Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Cowher not to coach again?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:23 pm    Post subject: Cowher not to coach again? Reply with quote

Although heís only 50, Cowher insists he doesnít plan to coach again, but knows better than to completely close the door.

ďIn all honesty, I hope I donít coach again. I have no plans to do it,Ē said Cowher, in Los Angeles to promote DirecTVís NFL Sunday Ticket. ďI donít ever want to say never. I donít want to be a hypocrite. But I have no plans to coach again and I can honestly say I donít see it happening in the near future.Ē

Cowher and his wife, Kaye, have two daughters at Princeton, Meagan and Lauren. And their youngest daughter, Lindsay, is a junior in high school in Raleigh, N.C. He said if the expected offers are made, it would be flattering, but thereís no way heíd consider coaching before Lindsay finishes high school.

ďIím not going to walk out of her life,Ē he said. ďItís nice to have options. Itís hard to say what the future holds. I donít have any long-term plans.Ē

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20592238/

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
gibbythemute

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He said all the right words, but he will coach again.

titansNvolsR#1 wrote:
I'm scared. We've poked the beast and He's now arose.
jagz4life

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He will... he loves it too much and he's too young to just quit now and watch.
boston9089

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im actually really happy that he wont coach for atleast the next two years. A lot of people think a team he would go to is the Panthers and since he runs the 3-4 defense, I dont want him to come in here and put a new systme on a bunch of 4-3 players or rebuild.
HeySteelers

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boston9089 wrote:
Im actually really happy that he wont coach for atleast the next two years. A lot of people think a team he would go to is the Panthers and since he runs the 3-4 defense, I dont want him to come in here and put a new systme on a bunch of 4-3 players or rebuild.

It's a three hour drive from Raleigh to the Carolina Stadium..
I highly doubt he would coach their.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HeySteelers wrote:
boston9089 wrote:

That doesn't mean anything. Many people have more than one home.
Blaze

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

he will coach again, i dont doubt it/

TexanNation Roast http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=237149
HeySteelers

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

panthersfo'life wrote:
HeySteelers wrote:
boston9089 wrote:

Very true but to me it doesn't make sense.
The reason he said he quit is to spend some time with his family.
Having a home three hours away from his family just doesn't make sense to me.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But a lot of former players and coaches miss the game and want to return so it shouldn't come as a suprise he may come back.

TexanNation Roast http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=237149
boston9089

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HeySteelers wrote:
panthersfo'life wrote:
HeySteelers wrote:
boston9089 wrote:

Very true but to me it doesn't make sense.
The reason he said he quit is to spend some time with his family.
Having a home three hours away from his family just doesn't make sense to me.

He just says he wants to watch his last daughter go through her final years of highschool. So in 2-3 years he will most likely be back coaching, unless he's crazy and watches her go through college too.
2105 yards

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

according to Ben Roethlisberger, some of the Steelers think he will come back to coach the Browns...

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/20472
Irish 11

Most Valuable Poster

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I said this back in July when he was rumored to be the choice du jour for the Giants job if/when Coughlin is fired:

Irish 11 wrote:
I actually think Cowher will be content to do the TV gig for a few years. It's easy money for him to do very little work and he can "recharge" for as long as he feels is necessary before making a comeback, if he desires.

I really think he was sincere in his desire to spend time with his wife and daughters. Anyone who watched the first half of the Steelers season last year could see that his heart wasn't in it and I think it will take him some time to find that passion again.

Plus, I only think he'll come back to the right situation -- strong, competent ownership, control over player/personnel decisions and a tradition of winning. He's too into his own image to risk it by taking on a total rebuilding project that he might not be successful at.

So, in short, I don't think he'll coach in '08 and its too early to speculate which team he eventually ends up with -- if he does in fact decide to coach again. John Madden quit early and never went back. It took Dick Vermeil 15 years to decide he wanted to coach again. There's no guarantee that Cowher is cut from the Parcells/Schottenheimer cloth and feels the need to coach in his bones.

I still believe this is true and dont' think he'll rush back to the NFL just because the Browns job has come open again.
Eagles $5$

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2105 yards wrote:
according to Ben Roethlisberger, some of the Steelers think he will come back to coach the Browns...

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/20472

I heard that on NFL Network, and I think it can be a good fit for Cowher. He is going to have a young QB in Brady Quinn, and a pretty young team and needs to have that touch to be a good team.

TommyC376 on the Sig
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually watched another interview he did for the post gazzette. He said the same thing, that he doesnt plan on coaching again right now. I have no doubt he will come back someday, but it definitely wont be next year or the next...maybe 2011 or 2012, right around the time the Browns will be looking for ANOTHER head coach.

He seemed very happy, and said he was enjoying doing the whole football TV analyst gig. They asked him if he would ever return to coach the Steelers down the road, and he said anything could happen. I see Mike Tomlin doing well, but if he doesnt, I wouldnt be shocked to see BillCo back on the Steelers sidelines.

Its hard to say right now who will need a coach in 3-4 years and what teams he'd be willing to coach for. I dont think he will ever coach the Redskins as long as Snyder is running the show, so maybe the Giants, Cowboys or Browns if they need a coach in a few years.
eaglesfan536890

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he'll definitely coach again. He loves the game way to much to leave it for a long period of time, I think he'll definitely be back soon. 2 seasons tops.

ryknowssd on the sig
Bird Watch: Brodrick Bunkley

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: