wont get that much out of him. What is more likely then? a first and a third? A first and a second? A player and a pick?

looks like if there is a trade KC wont get two 1st's and them some more picks like Chiefs fans expected.
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Chiefs Shopping LJ Reply with quote

shad 56 wrote:

Quote:
If they could have gotten a one, two, and a three, they would have dealt him." -- Fox Sports Radio

So... they wont get that much out of him. What is more likely then? a first and a third? A first and a second? A player and a pick?

looks like if there is a trade KC wont get two 1st's and them some more picks like Chiefs fans expected.

The Chiefs won't be able to get anything remotely close to what they want for him for a few reasons:

1. LJ is 27 years old and carried the ball 752 times in the last 2 seasons. When teams run a guy that much, it tends to break him. See Eddie George and Jamal Lewis. They were never the same player after carrying the ball so much.

2. Teams know that the Chiefs want to dump him. This immediately lessens his trade value because a team can sit tight and wait for the asking price to drop. The demand for a player is higher when he isn't available for a trade. When announcements are made that a guy is on the market, knock 2 rounds off the asking price and you've found his value around the league. The Chiefs would be lucky to get a couple of late first day draft picks for him.

3. He is in the final year of his contract. Why would a team want to trade for him now when they can just sign him in free agency after this season? It wouldn't cost them a draft pick, and the salary would be about the same.

4. Money. LJ is looking for a huge extention, but he's turning 28 in November. That's a huge risk given his age and the abuse his body has already taken. There's no guarantee that he won't fall apart after the first or second season of a 4-5 year extention. That's a ton of dead money on a dead player. Again, see Jamal Lewis.

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
shad 56

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Chiefs Shopping LJ Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
shad 56 wrote:

Quote:

The Chiefs won't be able to get anything remotely close to what they want for him for a few reasons:

1. LJ is 27 years old and carried the ball 752 times in the last 2 seasons. When teams run a guy that much, it tends to break him. See Eddie George and Jamal Lewis. They were never the same player after carrying the ball so much.

2. Teams know that the Chiefs want to dump him. This immediately lessens his trade value because a team can sit tight and wait for the asking price to drop. The demand for a player is higher when he isn't available for a trade. When announcements are made that a guy is on the market, knock 2 rounds off the asking price and you've found his value around the league. The Chiefs would be lucky to get a couple of late first day draft picks for him.

3. He is in the final year of his contract. Why would a team want to trade for him now when they can just sign him in free agency after this season? It wouldn't cost them a draft pick, and the salary would be about the same.

4. Money. LJ is looking for a huge extention, but he's turning 28 in November. That's a huge risk given his age and the abuse his body has already taken. There's no guarantee that he won't fall apart after the first or second season of a 4-5 year extention. That's a ton of dead money on a dead player. Again, see Jamal Lewis.

I have already told them this, but they didn't buy it. In fact they were quite rude about it.
BM#4

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to have him on the panthers but i just dont want to give up that much for him plus we dont have the money but it would be nice.

Greatness is never satisfied-John Madden
Buccaneer4life

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Cheifs are crazy if they dont pay him. Without him they will be the worst team in the league. He is one of the best RBs in the league and always is consistent. They have to pay him.
SpacemanSpiff

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot see what the big idea is here. Edwards appears to be just plain dismantling this roster and turning the Chiefs into a laughing stock. I've said it MANY times before, I'll say it again. That man is THE Ron Zook of the NFL.
Spiel612

Most Valuable Poster (7th Ballot)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edwards knew he had to rebuild in New York after 2005, but he wanted job security and he basically knew he was not going to get it during the Jets rebuilding phase. So instead he went to KC to help rebuild that team which is falling apart.

When the season begins, 7 of their 11 starting offensive players will be over 30 (all five linemen). On defense, Law, Surtain, and Edwards are all well past their prime and starting still. By the same token Edwards once again brought in James Reed to one of his teams and has the guy starting at DT. Reed is an absolute piece of garbage. He couldn't clog a hole to save his life.
Barnett56

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the Chiefs lose Larry Johnson, their offense goes down the crapper.

Please, trade LJ.

If LJ were traded, Brett Favre would be able to beat the Chiefs and he would then have beaten all 32 teams in the NFL except for one: The Packers.
GRRLacher

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irish 11 wrote:
There aren't many coaches that would survive a slide from a playoff spot to retool a team.

That's a perfect statement there Irish....he has indeed taken the Chiefs from contender to being on the verge of rebuilding.

Never been a big Herm Edwards fan myself, I always thought he was more talk than bite. I hate to say it but I just have a gut feeling that the Chiefs are about to slide in to rebuilding stage and will be non-contenders for a while...especially if they deal LJ.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i really hope the deal him to the NFC, for 3 reasons

1. He deserves to be paid like a topb RB should, and if the Chiefs wont pay him then send him to someplace where someone will because he deserves to be paid

2. get him out of the afc west lol, im sick of having to deal with him and LT twice a year.

3. The NFC could use some help on trying to catch up with the AFC teams, and if LJ was sent to some where like Dallas, Atlanta, or some NFC team that would be a start to help even out the AFC with NFC

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: