Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Dolphins Terminate Daunte Culpeppers contract
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
VanSlyke18

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JonesDrew32 wrote:
VanSlyke18 wrote:
i'm going to go ahead and call it a wash. One can't throw, the other can't read a defense. meh.

in any case, i'll take Garrard just because he's less prone to game-changing fumbles and seems to have better wheels (which isnt saying much).

i really dont think you have ever seen Byron Leftwich play, the guy can throw better than Garrard can and can actually read defenses unlike Garrard

you obviously didnt read the paragraph i wrote on Garrard, cause he costed us twice last year when he fumbled, one against the Titans late in the season which got returned for a TD, that was a game changer and the one against the Pats in which he fumbled at the end of the game in which we had a chance to march down the field and tie the game up

wrong. i read your paragraph. Leftwich (IN MY OPINION) can't throw -- he can pretend like he knows how to throw a ball in the nfl, but he really cant. Garrard (IN MY OPINION) can't read a defense. but your paragraph is gospel truth right?...

ANYWAY..... is Culpepper really any upgrade over either of these? Not really.... let either Leftwich or Garrard air it out to Randy Moss twice every 4 downs and they'll look like Brett Favre too. besides that, i have a feeling his decision-making ability is severely damaged -- he has a case of the yips.... you can't fix the yips.
JonesDrew32

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VanSlyke18 wrote:
wrong. i read your paragraph. Leftwich (IN MY OPINION) can't throw -- he can pretend like he knows how to throw a ball in the nfl, but he really cant.

if you dont think Leftwich can throw like i said you have never seen Byron Leftwich play, yeah a 60% career completion percentage means he cant throw Rolling Eyes

heres some film for ya back in his days at Marshall, i cant find any of him on youtube of him in a Jags uni

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ppyLiuDlH9w

http://youtube.com/watch?v=-gU9QemAGrY

back onto the subject:

i would love for Culpepper to come to Jacksonville, Garrard was nothing but a real dissapointment last year in the final 3 games of the season in which they matter the most. The guy cant read defenses at all and Culpepper is only a couple year removed from having a career year. Last year was a dissapoinement for him due to the fact the O Line didnt block for him, he was forced to throw the ball before the WR got out of their routes due to the fact that teams were constantly putting pressure in his face. He got sacked 21 times in the 4 games he started with his brief stint with the Dolphins. Behind a good O Line that the Jags have he will get the time he needs to make the throws he wants to. Do i think he will return to his 04 form..... absolutely not, the only thing we would need for him to do would just being capable of winning games if Leftwich went down with an injury which is very likely due to the fact Leftwich has been injured the past 2 seasons.
dolphan9954

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mercury22 wrote:
I hate to disagree with my fellow fin fan, and I have the UT-MOST respect for FINMAN, but I don't think Culpepper looked as lost as stated. He clearly, and without question, was physically impaired, but he still threw 60% completion percentage in an a brand new offense. He also did not hold onto the ball too long, as stated, or at least he didn't do it in all the games. One of our regular posters in the Dolphin Forum re-watched Culpepper tape with a stop watch and found that the majority of the problems were a direct result of the offensive line not giving adequate time for the WR routes to be completed. It was an excellent and in depth study of Culpepper's play. In many cases he wasn't even able to complete his drop before opponents were sacking him. Its important to recall that Miami may have the worst offensive line in all of football. If not THE worst, its certainly in contention and looked particularly bad with Mike Mularkey calling plays that asked WR's to take deep routes. Am I saying Culpepper played well for us? Heck no. But to put the sole blame for Culpepper's poor showing on him is not painting the picture completely accurately.
Culpepper may never regain his old form. I am not here to say he will be a probowler again. His knee injury is a MAJOR question. But his poor performance in Miami certainly was aided by his bum knee, his being rushed back, the horrific line play of our offensive line unit and the play calling of Mike Mularkey. These contributing factors cannot be ignored or overstated.
I believe he will be an adequate signal caller somewhere else IF (please notice the capital IF) he can recover from his knee injury and have a decent supporting cast.

The notion that Randy Moss "made" Culpepper is bunk. Total bunk. They helped make each other as any passing duo does. Randy Moss would not make Ryan Leaf a pro-bowler. Jerry Rice didn't make anyone think Elvis Grbac was another Joe Montana. Culpepper was a stud. He was a shell of what he once was in Miami, for sure, but much of the blame for his poor performances can be laid squarely at the feet of the organization and his teammates.

a few things to add. he wasn't a bad quarterback for us, when it came to throwing passes, I know the TD-INT ratio is important, but throwing that out the door, he had a great completion percentage, and when he didn't look like a deer in the pocket he made some very accurate passer. He seemer more accurate and more comfortable checking down here then in Minnesota. I'll post more later.

Phinisher on the Avatar
MDolphins2399 on the sig

Go Canes
FinMan

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dolphan9954 wrote:
Mercury22 wrote:
I hate to disagree with my fellow fin fan, and I have the UT-MOST respect for FINMAN, but I don't think Culpepper looked as lost as stated. He clearly, and without question, was physically impaired, but he still threw 60% completion percentage in an a brand new offense. He also did not hold onto the ball too long, as stated, or at least he didn't do it in all the games. One of our regular posters in the Dolphin Forum re-watched Culpepper tape with a stop watch and found that the majority of the problems were a direct result of the offensive line not giving adequate time for the WR routes to be completed. It was an excellent and in depth study of Culpepper's play. In many cases he wasn't even able to complete his drop before opponents were sacking him. Its important to recall that Miami may have the worst offensive line in all of football. If not THE worst, its certainly in contention and looked particularly bad with Mike Mularkey calling plays that asked WR's to take deep routes. Am I saying Culpepper played well for us? Heck no. But to put the sole blame for Culpepper's poor showing on him is not painting the picture completely accurately.
Culpepper may never regain his old form. I am not here to say he will be a probowler again. His knee injury is a MAJOR question. But his poor performance in Miami certainly was aided by his bum knee, his being rushed back, the horrific line play of our offensive line unit and the play calling of Mike Mularkey. These contributing factors cannot be ignored or overstated.
I believe he will be an adequate signal caller somewhere else IF (please notice the capital IF) he can recover from his knee injury and have a decent supporting cast.

The notion that Randy Moss "made" Culpepper is bunk. Total bunk. They helped make each other as any passing duo does. Randy Moss would not make Ryan Leaf a pro-bowler. Jerry Rice didn't make anyone think Elvis Grbac was another Joe Montana. Culpepper was a stud. He was a shell of what he once was in Miami, for sure, but much of the blame for his poor performances can be laid squarely at the feet of the organization and his teammates.

a few things to add. he wasn't a bad quarterback for us, when it came to throwing passes, I know the TD-INT ratio is important, but throwing that out the door, he had a great completion percentage, and when he didn't look like a deer in the pocket he made some very accurate passer. He seemer more accurate and more comfortable checking down here then in Minnesota. I'll post more later.

His throwing accuarcy is a little flawed when looking at just the number. Basically, he acheived this 60+% percentage with help from the extremely short passes when it was required to need a downfield pass to get the first AND the idea that instead of throwing the ball away (which is an incredibly underrated quality for quarterbacks) he would take the sack.

He was pretty efficent from the 30 to 30 but the offense (led by him) could NEVER finish. In 3 of Daunte's 4 starts, Culpepper attempted over 30 passes. In those 4 starts he was only able to scrap up 2 touchdowns.

That doesn't scream... effectiveness and efficent.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No surprise. I think his best days are behind him but I am sure he will find some work somewhere in this league.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a related story Daunte said he will now walk all the way to the ocean and make salt in defiance of the salt bans by the government.

-There are no men like me, only me.
-"Our life is what our thoughts make it" - Marcus Aurelius
OttoG-nation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE DUKE wrote:
In a related story Daunte said he will now walk all the way to the ocean and make salt in defiance of the salt bans by the government.

LOL!!!!! If he also offers to cut overhead costs for his new team by weaving his own uniform I'll be concerned.

Thanks for the sig SoxNats07

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: