Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Source: Raiders close to deal with Russell
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jagz4life

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:46 pm    Post subject: Source: Raiders close to deal with Russell Reply with quote

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3006376

I'd say its about time...
eaglesfan536890

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I can say is, it's about time! I hope he gets signed soon.

ryknowssd on the sig
Bird Watch: Brodrick Bunkley
Tzimisce

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it really even matter at this point? The odds of him seeing more than a few snaps worth of playing time this year is practically nil, now that he's missed all of TC.

BlaqOptic wrote:
I dont care that that little girl was adorable... I'll punch her in the face!
theJ

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me be the 48938409483th person to say, "The Raiders blew it."

How do you not even get a guy signed in time before the final roster cutdowns? Ridiculous. This has pretty much assured that Russell won't play this year, and that he will not have leg up in the QB race next year.

Don't follow your passion, take your passion with you.
Tzimisce

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really think the league needs to enforce some kind of timetable for signing top-5 picks. The Texans, whether you liked the selection or not, saved themselves a lot of trouble by coming to terms with Mario Williams before the draft.
Either punish the teams with forfeiture of picks in the next draft, or punish the players and agents with fines for failing to sign by the 2nd week of camp... or both.
Rookie salaries are out of control as it is, so maybe that will act as a deterrent to keep high picks from demanding an exorbitant amount of money.

Or hell, why not just set a non-negotiable pay scale for rookie deals, with contract length being the lone variable? With the salary cap in place, that should make things a lot more interesting vis-a-vis pre-draft dealing.

BlaqOptic wrote:
I dont care that that little girl was adorable... I'll punch her in the face!
GiantRutgersFan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tzimisce wrote:
I really think the league needs to enforce some kind of timetable for signing top-5 picks. The Texans, whether you liked the selection or not, saved themselves a lot of trouble by coming to terms with Mario Williams before the draft.
Either punish the teams with forfeiture of picks in the next draft, or punish the players and agents with fines for failing to sign by the 2nd week of camp... or both.
Rookie salaries are out of control as it is, so maybe that will act as a deterrent to keep high picks from demanding an exorbitant amount of money.

Or hell, why not just set a non-negotiable pay scale for rookie deals, with contract length being the lone variable? With the salary cap in place, that should make things a lot more interesting vis-a-vis pre-draft dealing.

I dont think anyone wants the NFL to be like the NBA. there is way, way too much trading in the NBA.

I like how NFL rosters stay intact for the most part (with meaningful players, not guys barely making the roster)
daineraider

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theJ wrote:
Let me be the 48938409483th person to say, "The Raiders blew it."

How do you not even get a guy signed in time before the final roster cutdowns? Ridiculous. This has pretty much assured that Russell won't play this year, and that he will not have leg up in the QB race next year.

actually Russell blew it i bet they settle on the 66 mil with 31 mil guaranteed they were offering hiim in the first place now he gets the same money but no chance of starting and he could have been playing already Raiders are not going to pay him 10 mil more than Mario got last year and i dont think they should
silus

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They should just let him enter next years draft. Some drafted players tell their agents to get them on the field as soon as possible. Some want the best deal possible, whatever it takes. I prefer the Raiders get guys who lean more towards playing the game, rather than making a couple mill more.
GiantRutgersFan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tzimisce wrote:

I dont think anyone wants the NFL to be like the NBA. there is way, way too much trading in the NBA.

I like how NFL rosters stay intact for the most part (with meaningful players, not guys barely making the roster)
dtwizzy2k5

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GiantRutgersFan wrote:
Tzimisce wrote:

Umm...why did you post that twice?

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=4032056&sid=46043bada13909aa3b3823c562cb2514#4032056 CLICK THE LINK FOR MY LATEST MOCK DRAFT
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jagz4life

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This really is ridiculous... you have the first pick, you need to actually use it.

Usually the first pick is the first to sign... not the last.
81_80_39_28_10

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GiantRutgersFan wrote:
Tzimisce wrote:

I actually think that its a great idea... of course there is alot more to it but to me it makes sense

I think that the contracts of all of these rookies is just getting out of hand... I mean alot of the rookies are getting paid a good if not better the the 28 year olds that are the best at their position. If we had a set scale the NFL club could offer the player a 3,4,5, ect. year deal at the set salary. Then when the club thinks that the player has earned more money they can give them a bigger contract instead of throughing all of this money at these rookies because they have the POTENTIAL to be great...

Thanks Lionsmack for the sig!
Blaze

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

his butt should have been in camp.

TexanNation Roast http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=237149
Buckeyeboy89

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jagz4life wrote:
This really is ridiculous... you have the first pick, you need to actually use it.

Usually the first pick is the first to sign... not the last.

the first pick is hardly ever the first to sign last year was a fluke. The first pick always want big time money but JR is being ridicouls.

I think that RG should make a standar rookie contract and do the guranteed money based on where your picked and everything else based on incentives and playing time. If you think your worth big time money prove it on the field. It is ridicouls for some one to get 20+ mil in guranteed before they ever take a snap in the NFL.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hows this the Raiders fault at all?? Sucks no one before Al Davis has put their foot down about the outrageous contracts rookies are getting. We'll most likely be the team that has to sacrifice the most (JaMarcus Russell very lengthy holdout) for the NFL to change this unfair system. I think this will end up being something good for Al Davis as he'll be known around the NFL for being the first to put an end to the madness. He's already seen what missing on one draft pick can do (Robert Gallery), why risk 35 MILLION DOLLARS for a player who hasn't taken a snap yet?? I still think JR's going to be a stud for us, I just think his camp will end up being the side that caves. Al Davis isn't going to let a messed up NFL system and an unproven rookie control how he runs things

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: