Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Tiki: I'd still be playing if not for Coughlin
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jagz4life

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:42 am    Post subject: Tiki: I'd still be playing if not for Coughlin Reply with quote

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3003699

The saga continues...
LIEY8

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeez, I used to have some respect for Tiki before all of this crap started.

He's just making excuses to keep himself looking like the good guy here. If my memory serves correct, he quit during the middle of last season when Coughlin was on the hot seat and nobody knew if he would come back for this season. He also said that his body couldn't take the abuse it was getting from playing football.

I've lost all respect I had for Barber. You don't have to belittle other people for a decision you made yourself.

Life Goes On
IrishDolfan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He is just doing what his new bosses want him to do. Stir up trouble to make news stories.

Irish Dolfan
FF member #1205

Profanity is the one language known by all programmers!
jackbauer24

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tiki needs to shut up.
GEE MEN

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Tiki: I'd still be playing if not for Coughlin Reply with quote

jagz4life wrote:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3003699

The saga continues...

He's a jerk. Many outside of Giants nation didn't realize Attim Kiambu was the biggest poison pill in the lockerroom. They will be a better "team" without him.

Desperado82 wrote:
I will never defend Romo again. I'm done. We may only have a shot at the playoffs or what have you because of him, but he will NEVER put us over the hump.
captainhags

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. I have never been a huge Tiki fan but come on.

He starts this whole thing last season with his retirement announcements mid-season. That really bothered me because it seemed like he took no responsibility for messing with the team chemistry.

Then a couple weeks ago he craps on Eli regarding his leadership. Tiki, mind your own business. You left the Giants, they are Eli's team. I know Tiki is a member of the media and its his job to comment but jeez, do it with some class. Trashing former teammates who have never made negative comments is just a lame move.

And finally this. Like above, you left the team. Thats the bottom line. Regardless of the reasoning the Giants are a team without Tiki and the last thing they need is him airing all their dirty laundry, they have enough problems within the organization.

BTW, I am not an Eli, Coughlin or Giants fan in general. I just think Tiki is being a little ----- and he needs to either respect his former teammates or keep his mouth shut.
Night Angel

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jackbauer24 wrote:
tiki needs to shut up.

Seriously, he does. What is the point of constantly bashing his old team. He is asked the question once, answer it honestly, fine, whatever. But then drop it. You are in broadcasting now. Trashing him like a spoiled kid in the media isnt going to get him out of there any sooner. Just shut up and report on something other than yourself.
Mercury22

Most Valuable Poster (1st Ballot)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I am shocked at all the Tiki Hate. Tom Coughlin has long been known as the harshest task master in the NFL and has been despised by his players since he stepped foot on the gridiron. He fines players if they are not EARLY to meetings. Yes, thats right, if you have a meeting at 5pm, you are considered late if you are not early. At one point, when he coached Jacksonville, players were not allowed to take helmets off on the sidelines. Tiki is simply saying what players have wanted to say for over a decade. Stahan apparently feels the same way about Coughlin by not showing up. Plaxico and Shockey both called Coughlin out last year. Where is the hate for those guys? And why does Coughlin get a pass?
Night Angel

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mercury22 wrote:
Wow, I am shocked at all the Tiki Hate. Tom Coughlin has long been known as the harshest task master in the NFL and has been despised by his players since he stepped foot on the gridiron. He fines players if they are not EARLY to meetings. Yes, thats right, if you have a meeting at 5pm, you are considered late if you are not early. At one point, when he coached Jacksonville, players were not allowed to take helmets off on the sidelines. Tiki is simply saying what players have wanted to say for over a decade. Stahan apparently feels the same way about Coughlin by not showing up. Plaxico and Shockey both called Coughlin out last year. Where is the hate for those guys? And why does Coughlin get a pass?

I think the hate is coming from the repeated attacks by Tiki. This is far from the first time that Tiki has come out and attacked Coughlin. Ok Tiki, we get it, you dont like him. He already made known before this that he probably would still be playing if not for Coughlin. That was his decision. There is no need to keep going after a former coach. Saying it once, cool, saying it over and over again seems childish. It really sounds to me like he regrets retiring and hoping that if the Giants fire him, he can come back.
GEE MEN

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Night Angel wrote:
Mercury22 wrote:

I think the hate is coming from the repeated attacks by Tiki. This is far from the first time that Tiki has come out and attacked Coughlin. Ok Tiki, we get it, you dont like him. He already made known before this that he probably would still be playing if not for Coughlin. That was his decision. There is no need to keep going after a former coach. Saying it once, cool, saying it over and over again seems childish. It really sounds to me like he regrets retiring and hoping that if the Giants fire him, he can come back.

Exactly. It's bush league. Attim's problem is that he offers little substance and if that's the reason why he got the gig, he's not going to be there long bc that stuff gets tired fast.

Desperado82 wrote:
I will never defend Romo again. I'm done. We may only have a shot at the playoffs or what have you because of him, but he will NEVER put us over the hump.

Last edited by GEE MEN on Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:38 am; edited 1 time in total
LIEY8

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mercury22 wrote:

Like Night Angel said, Tiki just keeps bashing his former teammates/coaches to make himself sound like the guy that didn't do anything wrong.

Coughlin was his coach. If you want to play, you need to follow the coach's guidelines. If you don't like your coach, you don't have to publicly come out and start bashing him and blaming everything you did wrong on him. When Parcells was in Dallas, how many players publicly came out time after time and belittled him? Zero.

Coughlin isn't doing anything wrong in New York in terms of conduct policy. He's not breaking any NFL rules as far as the public knows. That being said, the players should follow any rules Coughlin has set out for them without the constant complaining.

Life Goes On
Mercury22

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^I understand your point, but I suspect Tiki believes he is doing this for the good of his former teammates who probably all hate their boss.

I once worked at a record store, where the boss was a total and complete (insert bad word of your choice). She was unbearable. She yelled at even the best employees and made life a living hell. As a result I quit, when I did I wrote a nice little letter to the corporate office letting them know how abusive the boss was. In my case, they investigated, fired the boss and hired me back with a raise and a promotion. I don't suspect that Tiki is hoping to come back to the Giants, but I do suspect he is trying to get Coughlin fired and rescue his former teammates.

Grown men that do their jobs don't deserve to be constantly berated and harrassed by their boss. I don't blame Tiki one bit, and if you've followed Coughlin's career at all, you'd know that players have wanted to choke him out for a long, long time. Barber is the first to truly take him on.
Night Angel

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merc, I hear what you are saying and I agree that it is a possibility that what you are saying is what his goal is. I cant say definately not as we just dont know. And that is why I supported Tiki, to an extent, when he ripped Coughlin the first time. But Tiki needs to realize that the powers that be heard him the first time and they made their decisions on what they were going to do at that time. Constantly ripping the coach over and over again, especially when you arent on the team anymore, isnt doing anything new, except put your name back in the media. The powers that be arent hearing anything new. If they were going to make a decision based on what Tiki said before, they would have already made that decision.

Plus, the way you handled your situation is the proper way. If you have an issue with a boss / former boss, write a letter to the powers that be. Dont go and run to the press and trash the person, you handle it privately. That is what Tiki should have done if he was trying to do what was in the best interest of the team. Making a specticle of this is just going to help create an even larger rift between the players and coach which does nothing except set everyone up to fail.

Finally, I do question his motives of doing this for his teammate since Tiki went after their future QB and tried to make a joke out of him. Saying how he isnt a leader and how over-rated he is and all. If he is doing this for the players, he shouldnt be attacking the leading players of the team. Unless Tiki is trying to save the team from the coaching staff and the offensive leader.
Mercury22

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^ Well said, NightAngel. I don't necessarily disagree that Tiki may be carrying this grudge a little far. However, he is being paid for opinion, and his opinion on Coughlin is clearly quite strong. And somewhat rightfully so. Barber says he still had a desire to play, just not for Coughlin. If you recall, last season, Shockey claimed in an post game interview that "we were simply outcoached". Plaxico also had several choice words for Coughlin in the press. Strahan took his battle public as well. Bottom line, the team leaders clearly feel hamstrung and believe the only place to air grievences is in the press.

As to the issue with Eli Manning, while I happen to agree with you that calling out the teams QB isn't generally a wise move, however I can also add that I saw more fire from Eli in his response to Tiki than I have ever seen from him on the field.

Personally, I'll be happy when Coughlin is out of the NFL. I have no problems with coaches that push players to be the best they can be, but guys that get consumed with their power and believe they have a right to treat grown men like children generally don't get results and set teams back over the long haul. Coughlin is the last guy in the league I would want to play for and my feeling is the emphasis of the discussion ought to be on how far a coach has the right to push and berate a player, not on how much a player ought to have the right to voice his frustration regarding that abuse.
Eagles $5$

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jackbauer24 wrote:
tiki needs to shut up.

I agree, he needs to understand nobody is really missing him in NFL anymore. (Well maybe the Giants, but even they have moved on... and thats what Tiki needs to do)

TommyC376 on the Sig

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: