Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Lions sign Buster Davis
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RyanFuller003

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They had cut Johnny Baldwin a few days ago (their 5th round pick). They wanted to sign him to the practice squad, but he didn't clear waivers and Kansas City picked him up. Therefore, they picked up Davis instead.

They wanted to get Baldwin back but couldn't. Davis is a consolation prize. Baldwin is a little small for a linebacker--albeit not nearly as undersized as little Davis is--but he's a very good athlete and I would have liked to see if Joe Barry could develop him into a good linebacker. Hopefully he can work on Davis as well, but he doesn't really fit the mold of the speedy, coverage-type linebacker Detroit needs.

MrDrew wrote:
I may have to find a taxidermist that will make me a koozie out of a squirrel in a kilt now.

Adopt-a-Lion: Don Muhlbach (for four years running!)
holt_bruce81

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i hope it works out for Buster
khodder

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BZski wrote:
Yeah so bad that the cardinals tried to sign him to there PS. I think he just did not fit in the 3-4 defense that the cards run and he knew this. He was one of the hardest workers at the senior bowl and that has never been a question about him. The gained weight could have to do with the fact that playing inside in the 3-4 you have to be heavy. This is a steal for the Lions in my opinion. He will be comfortable playing alongside of Sims and is a better fit in the 4-3 defense and the cover 2.

We wanted him on the PS to see if we could kick his But into gear get him working hard. He is 240 and fat. He needs to drop 20 pounds of fat and put on 20 pounds of muscle then he might succeed.

The Cards are NOT, I repeats NOT, once more NOT running the 3-4 as their base defence this year. 3-4 looks will be shown but we are still a 4-3 D.

Conductor of the Keith Wenning bandwagon.
Zach Hodges is a 1st Round Pick in 2015.
Blaze

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He was smart not to sign to the Arizona PS.

TexanNation Roast http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=237149
stchamp98

Most Valuable Poster (3rd Ballot)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Responses:

bzski-
Your a prime example of someone who doesn't watch the games and simply reads what the general public writes. He doesn't fit the 3-4?? Well bud, tell me, how many times did you see us run the 3-4 defense??? If you had watched the games you'd know it was for simply a handful of plays if that(and none after the first preseason game. With the injury of weakside linebacker Chike Okeafor the coaching staff has been running predominantly 4-3 sets, probably 90% of the time). Buster Dabis didn't fail in just the 3-4 defense, he failed in every defensive scheme we attempted to run which is why he couldn't make the roster as a linebacker for a team with major linebacker issues.

irishdolphan-
Your not too bright. Whis promised to carry the best 53 players and he's certainly held up to his word. The only sour grapes I'm tasting is the fact that one of my favorite college football players has fallen very short of my expectations.

therealdeal-

Your absolutely right, smaller and slower players have played in this league and played well due in main part because of their intense work ethic and positive attidtudes, two traits Buster Davis definitely didn't show in his time here. I also addressed that in my first post saying and I quote, "In short, he's too small and too slow to play NFL football and his work ethic(or lack thereof) certainly didn't make up for that"

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good pickup for the Lions

w4rrior723 on the beast ^
khodder

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blaze wrote:

So he is smart for leaving the AZ PS, to sign on with the Lions PS. I don;t see a huge differance. He is still on the PS.

I don;t care much that he has gone, I was shocked that he was cut thought we might have given him a shot but he was cut because he wasn't performing at all. He was out performed by 2 UDFA's.

Conductor of the Keith Wenning bandwagon.
Zach Hodges is a 1st Round Pick in 2015.
Zukhyubern

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

college performance and draft position doesn't mean crap if you don't perform. I really liked Davis, but it's looking like he's already a bust
Blaze

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

khodder wrote:
Blaze wrote:

So he is smart for leaving the AZ PS, to sign on with the Lions PS. I don;t see a huge differance. He is still on the PS.

I don;t care much that he has gone, I was shocked that he was cut thought we might have given him a shot but he was cut because he wasn't performing at all. He was out performed by 2 UDFA's.
i didnt know he was signed to the ps squad but it still may be a better situation for him to play quicker with how the injuries pile on the Lions.

TexanNation Roast http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=237149
BoYz2tHeBoWl

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#1CARDSFAN wrote:
IrishDolfan wrote:
stchamp98 wrote:
I am quite possibly the biggest Buster Davis fan on this board(believe me) and even I must say that this move isn't nearly what people are going to make it out to be. For starters, Davis is out of shape, at least 15 pounds overweight, was extremely slow in timed runs and in games, showed little work ethic, seemed allergic to making tackles, refused to take on blockers and played coverage as well as a small child. In short, he's too small and too slow to play NFL football and his work ethic(or lack thereof) certainly didn't make up for that. I loved the Buster Davis I watched play at Florida State but if anyone here, Lions fan or not, thinks that that's the man the Lions are getting that person is sorely mistaken.

them grapes sour enough for you?? Wink

Irish Dolfan

When someone tells the truth it doesn't smell like sour grapes.

You're knocking him for being 15 pounds overweight? What do you think a rookie LB who's only 5'9 or is going to do when he's playing out of position in a 3-4? Laughing

Also, Davis was never never known to have a bad work ethic or not be agressive. Those were two of his biggest strengths coming out.

NFL Draft Scout wrote:
As Davis himself said on draft day, "I'm three inches from being a first-rounder." And that may well be true. No one doubts his football instincts, competitive drive or athleticism.What is in question is whether he is tall enough to get a good read on what's going on ahim on a field full of pro-size players.

Football's Future wrote:
Buster Davis is a very aggressive and instinctive linebacker. On every snap, he is looking to knock down as many opponents as possible, and fly to the football. He quickly diagnoses the play, and explodes to the action. With his quickness and instincts, Davis is always around the ball. He is the type of player that you try to stay away from on every play, and you know when he hits you.

A system change was inevitable at 5'9, but in a 4-3 he won't have to take on 300+ pound LBs on a consistent basis. Detroit is a good place for him to be as Sims and him already have chemistry and if he sheds the weight he put on in Arizona he should be fine.

Dallas94Ware wrote:
Perhaps it's your assessment is the one that is a knock on your ability to assess a football game.
#1CARDSFAN

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We run the 4-3. What do you mean?
BZski

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#1CARDSFAN wrote:
We run the 4-3. What do you mean?

You run a hybrid 4-3 defense with alot of 3-4 sets. I think the Cards just drafted someone that didnt fit there system and Davis knew this. He fits alot better in the Tampa2 defense behind 2 solid DT's in Rogers and Redding.
wstussyb

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They should convert him to SS, FS or CB .... thats where we need the most help on Rolling Eyes
shawn

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm not going to get involved in any of the arguments going on about the situation, all i'm going to say is i was mad about buster being cut, and i still am mad. but it's over and done, and i wish him the best as a lion.

sig made by mike23md

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: