Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Jared Allen's Suspension Reduced
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MitchRobStew

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rebeltitan wrote:
Just like "Pro footballtalk.com" wrote is it because skin color, because the NFL sure isn't saying why it got reduced. The NFL is a bunch of hypocrites, suspened when the media is hollering, and sit back when the media is not.

Why do people always have to throw in the racist card on every issue. Its BS. Besides its against forum rules to bring up stuff like that.

Go Bolts wrote:
He is their best defensive player....someone was making some money under the table on this deal.

Yeah I'm sure lets start the NFL conspiracy theory's. Its not like he took roids or anything like that. I think he should have got 4 games but I really doubt someone got some money under the table.
Dnayew Khan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the latest w/ trade rumors? At the beginning of the off season he was demanding a trade.

If I were the GM for any 4-3 team in the league, I'd give up a 1st Rounder for Allen. He's a straight up impact player.

Proud member of Gator Nation!

Less-Proud member of the Dawg Pound...
neutral1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only a few months in and Goodell's PR Stunt / New Policy is already falling apart. There are simply too many incidents with such a wide degree of circumstances to make a consistent policy workable.

Should we start talk of who the next commissioner will be? This guy's not going to last long.
chiefRoyal

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why don't we all open up our minds to the fact that Allen hasn't been in any trouble since he got his second. He has only had two DUI's. Wikipedia is hardly a place to gather info. Maybe Godells intention was to show players that if they can keep the dumb@$$'s out of trouble that he will reward them. What has Mr. Pacman done since his suspension, got in more trouble. Tank, well he was kind of scewed, but that was by the BEARS. It doesn't have anything to do with race. It has to do with owning up to problems and fixing them. As soon as all the other players in the NFL get that then maybe they won't be getting suspended for 8 games to a whole season. I hardly think that you can compare Allen's two DUI's to pac-man being involved in shootings, Chris Henry buying alcohol for under age girls or Odel Thurmon being an idiot by missing his drug test.....that doesn't make you look guilty. Don't get me wrong drinking and driving is dumb as hell, but I believe that this was a move to help other players realize that the comish is not so closed minded. Do right by the NFL and they will take care of you.
THE DUKE

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chiefRoyal wrote:
Why don't we all open up our minds to the fact that Allen hasn't been in any trouble since he got his second. He has only had two DUI's. Wikipedia is hardly a place to gather info. Maybe Godells intention was to show players that if they can keep the dumb@$$'s out of trouble that he will reward them. What has Mr. Pacman done since his suspension, got in more trouble. Tank, well he was kind of scewed, but that was by the BEARS. It doesn't have anything to do with race. It has to do with owning up to problems and fixing them. As soon as all the other players in the NFL get that then maybe they won't be getting suspended for 8 games to a whole season. I hardly think that you can compare Allen's two DUI's to pac-man being involved in shootings, Chris Henry buying alcohol for under age girls or Odel Thurmon being an idiot by missing his drug test.....that doesn't make you look guilty. Don't get me wrong drinking and driving is dumb as hell, but I believe that this was a move to help other players realize that the comish is not so closed minded. Do right by the NFL and they will take care of you.

Chris Henry hasn't been in trouble in a year, and is doing charity work too. No reduced suspension. And drunk drivers kill hundreds if not thousands of people a year. He was caught 2 times in 4 months, and that probably wasn't the only two times he drove drunk either. Someone shouldn't have to die (a la the Leonard Little situation) for DUI's to be taken seriously.

-There are no men like me, only me.
-"Our life is what our thoughts make it" - Marcus Aurelius
Irish 11

Most Valuable Poster

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rebeltitan wrote:
Just like "Pro footballtalk.com" wrote is it because skin color, because the NFL sure isn't saying why it got reduced. The NFL is a bunch of hypocrites, suspened when the media is hollering, and sit back when the media is not.

rebeltitan, you have a Warning. We don't discuss race on these forums.

Quote:
8. You may not discuss race, religion, politics, or sexual-orientation on these forums. This includes references in usernames, signatures, avatars, and PMs
mrpotamus

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chiefRoyal wrote:

Do a little research.

Quote:
t didn't take long before he got arrested after a bar fight. He says he rumbled almost every weekend. The poor schleps who stepped up to him ended up on their backs or in the hospital. He ended up in cuffs. Once for assault. Another time for DUI. Now, Allen knows he should be polite to police officers. But then...

http://isubengals.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/010605aaa.html
ThorntonMelon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

forty six & 2 wrote:
mrpotamus wrote:
The guy has two DUI's in a very short period of time and gets 2 games. Odell Thurman missed a drug test, which got him four games, and then got ONE DUI and was out the rest of the season. That hardly seems fair. Odell got the shaft.

Missing a drug test counts as a positive test. To get a suspension, it would have to be his second failed/missed test. Then add on the DUI. Plus, he has a history of problems. http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2005/thurman_odell
Quote:
He was redshirted in 2001, but was kicked off the team by head coach Mark Richt prior top the 2002 season for several infractions.

He attended Georgia Military Academy that year, but also had trouble "adhering" to team rules.

Richt allowed Thurman to rejoin the team in January 2003. In another unrelated incident prior to the 2004 season opener, Richt met with Odell and told him he would be suspended for the first three games of the 2004 season.

Jared Allen hasn't failed a test and his DUI's were before this new tougher conduct policy. He doesn't have a history of problems. I don't think Odell Thurman got the shaft, but I'm curious why Allen's suspension was reduced. 4 games seemed about right.

Jared Allen doesnt have a history of problems? He was twice arrested for assualt in college, which is more than Odell Thurman ever did in college.
ThorntonMelon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="mrpotamus"]

Quote:
it didn't take long before he got arrested after a bar fight. He says he rumbled almost every weekend. The poor schleps who stepped up to him ended up on their backs or in the hospital. He ended up in cuffs. Once for assault. Another time for DUI. Now, Allen knows he should be polite to police officers. But then...[/quote]

http://isubengals.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/010605aaa.html

That is from a January 2005 article and it refers to a past DUI, so it sounds like Allen has had 3 DUIs. One while in college and 2 while in the NFL.

Also, I'll ask again. Why hasnt Santonio Holmes been suspended? He was arrested twice last summer (domestic violence and disorderly conduct).
ThorntonMelon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chiefRoyal wrote:

Two things:

-It sounds like Allen has had three DUIs, but only 2 while in the NFL.

-Henry didnt buy alcohol for underage girls. He had a party in which an underage girl was drinking. He was never accused or charged of providing her alcohol.
therealdeal

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

textaz03 wrote:
BigBen7 wrote:
tml_gogo wrote:
I didn't think they would do that since Goddell seems to be trying a real strict, no nonsense attitude.

Then why reduce the suspension?
From what I have read, it appears that Allen has showed great remorse for his actions and started getting involved in several charities since the incidents. Also he entered a diversion program to resolve the first DUI.

Not sure why NFL changed their stance on him, but I guess they feel that he is trying to change is personal life around with all the community involvement.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2937915

IMO, thats nothing.. If you get suspended for a certain amount of games and all you have to do is go make it known that you've just got involved in multiple charities and entered a DUI class or whatever, that just makes the nfl more of a joke
BaltimoreTerp

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Jared Allen is getting his suspension reduced, Chris Henry should too. It's as simple as that.

I've been a big fan of Roger Goodell up until the past couple of days, but his decision to reduce Allen's suspension as well as his lack of action in the Vick indictment has me seriously questioning what his initial motives were for suspending Henry and Pacman Jones. It wasn't to give them a due punishment. It was to make an example of them. So Allen showed 'remorse.' A repeat offender like him better damn well show remorse, but it doesn't change the fact that he has some problems. The remorse and charity only comes after he finally had to pay the price for being an idiot, on either 2 or 3 occasions, plus likely several other times that he wasn't caught for.

This is completely mind boggling.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BaltimoreTerp wrote:
If Jared Allen is getting his suspension reduced, Chris Henry should too. It's as simple as that.

I've been a big fan of Roger Goodell up until the past couple of days, but his decision to reduce Allen's suspension as well as his lack of action in the Vick indictment has me seriously questioning what his initial motives were for suspending Henry and Pacman Jones. It wasn't to give them a due punishment. It was to make an example of them. So Allen showed 'remorse.' A repeat offender like him better damn well show remorse, but it doesn't change the fact that he has some problems. The remorse and charity only comes after he finally had to pay the price for being an idiot, on either 2 or 3 occasions, plus likely several other times that he wasn't caught for.

I have to agree here. The other thing that really irks me is that Tank Johnson and Pacman have provisions in their extensions that allow for reductions if they behave. Why doesn't Chris Henry have that? He was suspended three games last season (1 by the Bengals, 2 by the NFL), and now 8 this season, ALL after his last run in with the law. He deserves the suspension, and I am glad about the suspension personally. But, you have to be fair. Chris Henry has done some dumb things, but none of them even come close to what Tank Johnson did and what Pacman "allegedly" did. He did have an unlicensed firearm, which is a big deal, but aside from that, it has been a DUI, a dime bag, and giving a 20 year old girl some beer. That is not worthy of an 8 game suspension, especially when Jared Allen gets two games for TWO DUI's, which is clearly the biggest transgression that Chris Henry committed. There are probably not many among us, at least those of suitable age, who have bought some beer for a friend not yet 21 or had a little grass on them at one point or another, and the same can be said for at least 75% of the general public. It hardly seems right that his suspension is a solid eight games. And hey, he is doing charity work too.
cowboysfan1790

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrpotamus wrote:
BaltimoreTerp wrote:

I have to agree here. The other thing that really irks me is that Tank Johnson and Pacman have provisions in their extensions that allow for reductions if they behave. Why doesn't Chris Henry have that? He was suspended three games last season (1 by the Bengals, 2 by the NFL), and now 8 this season, ALL after his last run in with the law. He deserves the suspension, and I am glad about the suspension personally. But, you have to be fair. Chris Henry has done some dumb things, but none of them even come close to what Tank Johnson did and what Pacman "allegedly" did. He did have an unlicensed firearm, which is a big deal, but aside from that, it has been a DUI, a dime bag, and giving a 20 year old girl some beer. That is not worthy of an 8 game suspension, especially when Jared Allen gets two games for TWO DUI's, which is clearly the biggest transgression that Chris Henry committed. There are probably not many among us, at least those of suitable age, who have bought some beer for a friend not yet 21 or had a little grass on them at one point or another, and the same can be said for at least 75% of the general public. It hardly seems right that his suspension is a solid eight games. And hey, he is doing charity work too.

Henry, unlike Jones, has also stayed out of the public spotlight and to my knowledge hasn't run afoul of the law since his suspension by Goodell. As BTerp stated, Jones and Henry were only suspended to make an example out of them, and the commissioner has certainly dug himself into a hole with his lack of action against Vick, making it appear that if you're a big superstar in this league, he'll let you get your day in court and skate free. Unless he finds a way of changing things around, and soon, I don't see his "reign" as top dog in the NFL going very well.

-Props to OchoCinco for the sig.
Quote:
The Chargers WILL win the Super Bowl this year.

I'm smarter than the average bear!
therealdeal

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Said it before... These big suspensions only come when there is so much media about it.. Thusfar, I've honestly seen more talk about Pacman and Chris Henry before their suspensions came, than im seeing now about Vick.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: