Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Chiefs Shopping LJ
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blaze

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LJ isnt going anywhere. He is KC

TexanNation Roast http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=237149
THEFOOTBALLXPRT

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they trade LJ they're basically giving up on this season. Given the age of their squad they're better off keeping him to make a run this year and running him further into the ground. Then if they have to they can let him walk and build around Kolby Smith and Michael Bennett at the RB position.
StLunatic88

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the posters who have the idea the "the Cheifs are nothing without LJ", heres a news flash they arent very much with him either. you can say that he IS the team but a franchise can not stand ontop of a guy like that for long, one more year of riding this bull and he is sure to break down, or he is just going to walk. If they resign him without having any other additions to the team (offense particularly) then he will probably completely break-down and they will be left with nothing, not extra draft picks, or younger players to help rebuild, just another run down RB that could have been the francise without a LJ to step in after him. I belive a trade is eminant, because they know that they cant keep riding him, and if he holds out for 10 weeks there is no retuning to the team, even if they franchise him he will do the same next year.

But the real reason for this post is to look at the possible suitors for LJ:

Houston Texans- Right now they are relying on Ahman Green, now he is a capable stand in while they transition to a new younger RB. ALot of people do belive in the philosiphy 'If Ron Dayne can do it then anyone can' though. which is another point, the aging Green is backed up by the even more aged Ron Dayne and the 2 game wonder Wali Lundy. But even thought they really need a change and younger RB but they wont because they already gave up alot for unproven Matt Schaub and they dont have enought pieces to get him, and also LJ is a pure power runner, which doesnt really fit in with the classic Denver zone bllocking scheme. Im sure LJ could adapt to it, but then they would be underutilizing his best assets. In the end it wont happen and they most likely wont even look at the possibility.

Tennessee Titans- The reason for all the excitement last year was mostly given to Vince Young, but with out Travis Henry VY would never had the chance to make those last second heroics. His 2nd half running was among the best of the league and they are already sadly missing him. For some reason they cut him like the was the travis henry of old and as if they forgot how he ran for most of the season. Now they are looking forward to a long season of Vince being they only shadow of a running back on the team. The guy to best run with Young is Lindale White, but he cant stay in shape or even act like he cares enough. Chris Henry is pretty much a workout-warior that just looked too tasty for a them to pass up. Or they coud go with Chris Brown, who is basically Vince without an arm because one of these days he is going to break in half rinning though the line. But as much since as it makes for them to go after LJ, they still dont have the chips to get him. Nor do they have the guts to admit their mistakes (cutting Henry, drafting White & Henry, among others) and give up on then yet. Even though LJ running style is a perfect fit with VY (especially with no real recivers to speak of)

New York Giants- They could obviously use a solid vet like LJ who could bring them leadership and offensive explosion, but there is just now way that he could co-exist ther nor will they take him or that salery on. They belive (as do i) that Brandon Jacobs is the fututre star at RB and he can carry the load himself, and it also for Eli to grow up aand become a leader, and not hide in the shadow of Tiki. And LJs major Ego would be hard to fit in with Plaxico's and Shockey's who are more than enough for both teams in NY.

Green Bay Packers- They could use him more than anyone in the NFL, with it being the twilight of Favre's career and all, and him wanting better supporting cast and to win one more time before he calls it quits. But the problem is that he doesnt want THAT much of a great supporting cast because he wants to be the star and center of attention. And also the Packers orginization doesnt reallyh want to give up there youth and draft picks to make Favre happy for a year or two. so another good fit will be passed up because of a rebuilding franchise.

Atlanta Falcons- This to me is the most ideal place for the Cheifs to trade LJ to. They are in the NFC, They have an abundance of young defensive talent that cant allee the feild at the same time, and although they have the most potent running attack in the NFL it isnt the same coach or style anymore. They have also been running the ZBS for years with Warrick Dunn, and now with Jarious Norwood but now with Patrino in there they are looking to go more along the lines of the Power run game. Vick and Dunn have always had the same slashing running style (and NorWood looks to have the same type of style) and it makes it easyer than it should be to game plan for them, but if they had the power guy back there the D would have to gameplan for 2 different running styles at the same time. Plus they wouldnt have LJ to carry a good amont of the ball so Vick wouldnt have all the pressure on him.

So in the end i think that the best place for LJ to go is Atlanta, where they will love him, and appriciate him just as much as they do in KC, but they will pay him, and they wont overuse him. B ut ofcore this is just speculation, and he probably won't end up there and some team will swoop out of no where and over pay for him because they are desprate.
Bednarik60

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KC should trade him

LJ is not going to win that division. if there going to rebuild REBUILD!!! a 28 year old running back coming off a very large load of career carries who wants huge money , just isnt something you want to rebuild around. KC can hopefully get rid of LJ and land a few nice draft picks save some money, and focus on rebuilding there team. KC needs to be less concerned about there Running game and more concerned about stopping the Broncos and Chargers Running game!

KC LJ for Draft picks Wink

Sig/Art by The Great Silo
#championCHIP #CHIPlife #Sparkles
RedandGold

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
1. LJ is 27 years old and carried the ball 752 times in the last 2 seasons. When teams run a guy that much, it tends to break him. See Eddie George and Jamal Lewis. They were never the same player after carrying the ball so much.

Everyone loves to use this stat but another way to look at it is 1192 carries in the past 4 years
avg 298 per season

Id also like to state that LJ asked Herm to stay in the game even when HC Edwards was going to take him out for a breather.

As for the identity of our team we dotn have one.
Weve lost 3 Pro Bowlers in the past 2 years and are trying to switch from a high octane offense to a stingy defense...basically doing a 180

Though its often denyed its unlikely were going to be a Super Bowl contender with Croyle at the helm. This will be a season where hopefully the defense starts coming together after a strong draft and FA. The players already here now have some experience int eh system Herm wants to run.

Although I dont forsee a Super Bowl this season there are things I would like to see.

1 LJ contract resolved...pay him or get some very high picks just have the situation resolved

2 Give Croyle some time and chances to prove hes our new QB if he cant then we need to get one ASAP

3 Watch the defense take a step up towards respectability

4 Seeing players buying into HC Herm Edwards system

If we have another strong draft and FA and we should be right back into the thick of it. If not we will be in full swing rebuilding

WORST COACH IN KC HISTORY
Thanks for the sig Saintsfan
shad 56

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

StLunatic88 wrote:

Green Bay Packers- But the problem is that he doesnt want THAT much of a great supporting cast because he wants to be the star and center of attention.

Then why did Favre want Moss so bad? Why does he spend most of the offseason secluded at his house in Mississippi?
THEFOOTBALLXPRT

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shad 56 wrote:
StLunatic88 wrote:

Green Bay Packers- But the problem is that he doesnt want THAT much of a great supporting cast because he wants to be the star and center of attention.

Then why did Favre want Moss so bad? Why does he spend most of the offseason secluded at his house in Mississippi?

And for the record, Tennessee didn't cut Travis Henry. He walked as a free agent and I'm sure the Titans would have loved to of resigned him.

I don't know if I see Atlanta as the best fit for LJ, but I could see Green Bay. They might be the only team a piece away from being a legit contender.
VY

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LJ is all the Chiefs have, but really I don't see him being able to win them more than 6 games (and that is asking a lot from one guy), so I agree with you there StL.

But what do you mean by not having guts to admit their mistakes?? We had to cut Henry because he was due an $8.3 million roster bonus and was unwilling to restructure (he was cut, unfortunately FootballXprt). Get the facts straight, he's a good back in the right system, but he's not the end-all, be-all. We probably could have afforded the money but it would have taken up too much and not left enough for other players, and Henry has a history of injuries, and we can't afford to put that much into one player. Say all you want, but it's too early to judge Chris Henry, and really LenDale White for that matter. One hasn't taken an NFL snap yet, and one has taken less than 70, so let's not say they're completely useless yet. You don't know that.

In the end LJ will stay put for the next year or two, because I doubt KC would get rid of him. If Peterson trades him, KC fans should be asking for his head, because he is the most talented player they have. They just need to rebuild their line to what it formerly was, and they should be fine. Anybody could run with their old line, so once they get that back, LJ will be expendable, and some relative no-namer could even come in and become a great back in that system.
shad 56

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VY wrote:
They just need to rebuild their line to what it formerly was, and they should be fine. Anybody could run with their old line, so once they get that back, LJ will be expendable, and some relative no-namer could even come in and become a great back in that system.

LoL, I dont think it's quite that easy to build an amazing O-line.
Bednarik60

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shad 56 wrote:
VY wrote:
They just need to rebuild their line to what it formerly was, and they should be fine. Anybody could run with their old line, so once they get that back, LJ will be expendable, and some relative no-namer could even come in and become a great back in that system.

LoL, I dont think it's quite that easy to build an amazing O-line.

yeaaa it is , you just draft some big 10 guys and add water

haha

i think they would be better off investing money in the line instead of LJ and get a two headed monster (2 RB) through the next draft and off season.

Sig/Art by The Great Silo
#championCHIP #CHIPlife #Sparkles
bpinsky33

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a Chiefs fan I feel like I should weigh in on the situation. LJ is a beast, but keeping him on the Chiefs could be a problem. One, we are a rebuilding team, he will want (and deserves) a big contract. For a rebuilding team I'm not sure it is smart to invest a fifth of our salary cap on one player. Two, it will take us 2 or 3 years to get to a point where we can make a run, by that time LJ will be slowing down. It would be an injustice to LJ to waste his best years on a rebuilding team.

I hope that we could get a 1st round pick, plus a 2nd OR 3rd round pick. Most other Chiefs fans do not feel that it is enough for him, but I think they are stuck in the past. LJ is the 2nd best RB in the NFL and he deserves at least a 1st round pick (right before the draft) the fact that we will have delayed compensation for him ups his price.

I don't think Herm is the guy to blame. DV put together a team for a Super Bowl run. He did not draft very well, and he would not give our younger players a shot to play. Herm realized that the team is a long way from a Super Bowl (note the blow out in the playoff game).
Naruto

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Chiefs are an aging team and have to do something to rebuild. LJ wants to win now and get paid at the same time. He can't do that in KC and he knows it. IMO, it would be best if KC dealt him to a team on the verge of a superbowl before he becomes the next Corey Dillon.
BaltimoreTerp

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RedandGold wrote:
Quote:
1. LJ is 27 years old and carried the ball 752 times in the last 2 seasons. When teams run a guy that much, it tends to break him. See Eddie George and Jamal Lewis. They were never the same player after carrying the ball so much.

Everyone loves to use this stat but another way to look at it is 1192 carries in the past 4 years
avg 298 per season

Jamal Lewis, because of separate injuries that knocked him out of for the entire 2002 season as well as parts of the 2004 season, averaged 247 carries per season going into the 2005 season, but he still ran out of gas, mostly because of the 387 carry 2003 season. Even if he hadn't suffered wear and tear in his first couple of seasons, a historic workload like LJ's in 2006 will still do a lot of damage to the body.
"The really important kind of freedom involves attention, and awareness, and discipline, and effort, and being able truly to care about other people and to sacrifice for them, over and over, in myriad petty little unsexy ways, every day.
mblack8605

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say the best team to trade him to is Dallas. Not because I'm a Cowboys fan, either. There have been talks of trading Julius Jones. They could package their own 1st round pick, Julius Jones and maybe another pick to get LJ. They would still have MBIII and Cleveland's pick. They could use Cleveland's pick to take a DeSean Jackson or Antoine Cason. Thoughts?
cattleman78

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dallas might be logical. remember there are a lot of good runners in next years draft. dallas might give up a first and jones but probably not much more. k.c. thought they would get a first day pick for trent green also. they didn't. matt millen thought alot of teams would call him on draft day for the rights to calvin johnson. millen thought he'd get a boat load of picks. didn't happen.

Adopted Brown Tashaun Gipson safety
vs. g.bay 7 tackles,2 asst. tackles and 1 pass defended

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: