Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Tiki: I'd still be playing if not for Coughlin
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Night Angel


Joined: 22 Jan 2007
Posts: 7022
Location: Allentown, PA
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear ya man and by no means am I trying to defend Coughlin as I think he is a horrible coach. He lost control of his team and has never really gotten it back. I agree that the entire team hates him, but they Giants players are under contract and still need to follow Coughlin, no matter how much they dont want to. They can always quit like Tiki did. And I agree that the brass isnt really listening to the players as they havent seemed to do much in the way of stepping in and fixing the problem. Obviously we dont know what is going on behind the scenes and how the players, coaches and owners are handling the obvious issues behind the closed doors, but I gotta say I was baffled when I heard the news that the brass of the organization re-signed Coughlin to a longer contract. I would have thought they would have cut ties and started over. So it sounds like there is a growing rift between the players and the organization already. Tiki just doesnt seem to be helping the situation much though. Only time will tell for sure.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
gibbythemute


Joined: 11 Mar 2007
Posts: 10879
Location: BGKY
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IrishDolfan wrote:
He is just doing what his new bosses want him to do. Stir up trouble to make news stories.

Irish Dolfan


Spot on.
_________________

titansNvolsR#1 wrote:
I'm scared. We've poked the beast and He's now arose.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
South_FL_cowboy


Joined: 30 Mar 2007
Posts: 95
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry, I dont get all the Tiki hate... The guy is doing what many people do when they dont like their boss, and thats quit and move on to other things. Confused

I hated Tiki when he played but I am not going to bash him for somthing that I would also do...
_________________

Receivers beware of the Bash Brothers!

Much props to edar1386 for the sig...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
yuppy


Joined: 15 Sep 2006
Posts: 2426
Location: THE Hawkeye Nation!!!
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gawd i hope the next time his name ends up in the news is the first time he's HoF eligible and doesn't even get 7% of the votes.
_________________
Hawkeyes: 5-5; Raiders 2-6
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Night Angel


Joined: 22 Jan 2007
Posts: 7022
Location: Allentown, PA
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

South_FL_cowboy wrote:
I'm sorry, I dont get all the Tiki hate... The guy is doing what many people do when they dont like their boss, and thats quit and move on to other things. Confused

I hated Tiki when he played but I am not going to bash him for somthing that I would also do...


The question is when do you let it go? Is he going to bad mouth him to the grave? I never bad mouthed a boss this much, what 8 months after I left the job? He voiced his opinion, it was heard, Coughlin never lashed back, so drop it already. Its not like people dont already know what you are going to say?

I will probably like Tiki just fine once he actually talks about something other than his playing days and how horrible a coach he had. Its an old song, stop singing it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
AnAngryAmerican


Joined: 23 Apr 2006
Posts: 18523
Location: Loveland, CO
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Mercury22 that Tom Coughlin has a well deserved reputation for being a hard nosed guy. It's well documented his players do not like him and many of them, Tiki included, have not liked playing for him in NY. The veterans this is especially the case because if you recall Jim Fassell was well known as a "player's coach" and was well liked by most who played for him.

That said, Tiki is incredibly arrogant and just by reading some of the responses to the various Tiki-themed posts on FF, he is losing the respect of many fans. Yes he is doing his job, or part of it, by stirring up controversy and making noise, but there is a such thing as loyalty to your fomer teammates, Tiki seems to have forgotten that starting last season.
_________________
big_palooka:

Broncos CSU Rams Rockies Tiger Woods
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
chiefRoyal


Joined: 09 Jan 2007
Posts: 657
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To barrow a phrase from Artie Lang..."whaaaaaaaaa". Somebody needs to advise Tiki to shut his damn overpaid fumblin mouth already. If I ever here from that big baby again it will be to soon. "I would have stayed if I wasn't such a little wimp". Get over yourself dude. Since when did you become bigger then the other 52 players on that team combined. I would let Coughlin beat me to a pulp for a 1% of what Tiki made.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
South_FL_cowboy


Joined: 30 Mar 2007
Posts: 95
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Night Angel wrote:
South_FL_cowboy wrote:
I'm sorry, I dont get all the Tiki hate... The guy is doing what many people do when they dont like their boss, and thats quit and move on to other things. Confused

I hated Tiki when he played but I am not going to bash him for somthing that I would also do...


The question is when do you let it go? Is he going to bad mouth him to the grave? I never bad mouthed a boss this much, what 8 months after I left the job? He voiced his opinion, it was heard, Coughlin never lashed back, so drop it already. Its not like people dont already know what you are going to say?

I will probably like Tiki just fine once he actually talks about something other than his playing days and how horrible a coach he had. Its an old song, stop singing it.


You act as if this is something that he just said today. It's in his book! There is no telling how long ago he wrote it. You cant try to make it seem like he just bashed the guy today, it's in a book he wrote about his life and career. Im sure he should be able to comment on why he left the game in his book right?
_________________

Receivers beware of the Bash Brothers!

Much props to edar1386 for the sig...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GEE MEN


Joined: 16 Mar 2007
Posts: 4097
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mercury22 wrote:
^^I understand your point, but I suspect Tiki believes he is doing this for the good of his former teammates who probably all hate their boss.

I once worked at a record store, where the boss was a total and complete (insert bad word of your choice). She was unbearable. She yelled at even the best employees and made life a living hell. As a result I quit, when I did I wrote a nice little letter to the corporate office letting them know how abusive the boss was. In my case, they investigated, fired the boss and hired me back with a raise and a promotion. I don't suspect that Tiki is hoping to come back to the Giants, but I do suspect he is trying to get Coughlin fired and rescue his former teammates.

Grown men that do their jobs don't deserve to be constantly berated and harrassed by their boss. I don't blame Tiki one bit, and if you've followed Coughlin's career at all, you'd know that players have wanted to choke him out for a long, long time. Barber is the first to truly take him on.


Sorry, but while some have felt that way, others appreciate and respect the coach, including our pro bowl LB Antonio Pierce. Tiki should grow up and shut up. He's not trying to look out for anyone (not his teammates), he is looking to further his own career at the expense of his teammates and former coaches. Did you know that before Coughlin arrived Tiki was an average RB who was likely on his way to being cut because he had a case of fumbleitis? Did you know that (and Tiki readily admits it) that it was Coughlin who PERSONALLY fixed it for him and made him the (HOF?) player that he is? Tiki had his best years unders Coughlin with all of his rules. Before that, Tiki may have "liked" his coaches because they coddled him and had soft camps, but if it wasn't for Coughlin (and a very good run-blocking OLINE), many wouldn't even know Tiki for the player he was that last couple of years. For 7 years he was part average and part laughing stock with his fumbling problem...I know I lived through it at the stadium. Along came Coughlin and saved his career (yes even Tiki has admitted as much). There is no reason or excuse for what Attim Kiambu is doing other than for personal gain and it's pathetic. The Curtis Martin's of the world would never do something like that...those type of guys are all class.
_________________


Desperado82 wrote:
I will never defend Romo again. I'm done. We may only have a shot at the playoffs or what have you because of him, but he will NEVER put us over the hump.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Zukhyubern


Joined: 23 Dec 2006
Posts: 4391
Location: Chicago
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mercury22 wrote:
Wow, I am shocked at all the Tiki Hate. Tom Coughlin has long been known as the harshest task master in the NFL and has been despised by his players since he stepped foot on the gridiron. He fines players if they are not EARLY to meetings. Yes, thats right, if you have a meeting at 5pm, you are considered late if you are not early. At one point, when he coached Jacksonville, players were not allowed to take helmets off on the sidelines. Tiki is simply saying what players have wanted to say for over a decade. Stahan apparently feels the same way about Coughlin by not showing up. Plaxico and Shockey both called Coughlin out last year. Where is the hate for those guys? And why does Coughlin get a pass?
Who cares? Tiki should just drop it and stop whining. If he was such a great player, he would just suck it up and not let some hot headed coach "ruin the joy in football" for him. That's just absolutely ridiculous. I've never known what to think about Tiki, but now I just think he drives me crazy.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mercury22


Most Valuable Poster (1st Ballot)

Joined: 23 Feb 2005
Posts: 12788
Location: the 50 yard line
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GEE MEN wrote:
Mercury22 wrote:
^^I understand your point, but I suspect Tiki believes he is doing this for the good of his former teammates who probably all hate their boss.

I once worked at a record store, where the boss was a total and complete (insert bad word of your choice). She was unbearable. She yelled at even the best employees and made life a living hell. As a result I quit, when I did I wrote a nice little letter to the corporate office letting them know how abusive the boss was. In my case, they investigated, fired the boss and hired me back with a raise and a promotion. I don't suspect that Tiki is hoping to come back to the Giants, but I do suspect he is trying to get Coughlin fired and rescue his former teammates.

Grown men that do their jobs don't deserve to be constantly berated and harrassed by their boss. I don't blame Tiki one bit, and if you've followed Coughlin's career at all, you'd know that players have wanted to choke him out for a long, long time. Barber is the first to truly take him on.


Sorry, but while some have felt that way, others appreciate and respect the coach, including our pro bowl LB Antonio Pierce. Tiki should grow up and shut up. He's not trying to look out for anyone (not his teammates), he is looking to further his own career at the expense of his teammates and former coaches. Did you know that before Coughlin arrived Tiki was an average RB who was likely on his way to being cut because he had a case of fumbleitis? Did you know that (and Tiki readily admits it) that it was Coughlin who PERSONALLY fixed it for him and made him the (HOF?) player that he is? Tiki had his best years unders Coughlin with all of his rules. Before that, Tiki may have "liked" his coaches because they coddled him and had soft camps, but if it wasn't for Coughlin (and a very good run-blocking OLINE), many wouldn't even know Tiki for the player he was that last couple of years. For 7 years he was part average and part laughing stock with his fumbling problem...I know I lived through it at the stadium. Along came Coughlin and saved his career (yes even Tiki has admitted as much). There is no reason or excuse for what Attim Kiambu is doing other than for personal gain and it's pathetic. The Curtis Martin's of the world would never do something like that...those type of guys are all class.


That is one way to look at the situation. However, to say Tiki was on his way out of the league, is not at all close to reality. Yes, he had fumble problems, no doubt, but his skill level was never in question and had NY been foolish enough to part ways with Tiki he would have undoubtedly caught on elsewhere. Another way to look at it is that the all time leading rusher of the Giants could still be in the backfield if the brass had only listened to the numerous calls for the coaches head. You also would have had a full preseason with Strahan this year. You may also have a more motivated top WR. Pierce may like Coughlin but finding one guy out of the legions that have despised Coughlin hardly changes my view of him. I'm not saying Tiki is blameless here, hardly. What I am saying is that the sea of criticism against Tiki Barber is unfair in comparison to the trickle of criticism levied against one of the biggest asses and least respected men in football in Tom Coughlin.
_________________
"22 players are involved in every football play. To value precisely the activity of one of them, it is first necessary to account for the actions of the other 21"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Enrage


Most Valuable Poster
Joined: 14 Dec 2005
Posts: 15186
Location: Seoul Searchin'
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tiki could learn a lesson from Barry Sanders. When Barry was unhappy with the team, he simply retired. He never badmouthed the team or whined and complained. He didn't make himself a spectacle.

Barry = Pure class
Tiki = No class
_________________
DontTazeMeBro wrote:
Losers should not get pizza.


The Mégane Experiment wrote:
Do you know why this is better than France? The French don't live here..
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GEE MEN


Joined: 16 Mar 2007
Posts: 4097
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enrage wrote:
Tiki could learn a lesson from Barry Sanders. When Barry was unhappy with the team, he simply retired. He never badmouthed the team or whined and complained. He didn't make himself a spectacle.

Barry = Pure class
Tiki = No class


Couldn't have put it better myself.
_________________


Desperado82 wrote:
I will never defend Romo again. I'm done. We may only have a shot at the playoffs or what have you because of him, but he will NEVER put us over the hump.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GEE MEN


Joined: 16 Mar 2007
Posts: 4097
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mercury22 wrote:
GEE MEN wrote:
Mercury22 wrote:
^^I understand your point, but I suspect Tiki believes he is doing this for the good of his former teammates who probably all hate their boss.

I once worked at a record store, where the boss was a total and complete (insert bad word of your choice). She was unbearable. She yelled at even the best employees and made life a living hell. As a result I quit, when I did I wrote a nice little letter to the corporate office letting them know how abusive the boss was. In my case, they investigated, fired the boss and hired me back with a raise and a promotion. I don't suspect that Tiki is hoping to come back to the Giants, but I do suspect he is trying to get Coughlin fired and rescue his former teammates.

Grown men that do their jobs don't deserve to be constantly berated and harrassed by their boss. I don't blame Tiki one bit, and if you've followed Coughlin's career at all, you'd know that players have wanted to choke him out for a long, long time. Barber is the first to truly take him on.


Sorry, but while some have felt that way, others appreciate and respect the coach, including our pro bowl LB Antonio Pierce. Tiki should grow up and shut up. He's not trying to look out for anyone (not his teammates), he is looking to further his own career at the expense of his teammates and former coaches. Did you know that before Coughlin arrived Tiki was an average RB who was likely on his way to being cut because he had a case of fumbleitis? Did you know that (and Tiki readily admits it) that it was Coughlin who PERSONALLY fixed it for him and made him the (HOF?) player that he is? Tiki had his best years unders Coughlin with all of his rules. Before that, Tiki may have "liked" his coaches because they coddled him and had soft camps, but if it wasn't for Coughlin (and a very good run-blocking OLINE), many wouldn't even know Tiki for the player he was that last couple of years. For 7 years he was part average and part laughing stock with his fumbling problem...I know I lived through it at the stadium. Along came Coughlin and saved his career (yes even Tiki has admitted as much). There is no reason or excuse for what Attim Kiambu is doing other than for personal gain and it's pathetic. The Curtis Martin's of the world would never do something like that...those type of guys are all class.


That is one way to look at the situation. However, to say Tiki was on his way out of the league, is not at all close to reality. Yes, he had fumble problems, no doubt, but his skill level was never in question and had NY been foolish enough to part ways with Tiki he would have undoubtedly caught on elsewhere. Another way to look at it is that the all time leading rusher of the Giants could still be in the backfield if the brass had only listened to the numerous calls for the coaches head. You also would have had a full preseason with Strahan this year. You may also have a more motivated top WR. Pierce may like Coughlin but finding one guy out of the legions that have despised Coughlin hardly changes my view of him. I'm not saying Tiki is blameless here, hardly. What I am saying is that the sea of criticism against Tiki Barber is unfair in comparison to the trickle of criticism levied against one of the biggest asses and least respected men in football in Tom Coughlin.


Not sure what you are referring to I never indicated that he'd be out of the league, but the only reason why he wasn't cut by the Giants was because of Coughlin. He was on a major bubble and who knows if he had gone to another team whether his fumbling woes would have continued. Hindsight is 20/20 my friend Smile. You don't know that another coach could have fixed Attim's problem. You make your "foolish" statement based upon his production after his fix. Rewind back to then and every Giants fan and most fans in general thought this guy was done! He may have had an opportunity elsewhere, but there's no telling if he would have continuned fumbling or not. We'll never know, but in any event he should be much more appreciative of Coughlin for saving his career and allowing him to do what he's doing now than look to trash the team, his teammates and coach.
_________________


Desperado82 wrote:
I will never defend Romo again. I'm done. We may only have a shot at the playoffs or what have you because of him, but he will NEVER put us over the hump.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mercury22


Most Valuable Poster (1st Ballot)

Joined: 23 Feb 2005
Posts: 12788
Location: the 50 yard line
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GEE MEN wrote:
Mercury22 wrote:
GEE MEN wrote:
Mercury22 wrote:
^^I understand your point, but I suspect Tiki believes he is doing this for the good of his former teammates who probably all hate their boss.

I once worked at a record store, where the boss was a total and complete (insert bad word of your choice). She was unbearable. She yelled at even the best employees and made life a living hell. As a result I quit, when I did I wrote a nice little letter to the corporate office letting them know how abusive the boss was. In my case, they investigated, fired the boss and hired me back with a raise and a promotion. I don't suspect that Tiki is hoping to come back to the Giants, but I do suspect he is trying to get Coughlin fired and rescue his former teammates.

Grown men that do their jobs don't deserve to be constantly berated and harrassed by their boss. I don't blame Tiki one bit, and if you've followed Coughlin's career at all, you'd know that players have wanted to choke him out for a long, long time. Barber is the first to truly take him on.


Sorry, but while some have felt that way, others appreciate and respect the coach, including our pro bowl LB Antonio Pierce. Tiki should grow up and shut up. He's not trying to look out for anyone (not his teammates), he is looking to further his own career at the expense of his teammates and former coaches. Did you know that before Coughlin arrived Tiki was an average RB who was likely on his way to being cut because he had a case of fumbleitis? Did you know that (and Tiki readily admits it) that it was Coughlin who PERSONALLY fixed it for him and made him the (HOF?) player that he is? Tiki had his best years unders Coughlin with all of his rules. Before that, Tiki may have "liked" his coaches because they coddled him and had soft camps, but if it wasn't for Coughlin (and a very good run-blocking OLINE), many wouldn't even know Tiki for the player he was that last couple of years. For 7 years he was part average and part laughing stock with his fumbling problem...I know I lived through it at the stadium. Along came Coughlin and saved his career (yes even Tiki has admitted as much). There is no reason or excuse for what Attim Kiambu is doing other than for personal gain and it's pathetic. The Curtis Martin's of the world would never do something like that...those type of guys are all class.


That is one way to look at the situation. However, to say Tiki was on his way out of the league, is not at all close to reality. Yes, he had fumble problems, no doubt, but his skill level was never in question and had NY been foolish enough to part ways with Tiki he would have undoubtedly caught on elsewhere. Another way to look at it is that the all time leading rusher of the Giants could still be in the backfield if the brass had only listened to the numerous calls for the coaches head. You also would have had a full preseason with Strahan this year. You may also have a more motivated top WR. Pierce may like Coughlin but finding one guy out of the legions that have despised Coughlin hardly changes my view of him. I'm not saying Tiki is blameless here, hardly. What I am saying is that the sea of criticism against Tiki Barber is unfair in comparison to the trickle of criticism levied against one of the biggest asses and least respected men in football in Tom Coughlin.


Not sure what you are referring to I never indicated that he'd be out of the league, but the only reason why he wasn't cut by the Giants was because of Coughlin. He was on a major bubble and who knows if he had gone to another team whether his fumbling woes would have continued. Hindsight is 20/20 my friend Smile. You don't know that another coach could have fixed Attim's problem. You make your "foolish" statement based upon his production after his fix. Rewind back to then and every Giants fan and most fans in general thought this guy was done! He may have had an opportunity elsewhere, but there's no telling if he would have continuned fumbling or not. We'll never know, but in any event he should be much more appreciative of Coughlin for saving his career and allowing him to do what he's doing now than look to trash the team, his teammates and coach.


Coughlin didn't "save" Tiki's career. Thats my point. Yes, he may have been instrumental in helping Tiki solve a fumbling problem, but that's what coaches are supposed to do. That does not grant him carte blanche to abuse a grown man and be the strictest task master in the NFL. Tiki owes Coughlin nothing. Coughlin gets a pay check like everyone else to do his job. His job was to help Tiki stop fumbling. Apparently he did that very small portion of his job. He certainly isn't getting coach of the year for helping Tiki slow the number of fumbles. Tiki gets credit for his own career and he will be remembered long after Tom Coughlin is gathering dust in an old folks home. And Tiki not only has the right to speak out about what a jerk of a coach Coughlin is, but he now has a duty considering that is what he is paid to do. If the Giants and their fans are sick of Tiki, fine. But the real story here is not what a jerk Tiki is, but what a jerk Tom Coughlin is and has been over the length and entirety of his career.
_________________
"22 players are involved in every football play. To value precisely the activity of one of them, it is first necessary to account for the actions of the other 21"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group