Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Chiefs Shopping LJ
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
THEFOOTBALLXPRT

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mblack8605 wrote:
I'd say the best team to trade him to is Dallas. Not because I'm a Cowboys fan, either. There have been talks of trading Julius Jones. They could package their own 1st round pick, Julius Jones and maybe another pick to get LJ. They would still have MBIII and Cleveland's pick. They could use Cleveland's pick to take a DeSean Jackson or Antoine Cason. Thoughts?

I could see where you are going there. Dallas has the ammo to make that kind of deal. If you made that deal the Dallas offense would look a lot like the San Diego offense, which could be scary. I don't like Romo or Rivers that much, but surround them with that kind of talent and, well, even Rex Grossman would look outstanding.

BTW, now that you mentioned the roster bonus, I do remember him being cut. I think my thought process was, looking at that bonus, that he might as well have just been a free agent cause no team in their right mind would give Travis Henry an 8 million dollar roster bonus.. lol
BayArea07

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As much as I would hate this move because Im a Raider fan and don't think it would ever happen, imagine if San Diego traded Michael Turner, their 1st and 3rd to the Chiefs for Larry Johnson. That would be insane. They would have essentially what USC had when their RB's were Reggie Bush and Lendal White, but a lot better. That would be the ultimate thunder and lightning, two headed monster running back combo ever. And the Chiefs would get in return an up and coming RB who's easily worth a first round pick from his learning and experience playing behind the games best RB. I know its crazy but even I would be excited to watch the Chargers offense
shad 56

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As of right now the Cowboys seem the most logical

what about a 3 team trade?

Chargers get:
Packers 2nd

Chiefs get:
Packers 1st
Michael Turner

Packers get:
Larry Johnson

I know same Division trades don't happen, but this makes a lot of sense to me.
amosthewarrior

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shad 56 wrote:

Chargers get:
Packers 2nd

Chiefs get:
Packers 1st
Michael Turner

Packers get:
Larry Johnson

That trade makes very little sense:

1. Michael Turner is 1 ½ years younger than LJ. Michael Turner has 1 less year of NFL experience. Is Turner really that much more of an up and coming “young” star than LJ? No. Their ages and experience are pretty similar.

2. LJ is not “beat up.” The guy had a great year last year and carried the load. Last year was his FIRST year as a starter full time. Remember that LJ didn’t play for his first two years. He has averaged a little more than 200 attempts his first 4 years in the NFL.

3. LJ is 27 years old. He isn’t 28. He still has 2 ½ seasons before he is 30.

4. Like LJ, Turner wants to be paid like a star. Which “star” RB would you rather invest in? That’s right, the proven commodity, which would be LJ. Yes, LJ will still be paid more than Turner, but I doubt it is a lot different.

5. Everyone who knows something about Carl Peterson, the longest tenured GM in all of professional sports, knows that he LOVES LJ. Why? Because CP drafted LJ in the 1st round when Priest was still around setting TD records. Everyone, including me, hated this draft pick at the time. And now the pick makes CP look like a genius.

6. LJ is not a big malcontent. His Dad is a football coach at Penn. St. LJ is a little weird, but not a problem in the locker room. In other words, he would not fit in with the Randy Moss, Pac-Man, The Bangles, or TO.

7. The Chiefs usually retain players they draft. The one large exception was Donnie Edwards and he is back. The other was Joe Horn, but everyone thought the Saints were stupid to sign him because he really didn’t play in KC.

8. The Chiefs have TONS of cap space to sign LJ.

9. He is the face of the Kansas City Chiefs. He makes the Chiefs a lot money. Why would the Chiefs trade that?

10. The Chiefs were a playoff team last year and have only gotten better. Why would they trade the best piece of a playoff team? Anyone who says that the Chiefs have been rebuilding because they traded Trent “I have fallen a can’t get up” Green didn’t watch him play last year or watch the play off game. The Chiefs made the playoff despite Trent’s horrible few games. The Chiefs are reloading.

11. LJ has never demanded a trade and the Chiefs never put him on the open market. They may have tested the water a little before the draft to see if there was Rickey Williams trade potential, but that is it.

Anyone who thinks LJ is going to be traded this year spends way too much time being a fantasy football geek. Get in touch with reality.
StLunatic88

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VY wrote:
But what do you mean by not having guts to admit their mistakes?? We had to cut Henry because he was due an $8.3 million roster bonus and was unwilling to restructure (he was cut, unfortunately FootballXprt). Get the facts straight, he's a good back in the right system, but he's not the end-all, be-all. We probably could have afforded the money but it would have taken up too much and not left enough for other players, and Henry has a history of injuries, and we can't afford to put that much into one player. Say all you want, but it's too early to judge Chris Henry, and really LenDale White for that matter. One hasn't taken an NFL snap yet, and one has taken less than 70, so let's not say they're completely useless yet. You don't know that.

What do you mean you HAD to cut him, you didnt use that 8.3 mil on any new offensive weapons, your only weapon was Travis Henry and you just let the guy walk without getting anything for him, stupid mistake, and you left yourself in the situation with Lindale white as you only RB, then picked up an overhyped lesser Henry at RB, and took back Chris Brown because he had no where else to go. so now instead of a solid guy who you could count on week in and week out, and one of the best second half runners in the game after LT LJ and SJ. Those are all mistsakes, and anyone not clouded by their own hopes for the team can see that. You didnt get a good #1 guy in FA or the draft, nor did you get a formidible replacement for Henry with the extra 8mil you saved, you just stuck in bodies and hope that you dont tank. There was no good reason to cut a guy like Travis if you arent gana sped the money to help you elsewhere.
ryknowssd

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spiel612 wrote:
Edwards knew he had to rebuild in New York after 2005, but he wanted job security and he basically knew he was not going to get it during the Jets rebuilding phase. So instead he went to KC to help rebuild that team which is falling apart.

Pure speculation. Nothing more.

Spiel612 wrote:
When the season begins, 7 of their 11 starting offensive players will be over 30 (all five linemen). On defense, Law, Surtain, and Edwards are all well past their prime and starting still. By the same token Edwards once again brought in James Reed to one of his teams and has the guy starting at DT. Reed is an absolute piece of garbage. He couldn't clog a hole to save his life.

Let's investigate. Here is the age of all of our projected offensive starters

Offensive Line:
LT Damion McIntosh, 30
LG Brian Waters, 30
C Casey Wiegmann, 34
RG John Welbourn, 31
RT Chris Terry, 32

Before we move on to the rest of the starters, I'll elaborate on the offensive line. First, offensive lineman are famous for playing until they are 35 years old, and sometimes longer. Therefore, the only starter that is even close to being considered "old" by NFL OL standards, is Casey Wiegmann, which is soon to be replaced anyway. Aside from that, our O-line isn't exactly young, but in my opinion, I would rather have well seasoned veterans in the trenches anyway...unless their names are Marcus McNeill or D'Brick. Now back to the rest of the offensive starters...

RB Larry Johnson, 27
QB Damon Huard, 34
QB Brodie Croyle, 24
TE Tony Gonzalez, 31
WR Eddie Kennison, 34
WR Dwayne Bowe, 23

Out of those players listed, only Damon Huard and Eddie Kennison can be considered "old" for their positions...and Huard is still a bit of a stretch. Gonzo is still a top 2 TE in the NFL. As for those three guys, we also have very adequate replacements for them on our roster already. For Gonzo, we drafted Kris Wilson a few years ago, and so far, he is looking very promising. For Kennison, we drafted Bowe, and also have Jeff Webb and Chris Hannon. They both have Ty Law and Pat Surtain ranting and raving about them, saying it's really tough to cover them. That's high praise. For Huard? For that, I point to Brodie Croyle. As for Law, Surtain, and Edwards being past their prime, that's debatable. Either way, Edwards is a huge upgrade over Kendrell Bell, and he'll give us great leadership on and off the field. Don't forget about the last 4 or 5 years either, where he led the Chargers in tackles every season. Let's entertain the thought of Law and Surtain being too old to play. We play a cover 2. Therefore, even if both of them have lost a step, it doesn't matter all that much. They read, react, and tackle. The most important attribute in that system is awareness, and they are both more than adequate in that department. As for James Reed? Well, after last year, I agree with you. Keep in mind that we signed him way before the draft, so I have to assume that he was signed as insurance if we weren't able to land a decent DT in FA or the draft. If that's the case, then I'm okay with the signing. We now have Ron Edwards, Tank Tyler, Turk McBride, James Reed, Alphonso Boone, and Jimmy Wilkerson as rotational guys in the middle of the D-line. We'll be fine in that department.

Bednarik60 wrote:
KC should trade him

LJ is not going to win that division. if there going to rebuild REBUILD!!! a 28 year old running back coming off a very large load of career carries who wants huge money , just isnt something you want to rebuild around. KC can hopefully get rid of LJ and land a few nice draft picks save some money, and focus on rebuilding there team. KC needs to be less concerned about there Running game and more concerned about stopping the Broncos and Chargers Running game!

KC LJ for Draft picks Wink

Everyone assumes that we are a rebuilding team, solely based on the fact that we traded a geriatric QB and lost a decending RG to retirement. What many people fail to mention (or even think about) is that Damon Huard threw 11 TDs and 1 INT in the 8 games he played last year, which helped him finish 2nd in the league in passer rating last year behind Peyton Manning. I know what you're thinking..."but he's never started a full season! He's been a career backup!" While that is true, you have to take everything into account. He was a backup because he was stuck behind the likes of Dan Marino, Tom Brady, and Trent Green...who are all pro bowlers, and franchise QBs. One would think that he learned a few things about being a good QB behind those guys, right? Well, based off of his performance last year, I think it's safe to say that learned more than enough to be successful. Once again, I know what you're thinking: "But Herm is going to start Croyle, and he's an injury case! He's too young, and he's going to bomb!" To that, I laugh. Haha...and haha again. Why? Because it's Huard's job to lose. If Croyle is starting come week 1, it's because he out played Huard...and if that's the case, I'm sure there will be a few bumps in the road. I'm not afraid to face the facts. However, if he beats out Huard, then he's doing something right. Now back to the thread topic...

LJ deserves more money than he's getting, and everyone knows that. Heck, if I was him, I would threaten to hold out of camp too! Really, this is a win/win situation for the Chiefs. The reason I say that is because even if he does miss some of training camp, that just means he'll better rested once the season rolls around...plus, Herm will get to see more of what our younger guys can do with some playing time. LJ also has been pouring a lot of his money into his entrepreneurship with Jay-Z in New York. Why is that relevent? Because he doesn't really have enough money to hold out of camp for any longer than a week or two. If he does indeed hold out though, I'll be shell shocked. I personally expect to see news of him signing a long term deal worth about $6M per year, plus bonuses and incentives. That's about what he's worth, and the Chiefs have plenty of cap room to pull it off. I'm predicting that we'll hear about it within the first week and a half of camp. The only way that I could see CP trading away LJ is if Dallas gives up both of their 2008 1st round picks. He just means too much for the entire city of Kansas City, let alone the Chiefs. LJ is the Chiefs' cash cow. He's probably the biggest reason that people will buy tickets this year. If for no other reason, that is why the trade would have to be Ricky Williams-esque. I hope that helps open everyone's eyes a bit to what the big picture is when it comes to the comings and goings of the Chiefs' thought process with this situation. In short, none of us know what will happen with LJ for sure, but I can promise all of you one thing...the Chiefs will end up getting the better end of the deal if he's traded. If he's not traded, then the Chiefs will not "run him into the ground" again this year.

bigschmadt00 wrote:
Oooohhhh YEAHH!!! WOO PIG SOOIE!
Go Bolts

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LJ is the only one on the team this season they can count on

Regular Season: 10 picks (Chargers Record), 3 TDs, 109.88 yard FG return (NFL Record)
Postseason: 2 picks, 1 TD
Pro Bowl: 2 picks (Tie Pro Bowl Record)
limentani39

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shad 56 wrote:

Chargers get:
Packers 2nd

Chiefs get:
Packers 1st
Michael Turner

Packers get:
Larry Johnson

i think that seems like a very logical and fair trade. but i dont know why the cowboys are in need of a rb. their two back system was very effective last year and i dont see why they would bring LJ in to try and make it even better

Dawg24^^
ryknowssd

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

limentani39 wrote:
shad 56 wrote:

Chargers get:
Packers 2nd

Chiefs get:
Packers 1st
Michael Turner

Packers get:
Larry Johnson

i think that seems like a very logical and fair trade. but i dont know why the cowboys are in need of a rb. their two back system was very effective last year and i dont see why they would bring LJ in to try and make it even better

How is that a logical trade? The Packers would essentially be getting LJ for a measly 2nd rounder! Are you saying that the 2nd best RB in the league isn't worth more than that?

bigschmadt00 wrote:
shad 56

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

The Cowboys could trade one of their backs and a pick for LJ ( the Chiefs are going to need a new runner for this season)

Quote:
How is that a logical trade? The Packers would essentially be getting LJ for a measly 2nd rounder! Are you saying that the 2nd best RB in the league isn't worth more than that?

The Packers give up their first and and second. The chiefs get Turner and a first. The Chargers get the second. The Packers get LJ. It's a fair trade all around.
ryknowssd

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shad 56 wrote:
Quote:

The Cowboys could trade one of their backs and a pick for LJ ( the Chiefs are going to need a new runner for this season)

Quote:

The Packers give up their first and and second. The chiefs get Turner and a first. The Chargers get the second. The Packers get LJ. It's a fair trade all around.

Embarassed Right, I saw that! No, really...I did! Hehe...

It's a bit more feasable now.

bigschmadt00 wrote:
thisnamesucks

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i see a lot of you saying how Dallas is the "most logical" place, but i see the exact opposite of that to be true. KC would have absolutely NO power in that trade. they either pay LJ or they don't. if they don't pay him, and Dallas really wanted him, they could sign him next season as an FA. if they do pay him then it's all worked out. what i will say is that Jerry Jones is no fool (anymore). he gave up a ton for one player once and it backfired (Galloway anyone?). if you're the Cowboys, and you really want a new RB, then look at the 2 options and tell me which you reall think is "most logical":

you can trade a 1st, a player, and probably another pick (2nd or 3rd rounder) for a back that will be 28 by the end of the season AND they'll be the ones forking over $40+ mil. with a 20 mil bonus.

OR......you can just use JJ and MB3 this year for CHEAP, get the same production that LJ would get for less than half the $$, and draft a guy next year (of which there are many)

member#1877
Ware:
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thisnamesucks wrote:
i see a lot of you saying how Dallas is the "most logical" place, but i see the exact opposite of that to be true. KC would have absolutely NO power in that trade. they either pay LJ or they don't. if they don't pay him, and Dallas really wanted him, they could sign him next season as an FA. if they do pay him then it's all worked out. what i will say is that Jerry Jones is no fool (anymore). he gave up a ton for one player once and it backfired (Galloway anyone?). if you're the Cowboys, and you really want a new RB, then look at the 2 options and tell me which you reall think is "most logical":

you can trade a 1st, a player, and probably another pick (2nd or 3rd rounder) for a back that will be 28 by the end of the season AND they'll be the ones forking over $40+ mil. with a 20 mil bonus.

OR......you can just use JJ and MB3 this year for CHEAP, get the same production that LJ would get for less than half the $$, and draft a guy next year (of which there are many)

Exactly. With the Cowboys having a potential chance at drafting Darren McFadden, it makes more sense to go after him instead. McFadden will be 20 years old in next year's draft (as opposed to LJ's 2Cool, so they'd basically be getting 8 more years of production from him because he's so much younger. They'd also be getting a RB who hasn't taken nearly the same amount of physical abuse as LJ, and he'd come at the same price.

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
SpacemanSpiff

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, you mention the Chiefs reloading... then why are they starting Brodie Croyle when Huard was the guy who was unseating Trent Green? I'd actually consider the Chiefs a borderline playoff team with Huard at the helm.
NFLoldschool

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go Bolts wrote:
LJ is the only one on the team this season they can count on

And LT is the only player SD can count on too I suppose...such astute comments from our division rivals! How impressive! Instead of just crackling off those weak bolts of static outa your behind like that, you'd better "re-Charge" yourself cuz that's not even close to a decent flame! (LOL!!!)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: