Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Curtis Martin to officially retire
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
chief_fan822003


Joined: 13 Jan 2007
Posts: 11673
Location: television city
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:30 pm    Post subject: Curtis Martin to officially retire Reply with quote

Curtis Martin to retire

Quote:
Jets running back Curtis Martin, the fourth leading rusher in NFL history who hasn't played since the 2005 season, will make it official this week and announce his retirement from the NFL.


This was expected. The question for him now is which broadcast booth will he be joining?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Night Angel


Joined: 22 Jan 2007
Posts: 7022
Location: Allentown, PA
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im sure it will be tough for him, but he has nothing left to prove to anyone. He has had a great career and a lock for a first ballot HoF induction. One of the most underrated players of all time IMO
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Eagles $5$


Joined: 03 Apr 2007
Posts: 24263
Location: USA
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
This was expected. The question for him now is which broadcast booth will he be joining?

haha.. very true. I guess that what everybody is doing now.
I have always like Curtis Martin, and its kinda sad to see him leave. Crying or Very sad
_________________


TommyC376 on the Sig
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Teh_Eagles_Man


Joined: 20 Jul 2007
Posts: 181
Location: Murda Beach
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Night Angel wrote:
Im sure it will be tough for him, but he has nothing left to prove to anyone. He has had a great career and a lock for a first ballot HoF induction. One of the most underrated players of all time IMO

I agree, he never got enough recognition because he wasn't the flashy guy who broke every record. He went out and performed on a high level consistently, and is overlooked partly because the Jets weren't great.
_________________


Everett Golson QB Myrtle Beach (Class of 2011)
http://thesunnews.typepad.com/preptalk/2007/09/everett-golson-.html
Golson to Penn State
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
greekdrummer


Joined: 02 Jan 2007
Posts: 841
Location: tampa
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Night Angel wrote:
Im sure it will be tough for him, but he has nothing left to prove to anyone. He has had a great career and a lock for a first ballot HoF induction. One of the most underrated players of all time IMO


very well said ^ and i totally agree. martin is great and i respect him very much, the time has come for him to officially end his career.
_________________


Dont hate on ^
Hi Im Cadillac Williams and Im overrated
I H8 ppl who act like mods
Earnest Graham for president
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Nopussycat


Joined: 28 Mar 2007
Posts: 1210
Location: Reno,NV
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I watched him play at Pitt on ESPN, I knew who ever drafted him would have a good player. When Bill Parcells drafted him, I knew he could be great. I don't know if he still holds it but he had the NFL record for most carries per game. He was truly underrated and I'm disappointed he never won a Superbowl.
_________________


Sig by Spartan4Life

The Lions can't suck forever,right?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Spiel612


Most Valuable Poster (7th Ballot)

Joined: 19 Oct 2005
Posts: 15748
Location: Around Highway 61
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teh_Eagles_Man wrote:
Night Angel wrote:
Im sure it will be tough for him, but he has nothing left to prove to anyone. He has had a great career and a lock for a first ballot HoF induction. One of the most underrated players of all time IMO

I agree, he never got enough recognition because he wasn't the flashy guy who broke every record. He went out and performed on a high level consistently, and is overlooked partly because the Jets weren't great.


It's not because they weren't great (maybe not great, but at least consistently good). It's because they were boring. Plain and simple. The last 10 years have been immensely successful for the Jets. Since 1997 they've had only two losing seasons (both under Herm Edwards). They've made the playoffs five times and have appeared in 8 playoff games total, going 3-5. The reason Martin didn't get the recognition he deserved was because he wasn't flashy, he was soft-spoken, and the Jets offense was really dull until last year.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Woz


Moderator
Joined: 10 Mar 2006
Posts: 20880
Location: in a land where the furniture folds to a much smaller size
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spiel612 wrote:
Teh_Eagles_Man wrote:
Night Angel wrote:
Im sure it will be tough for him, but he has nothing left to prove to anyone. He has had a great career and a lock for a first ballot HoF induction. One of the most underrated players of all time IMO

I agree, he never got enough recognition because he wasn't the flashy guy who broke every record. He went out and performed on a high level consistently, and is overlooked partly because the Jets weren't great.


It's not because they weren't great (maybe not great, but at least consistently good). It's because they were boring. Plain and simple. The last 10 years have been immensely successful for the Jets. Since 1997 they've had only two losing seasons (both under Herm Edwards). They've made the playoffs five times and have appeared in 8 playoff games total, going 3-5. The reason Martin didn't get the recognition he deserved was because he wasn't flashy, he was soft-spoken, and the Jets offense was really dull until last year.


Take that last sentence and replace Martin it with "Art Monk" and I'll say that you will not see Curtis Martin in the Hall of Fame for quite some time, especially consider that Monk's Redskins were significantly more accomplished than Martin's Jets.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Night Angel


Joined: 22 Jan 2007
Posts: 7022
Location: Allentown, PA
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woz wrote:
Spiel612 wrote:
Teh_Eagles_Man wrote:
Night Angel wrote:
Im sure it will be tough for him, but he has nothing left to prove to anyone. He has had a great career and a lock for a first ballot HoF induction. One of the most underrated players of all time IMO

I agree, he never got enough recognition because he wasn't the flashy guy who broke every record. He went out and performed on a high level consistently, and is overlooked partly because the Jets weren't great.


It's not because they weren't great (maybe not great, but at least consistently good). It's because they were boring. Plain and simple. The last 10 years have been immensely successful for the Jets. Since 1997 they've had only two losing seasons (both under Herm Edwards). They've made the playoffs five times and have appeared in 8 playoff games total, going 3-5. The reason Martin didn't get the recognition he deserved was because he wasn't flashy, he was soft-spoken, and the Jets offense was really dull until last year.


Take that last sentence and replace Martin it with "Art Monk" and I'll say that you will not see Curtis Martin in the Hall of Fame for quite some time, especially consider that Monk's Redskins were significantly more accomplished than Martin's Jets.


Marvin Harrison is also soft spoken, but I would be surprised to see anyone argue that he is likely to be a hall of fame member in his first attempt. Art Monk was a very good WR, but didnt put up record numbers, which hurts his status a little. Martin has the 4th most rushing yards of all time, he will most likely, IMO, be in first try. Not to mention that him being soft spoken may help him as he played in an era where players are always making fools of themselves. Martin looks more like a professional than most players in todays game. That appeals a lot to HoF voters.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
jagz4life


Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

Joined: 01 Mar 2005
Posts: 35586
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow... really? He doesn't want to sit on the roster for a few more years? lol Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
greekdrummer


Joined: 02 Jan 2007
Posts: 841
Location: tampa
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nopussycat wrote:
When I watched him play at Pitt on ESPN, I knew who ever drafted him would have a good player. When Bill Parcells drafted him, I knew he could be great. I don't know if he still holds it but he had the NFL record for most carries per game. He was truly underrated and I'm disappointed he never won a Superbowl.


aww gee he never won a superbowl!!! i never realized it. i feel terrible for the guy. he was great
_________________


Dont hate on ^
Hi Im Cadillac Williams and Im overrated
I H8 ppl who act like mods
Earnest Graham for president
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
greekdrummer


Joined: 02 Jan 2007
Posts: 841
Location: tampa
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dan buenning
_________________


Dont hate on ^
Hi Im Cadillac Williams and Im overrated
I H8 ppl who act like mods
Earnest Graham for president
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Go Bolts


Joined: 14 Mar 2007
Posts: 3481
Location: San Diego
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No cartilage in the knees...but he will have a place in the HoF...he posted some impressive numbers.
_________________


Regular Season: 10 picks (Chargers Record), 3 TDs, 109.88 yard FG return (NFL Record)
Postseason: 2 picks, 1 TD
Pro Bowl: 2 picks (Tie Pro Bowl Record)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Woz


Moderator
Joined: 10 Mar 2006
Posts: 20880
Location: in a land where the furniture folds to a much smaller size
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Night Angel wrote:
Woz wrote:
Spiel612 wrote:
Teh_Eagles_Man wrote:
Night Angel wrote:
Im sure it will be tough for him, but he has nothing left to prove to anyone. He has had a great career and a lock for a first ballot HoF induction. One of the most underrated players of all time IMO

I agree, he never got enough recognition because he wasn't the flashy guy who broke every record. He went out and performed on a high level consistently, and is overlooked partly because the Jets weren't great.


It's not because they weren't great (maybe not great, but at least consistently good). It's because they were boring. Plain and simple. The last 10 years have been immensely successful for the Jets. Since 1997 they've had only two losing seasons (both under Herm Edwards). They've made the playoffs five times and have appeared in 8 playoff games total, going 3-5. The reason Martin didn't get the recognition he deserved was because he wasn't flashy, he was soft-spoken, and the Jets offense was really dull until last year.


Take that last sentence and replace Martin it with "Art Monk" and I'll say that you will not see Curtis Martin in the Hall of Fame for quite some time, especially consider that Monk's Redskins were significantly more accomplished than Martin's Jets.


Marvin Harrison is also soft spoken, but I would be surprised to see anyone argue that he is likely to be a hall of fame member in his first attempt. Art Monk was a very good WR, but didnt put up record numbers, which hurts his status a little. Martin has the 4th most rushing yards of all time, he will most likely, IMO, be in first try.


Let's talk stats and record for a bit:

940 receptions (6th all time, was all-time leader for three years before Jerry Rice broke it at the end of the '95 season), 12721 yards (11th all time), 68 TDs, 13.5 YPC (Harrison currently has a 13.4 career YPC, on a much more pass friendly team than the one Monk played on (more on that below))

Those are some blah numbers, Woz

1984: Monk shatters the single season reception by catches 106 balls (previous record is 92 by Todd Christensen in 1983); not broken until 1992 by Shannon Sharpe (108), only person to break 100 prior to Jerry Rice in 1990.

183 consecutive games with at least one reception, third all time, behind Jerry Rice (274) and Marvin Harrison (184, who just broke Monk's total in the Super Bowl)

Four WRs selected to 1980s All-Decade Team
Steve Largent (HoF-1995 (1st ballot))
James Lofton (HoF-2003 (3rd ballot))
Jerry Rice (likely 1st ballot in 2010)
Art Monk ... seven time finalist ?

Consistent, but not flashy enough

The 1980s Washington Redskins were a power running team. During Joe Gibbs first coaching tenure (1981-1992), the Washington Redskins placed in the Top 10 in rushing attempts nine times, and Top 5 six times. Comparatively, they broke Top 10 passing attempts only four times with only two in the Top 5. The also were in the bottom half of the league in pass attempts (15 and below (28 teams in NFL during this period)) six times, and in the bottom quartile (21 and below) three times. 1988 is the only season that the Redskins had a 15 and below ranking for rushing attempts (24th) and I believe that was due to injuries.

In short, they did not pass all that much, but focused on the Hogs and their running-backs to grind out yards.

From a team that won three Super Bowls with three separate quarterbacks in little over a decade, played in a fourth, and made the playoffs 8 times in 11 years, there are only two Hall of Famers: John Riggins and Joe Gibbs. Russ Grimm (3-time finalist), Art Monk (7-time finalist), Joe Jacoby (never a finalist), and all the other Redskins of that era ... nope.

But he just doesn't have the stats.

Quote:
Not to mention that him being soft spoken may help him as he played in an era where players are always making fools of themselves. Martin looks more like a professional than most players in todays game. That appeals a lot to HoF voters.


Art Monk was possibly the most professional, soft spoken, non self-aggrandizing players to play. The guy only celebrated when the team won, he down played his own ability and records (part of the reason he only went to the Pro Bowl 3 times ... he had stats good enough to go six or seven times, but didn't promote himself, just did his job). I met him on a couple of occasions; he shied away from the limelight. A complete gentleman though, who was willing to sign an annoying 11 year old's autograph book.

Art Monk wrote:
A lot of guys have it backwards. They want to do well and hope their team does well. I believed if the team did well, the individual things would take care of themselves.



EDIT: I don't want this to sound like I believe that Curtis Martin or Marvin Harrison should not be inducted into the Hall of Fame when they become eligible. I just wanted to point out that the "not promoting oneself" can be a liability and not a benefit. I suspect Harrison does not have a problem since he was part of the Manning-Harrison connection; Martin, however, might have some troubles. That being said, I do not know of a guy like Peter King or Paul Zimmerman actively campaigning to not include Curtis Martin, like Monk has faced.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Spiel612


Most Valuable Poster (7th Ballot)

Joined: 19 Oct 2005
Posts: 15748
Location: Around Highway 61
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now this is just my ignorance of 80's football, but why does Peter King actively campaign against Art Monk?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group