Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Jared Allen's Suspension Reduced
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
K2fromtheU

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:48 pm    Post subject: Jared Allen's Suspension Reduced Reply with quote

Quote:
Jared Allen was planning to treat the first month of the Chiefs’ schedule as the offseason. He was going to head back to Arizona and work out with a trainer much as he did during the spring.

Allen, a starting defensive end, will have to rethink that strategy after learning that the NFL — after hearing his appeal — reduced his season-opening suspension from four games to two.

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/191073.html

Frankly, I'm a little surprised. The league didn't give an explanation for the reduction.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't think they would do that since Goddell seems to be trying a real strict, no nonsense attitude.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

now I'm pretty sure Chambers won't get a suspension.

DEETS on the Masterpiece
BigBen7

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tml_gogo wrote:
I didn't think they would do that since Goddell seems to be trying a real strict, no nonsense attitude.

Then why reduce the suspension?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The guy has two DUI's in a very short period of time and gets 2 games. Odell Thurman missed a drug test, which got him four games, and then got ONE DUI and was out the rest of the season. That hardly seems fair. Odell got the shaft.
textaz03

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigBen7 wrote:
tml_gogo wrote:

Then why reduce the suspension?
From what I have read, it appears that Allen has showed great remorse for his actions and started getting involved in several charities since the incidents. Also he entered a diversion program to resolve the first DUI.

Not sure why NFL changed their stance on him, but I guess they feel that he is trying to change is personal life around with all the community involvement.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2937915

"Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyways" - John Wayne
forty six & 2

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrpotamus wrote:
The guy has two DUI's in a very short period of time and gets 2 games. Odell Thurman missed a drug test, which got him four games, and then got ONE DUI and was out the rest of the season. That hardly seems fair. Odell got the shaft.

Missing a drug test counts as a positive test. To get a suspension, it would have to be his second failed/missed test. Then add on the DUI. Plus, he has a history of problems. http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2005/thurman_odell
Quote:
He was redshirted in 2001, but was kicked off the team by head coach Mark Richt prior top the 2002 season for several infractions.

He attended Georgia Military Academy that year, but also had trouble "adhering" to team rules.

Richt allowed Thurman to rejoin the team in January 2003. In another unrelated incident prior to the 2004 season opener, Richt met with Odell and told him he would be suspended for the first three games of the 2004 season.

Jared Allen hasn't failed a test and his DUI's were before this new tougher conduct policy. He doesn't have a history of problems. I don't think Odell Thurman got the shaft, but I'm curious why Allen's suspension was reduced. 4 games seemed about right.
Rodgers will settle into a 35 TD, 7 INT, 112 QB rating player.
mrpotamus

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

forty six & 2 wrote:
mrpotamus wrote:

Missing a drug test counts as a positive test. To get a suspension, it would have to be his second failed/missed test. Then add on the DUI. Plus, he has a history of problems. http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2005/thurman_odell
Quote:
He was redshirted in 2001, but was kicked off the team by head coach Mark Richt prior top the 2002 season for several infractions.

He attended Georgia Military Academy that year, but also had trouble "adhering" to team rules.

Richt allowed Thurman to rejoin the team in January 2003. In another unrelated incident prior to the 2004 season opener, Richt met with Odell and told him he would be suspended for the first three games of the 2004 season.

Jared Allen hasn't failed a test and his DUI's were before this new tougher conduct policy. He doesn't have a history of problems. I don't think Odell Thurman got the shaft, but I'm curious why Allen's suspension was reduced. 4 games seemed about right.

Thurman was also suspended under the "old policy." His original suspension was given by Tagliabue. I know that a missed test counts as a failed test, and I think that is fair. But at the same time, when you are going to give the guy an extra 12 games for a DUI (the day before Allen's third DUI), you have to be consistent. Odell was in the program for an undisclosed reason. He may have been automatically entered into the drug/alcohol program when he entered the league based on what happened in college, which means that he may have never had a positive test. Plus, I think factoring in what a guy did when he was 18, before his college career took off, is a little excessive. Not to mention, Allen has three DUI's, one in 2002, and two more in the span of four months last year. Giving one guy 2 games for a third DUI, but another guy 16 games for a missed drug test and a first DUI is very incongruous.
Nature

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats pure BS, that charity story is a bunch of bs.. All of it, Allen is the only one getting the benifit of the doubt???!?! okay Goddell go to hell

justwinbaby81 wrote:
(Porter owns Bailey).
39-23 FF pick'em
mrpotamus

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nature wrote:
Thats pure BS, that charity story is a bunch of bs.. All of it, Allen is the only one getting the benifit of the doubt???!?! okay Goddell go to hell

I agree there. Chris Henry is going to be coaching high school football at an inner city school during his suspension, which is a pretty big time commitment. If doing charity work gets your suspension reduced, then it should apply to everybody.

I don't have a problem with the tougher conduct policy, in fact, I like it, but it has to be imposed equally and fairly. If it isn't then it is one big joke.
IrishDolfan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volcom_stone10 wrote:
now I'm pretty sure Chambers won't get a suspension.

I hope your right. However I read today that Chambers passed the breathalyzer. So what on earth was he impaired by????

Irish Dolfan
FF member #1205

Profanity is the one language known by all programmers!
forty six & 2

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrpotamus wrote:
forty six & 2 wrote:
mrpotamus wrote:

Quote:

But at the same time, when you are going to give the guy an extra 12 games for a DUI (the day before Allen's third DUI), you have to be consistent. .

Allen hasn't had three DUI's. There is no way a guy could be suspended less games than number of DUI's. He's had two.
Rodgers will settle into a 35 TD, 7 INT, 112 QB rating player.
mrpotamus

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

forty six & 2 wrote:
mrpotamus wrote:
forty six & 2 wrote:
mrpotamus wrote:

Quote:

But at the same time, when you are going to give the guy an extra 12 games for a DUI (the day before Allen's third DUI), you have to be consistent. .

Allen hasn't had three DUI's. There is no way a guy could be suspended less games than number of DUI's. He's had two.

He received one DUI in 2002 while in college and another two last summer. Like I said, I don't think a guy being a trouble maker in college and being kicked off the team for breaking two rules in college should be considered, but when a guy is arrested for a DUI in college and then does it two more times in the NFL, it should be considered. That is why this is so bogus.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jared_Allen
rebeltitan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just like "Pro footballtalk.com" wrote is it because skin color, because the NFL sure isn't saying why it got reduced. The NFL is a bunch of hypocrites, suspened when the media is hollering, and sit back when the media is not.
Go Bolts

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He is their best defensive player....someone was making some money under the table on this deal.

Regular Season: 10 picks (Chargers Record), 3 TDs, 109.88 yard FG return (NFL Record)
Postseason: 2 picks, 1 TD
Pro Bowl: 2 picks (Tie Pro Bowl Record)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: