Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Broncos Ink Rice
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RamRod

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No surprise here.

The only teams interested were the Rams and Broncos and if he left St. Louis without signing a contract where did you think he was going to go.
Broncos Dynasty

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boltstrikes wrote:
I definately don't see Rice as being the long term solution in Denver. He'll play well this year and give the Broncos value.

Of course when you've got Bly and Bailey behind you, the defensive line doesn't have to be great.

Of course not, he's 33 and signed a one-year deal. That's why we used our 1st and 2nd round picks (Moss and Crowder) on DEs.

I really hope he can make an impact this year, and maybe show the rooks a few things.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dtwizzy2k5 wrote:
wow the broncos have soooo many mediocre d-linemen now Very Happy

Sounds like SOUR GRAPES to me !!! He probably will be here until Moss and Crowder develop. He'll probably split time with Moss and Dumerville, I don't expect Rice to be a 3-down player
Pistol_Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a great signing. Anybody saying differently is just hating on the Broncos. He'll provide the pass-rush off the edge and allow Jarvis to get stronger and be groomed to be a starter next year. You can never have too many pass-rushers or too much D-line depth.

And LOL @ the Lambs fan saying we have so many mediocre D-linemen. Sounds like sour grapes about the Lambs' failure to acquire Rice to me. Besides, St. Louis' D-line is hardly the old "fearsome foursome."
Rays_Peeps34

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

decent signing. could be a great mentor to Jarvis Moss,Elvis Dummerville,and Tim Crowder

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was a good pickup for the Broncos. They have some young lineman that now have more time to learn. That's why I was disappointed Tampa cut him, I still don't get that. He actually opened the door a hair to coming back if Denver didn't work out. Too bad.
broncosfan_101

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dtwizzy2k5 wrote:
wow the broncos have soooo many mediocre d-linemen now Very Happy

I sort of agree with this. We have a bunch of young kids (Dumervil, Moss, Crowder, Thomas) who have miles of potential, but aren't great yet. And we have a few vets (Rice, Adams, Engelberger) whose best years are behind them, but could still be very good players.

So I think mediocre probably isn't the right term. I prefer "boom-or-bust".
AnAngryAmerican

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thesickness89 wrote:
he is what i call a progress stopper.
yeah he might help a lil but could slow down some of your other 12 DTs and DES

We currently have 9 DLs on the roster and one might be cut and replaced by Rice. So at most we carry 10 DLs. Wink

Obviously Rice is past his prime and this is not a long-term solution for the DL - we're hoping we drafted the long term solution in Dumervil, Moss, Crowder and Thomas- but there is no doubt in my mind he can make a positive impact in Denver. He should, at the very least, prove a positive influence on the young DL and bring some leadership and a veteran presence we lost when we released Al Wilson.

It would be crazy to think this move in some way "puts us over the top," or something to that effect. Rice is not the 15-sack/season monster he was in his Tampa Bay prime. We have an interesting mix of youngsters still learning the position and vets past their prime. Like 101 said, it's a boom-or-bust situation.

Broncos CSU Rams Rockies Tiger Woods
jagz4life

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow... now this is nice. A big addition to their line, great job by the Broncos.
BucZ-R-BaLLiN

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncos67 wrote:
I'm pumped about this. He got hurt last year, sure, but having one of the best sack artists of all time on your team helps the rookies tremendously. Rice, Moss, Crowder, Dumervil is going to be nasty on passing downs. Crowder, Engleberger and Rice have the run stopping ability, and Moss has shown potential there too. Now if the DT position stays fine, we could be in a good position.

i just about fell off my chair when i heard this.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BucZ-R-BaLLiN wrote:
broncos67 wrote:
I'm pumped about this. He got hurt last year, sure, but having one of the best sack artists of all time on your team helps the rookies tremendously. Rice, Moss, Crowder, Dumervil is going to be nasty on passing downs. Crowder, Engleberger and Rice have the run stopping ability, and Moss has shown potential there too. Now if the DT position stays fine, we could be in a good position.

I was comparing his ability to that of the other DL on our team. I know he isn't an incredible run stopper, but it is safe to say that he will be one of the better DEs on our team at stopping the run. Trust me, in no way am I saying that Rice is a premier run stopping DE, but at this point, he is better than Moss.

Thanks, Tzimisce
91jmay

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncos67 wrote:

Wow, just no.
i think this is an ok pick up for the broncos, but im not to scared.

He's going to last until the 20's, quote that.

On Bridgewater.
Kevin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BucZ-R-BaLLiN wrote:

Before you fall out of your chair, you need to remove your second signature. Here at Football's Future, only one signature is allowed. Occasionally, when these rules are not adhered to posters lose their privilege to have them.
Thanks to Reggie Neson#1 for the avatar and jonnyj20 for the sig.
broncos67

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

91jmay wrote:
broncos67 wrote:

Wow, just no.
i think this is an ok pick up for the broncos, but im not to scared.

Read my post above. I didn't mean that Rice was this premier run stopping DE, but on our roster right now, he is one of the better ones we have. It's sad yes, but he's better than Dumervil and Moss.

Thanks, Tzimisce
Zukhyubern

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

id actually say dumervil is the better run defender than rice, and crowder is better than both of them

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: