Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Darius Walker has been released from the Texans..
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dash5

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

K2fromtheU wrote:
Dash5 wrote:
K2fromtheU wrote:
I'm hoping the Browns bring Walker in to compete with Jerome Harrison and Jason Wright. His familiarity with Brady Quinn and his potential as a 3rd down back should warrant a tryout at least.

I wonder why he signed with Houston, given their logjam at RB. You have to think someone else would have given him a look.

O gawd please nooooooooo................

Walker doesn't give us anything different at the RB position than Jason Wright or Jerome Harrison. If we address the RB position again I would much rather wait until next year to either get Michael Turner in FA or get another change of pace RB with some real speed FINALLY.

I'd love to have Michael Turner as much as anyone else. But unfortunately, it is 2007 right now.... not 2008 and Turner is a San Dieso Charger. There aren't a lot of options to improve our RB corps THIS year.

Walker may have a similar running style as Harrison/Wright but that doesn't mean they are better players for the 2007 Browns. Let's let them battle it out in camp.

What is wrong with a little risk free competition at your weakest offensive position? It's not like we're the Jags with MJD, Taylor and Jones. I can't see the harm in giving him a look.

Watching Walker I just don't think he makes our RB corp any better or worse. I just worry that a signing like Walker may stop us from addressing the RB situation again if either Harrison Walker or Wright perform moderately ok. Just like you or any other Browns fan, I just finally want some talent back there and I don't think we have it.

Many think Harrison is the change of pace RB of the future on this team. I just don't think he's got it. I think regardless of whether we sign Walker or not we're going to have to address the RB position again. Hopefully we get a 3rd down back who has the type of speed to get us the quick six from time to time. We certainly lack that right now and Walker certainly wouldn't give us that.
bruschidawg

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really doesnt surprise me that Houston would release him. I don't think they know what a good RB looks like. They use a RB for a game or two and move on. For god's sake...ITS THE LINE!!! Everything comes down to that crappy line. They will not be a good team until they get someone good. Casserly didnt seem to mind that he spent all that $ on Carr and gave him no protection. The QBs and RBs will be unproductive and take beatings till things change. You can't evaluate talent if you don't have time to throw or have no holes to run through.
texansfan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bruschidawg wrote:
It really doesnt surprise me that Houston would release him. I don't think they know what a good RB looks like. They use a RB for a game or two and move on. For god's sake...ITS THE LINE!!! Everything comes down to that crappy line. They will not be a good team until they get someone good. Casserly didnt seem to mind that he spent all that $ on Carr and gave him no protection. The QBs and RBs will be unproductive and take beatings till things change. You can't evaluate talent if you don't have time to throw or have no holes to run through.

Another uneducated post....

First off, the Texans had Dom Davis who was a pretty productive back for a few years. He was running behind one of the worst lines in football those years and was still very productive. So yes, the Texans have had a good running back.

Next, the new coach of Gary Kubiak along with O-coordinator Mike Sherman are instilling a new blocking scheme for the line. Perhaps you didn't notice, but our sack totals were down significantly last year. And that was still with David Carr running out of bounds behind the line, essentially sacking himself on more than one occasion (Just throw away the freakin ball, David). So the protection was better last season, despite injuries to 3 of our starters on the line.

Our running game started to show signs of life last year. And that was DESPITE David Carr, who couldn't throw the ball more than 5 yards accurately (sometimes not even). Now we have brought in Ahman Green, who will be good in a platoon system with Ron Dayne, Samkon Gado, Wali Lundy and Chris Taylor. There really wasn't any room for Darius Walker, who really needed to outperform one of those guys to have a chance at remaining.
Dawgtx

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bruschidawg wrote:

I have to chime in here too, mostly because of the crap our offensive line continues to have piled on them.

I many of the post about Glenn's retirement from Indy, and there was several comments about how Indy does not spend early round draft pick on offensive linemen. And how "they" have been successful at it.

Personally, I don'tknow of any coach that has been more successful at it than Kubiak has been throughout his career with Denver. And I look for it to continue. As a new coach you cannot come in and fire 45 players, and hire 45 of "your" players. It would be nice if it could happen that way....but?!

Last year, there 12 other teams that gave up more sacks than the Texans. Ron Dayne, who is not my RB of choice, had a career year last year. My thinking is, with another year of the zbs under their belts, and a real RB in Ahman Green, you're going to have to find something new to complain about.

As for Walker, I was hoping he would make the team, maybe a 3rd, PS,.......something. I still think he could be an asset to any team that finds themselves in dire RB needs.
Jaytrajik

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you guys handled that well ... no need for me to chime in.

life is one huge game that infinite awareness has with itself
LIEY8

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little off topic, but what ever happened to Domanick (Davis) Williams?

Life Goes On
Jaytrajik

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LIEY8 wrote:
A little off topic, but what ever happened to Domanick (Davis) Williams?

He was due to have another surgery so he got cut.

life is one huge game that infinite awareness has with itself
Purple-Pride07

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stallyns wrote:
Interesting.... I wanted the Colts to sign him after he undrafted to push Dede Dorsey for Addai's backup and with Glenn possibly retiring this would be a good pickup to have an extra backup especially a 3rd down back

Indy sounds like a perfect place for Walker actually...he could provide, not what they lost with Rodes, but he could give them a check down reciever type RB. The closest example would belike Reggie Bush to NO offense or Chester Taylor to the Vikings O.

"When a team outgrows individual performance and learns team confidence, excellence becomes a reality."
--Joe Paterno.
Volcom_stone10

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If i remember correctly, he wanted to get paid like he was drafted in like the fourth round, so he forced his way out of Chicago, or something like that.

thats ridiculous.

but hopefully he sticks somewhere, im sure he'll find AT LEAST a practice squad.

DEETS on the Masterpiece
ColtsFan03

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The guy was so stupid to come out. I know ND lost Quinn, Samardzija, McKnight, and others, but he would have definitely boosted his chance of getting drafted next year. He's pretty small, but is a tough back. Too bad

Thanks JonesDrew32

MY TEAMS
NBA- Pistons
NFL- Colts
NHL- Red Wings
MLB- Tigers
NCAAF- Michigan
RazorbackDT95

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purple-Pride07 wrote:
stallyns wrote:
Interesting.... I wanted the Colts to sign him after he undrafted to push Dede Dorsey for Addai's backup and with Glenn possibly retiring this would be a good pickup to have an extra backup especially a 3rd down back

Indy sounds like a perfect place for Walker actually...he could provide, not what they lost with Rodes, but he could give them a check down reciever type RB. The closest example would belike Reggie Bush to NO offense or Chester Taylor to the Vikings O.

I agree. Indy would be a great fit for him.

Go Bolts wrote:
Leon Hall will be a bust.
Go Bolts

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Texans was a bad fit for Walker. Too many running backs already struggling for a roster spot. The Colts might work better

Regular Season: 10 picks (Chargers Record), 3 TDs, 109.88 yard FG return (NFL Record)
Postseason: 2 picks, 1 TD
Pro Bowl: 2 picks (Tie Pro Bowl Record)
LETSGOBROWNIES

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You kind of have to feel sorry for Darius Walker.

He thought he was making the smart move by leaving. Notre Dame was losing their best O lineman, top 2 receivers and the best qb in school history (statistically speaking of course).

He then goes undrafted, signs as a free agent and gets cut before camp starts.

That's got to suck just a bit.

First Ballot Cleveland Browns Forum Hall of Fame Inductee.
Blaze

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shouldve signed with Chi. Karma is a terrible thing.

TexanNation Roast http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=237149

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: