Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Source: Raiders close to deal with Russell
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
xmike609x

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually think this will be beneficial down the road.

He'll be able to sit for a year (maybe) and learn the ropes behind a guy who is basically the same person as him in Culpepper.

He wont get thrown into the fire like so many other top pick QB's have.

History shows that QBs who sit a year (Philip Rivers, Carson Palmer) are more successful than those who are thrown right into the starting line-up (Harrington, Couch, ect.)
danielfolio

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Clayton said on NFL Live today that there is a 5mil difference in the guaranteed money offer. I don't see how that is "close" or how JR/hisagent are expecting to get 35mil. This guy was a huge waste of a pick. Had they taken Joe Thomas, they would have started a lengthy process of shoring up that O Line. Coming in last place again, they could have taken Jake Long in 08. Now, they have nothing to show for it aside from a great 2nd round pick in M Bush.

Brains Shell wins again!
#1RAIDER FAN

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

danielfolio wrote:
John Clayton said on NFL Live today that there is a 5mil difference in the guaranteed money offer. I don't see how that is "close" or how JR/hisagent are expecting to get 35mil. This guy was a huge waste of a pick. Had they taken Joe Thomas, they would have started a lengthy process of shoring up that O Line. Coming in last place again, they could have taken Jake Long in 08. Now, they have nothing to show for it aside from a great 2nd round pick in M Bush.

Brains Shell wins again!

So you would have taken Joe Thomas this year and Jake Long the next? Wow.

Oh annd Bush was a 4th round pick.
G

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say we sign him next year after the season ends to a 6 year contract. Twisted Evil That way we get 2 first round picks next year. In a messed up kind of way. Laughing He loses 10 mil and possible endorsements. THAT would teach hold outs a lesson without changing the system. Twisted Evil I think I need my meds. Laughing Very Happy
freakygeniuskid

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xmike609x wrote:

He'll be able to sit for a year (maybe) and learn the ropes behind a guy who is basically the same person as him in Culpepper.

History shows that QBs who sit a year (Philip Rivers, Carson Palmer) are more successful than those who are thrown right into the starting line-up (Harrington, Couch, ect.)

But Peyton Manning was thrown into the fire and he's the best Quarterback in the league right now.

It depends on the individual player and the team situation he's coming into, although in the case of Russel I definitely agree that sitting will be good for him.
DOCLEW 28

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Al Davis sticks to his guns and gets a deal done that benefits the entire league for years to come, the league will once again have to kneel and kiss the ring. And the talking heads certainly do not want to do that again. That's why you see so many of them killing the Raiders for not signing Russell to the type of contract that Calvin Johnson has already agreed to.
T.O.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

freakygeniuskid wrote:
xmike609x wrote:

But Peyton Manning was thrown into the fire and he's the best Quarterback in the league right now.

It depends on the individual player and the team situation he's coming into, although in the case of Russel I definitely agree that sitting will be good for him.

I agree that it's good to learn the nfl game first but he also needs games. You learn more being in the game than on the sideline. But this way he get's to learn with not being seen as the no 1. pick but as a holdout history making clown how dosn't play for a "little" money. I just hope he someday shows he's worth all this.
Gang_Green03

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally Rolling Eyes

We'll see what Russell can do next year.

Its so simple I really don't understand why the NFL hasn't fixed this yet. Just take a page from David Stern and have a set wage the rookies make based on their draft slot. Solves all the problems.
thesickness89

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

man i hate it when rookies dont sign before camp let alone miss all of it

#FIREHOKE2014
yuppy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xmike609x wrote:

I agree with most of that. He did miss training camp, half of it (which makes me afraid) is that he might be lazy. While I agree, he couldn't have a better role model for him in particular, since they are pretty much clones. I also think there might be some locker room hazing that he missed out on some key bonding time with his team. Not only that he is going to be resented b/c he skipped camp and will make more than everyone on the team without taking a snap...

Developmentally wise, it will be half good, the players you listed also made it to camp their rookie year.

i would love to see him come into a game in the 4th quarter when they are down 21 pts and just let him toss the ball 70 yards (cept in the 4th they will never be behind....)
Blaze

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt he would be looked down on much as long as he isn't given a starting spot without earning it. A lot of veterans understand contracts and the business side of the NFL.

TexanNation Roast http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=237149
xtremeskinssuck

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gang_Green03 wrote:
Finally Rolling Eyes

We'll see what Russell can do next year.

Its so simple I really don't understand why the NFL hasn't fixed this yet. Just take a page from David Stern and have a set wage the rookies make based on their draft slot. Solves all the problems.
I can't understand it either. The CBA escalates, so could a rookie salary cap. They could end most holdouts or have a max% guaranteed/ bonus money and end all holdouts. Rookies shouldn't be "commanding" these huge payouts when they haven't played a down in the NFL. Even if the team had to sign them for a 1-2 year rookie deal then get hit with a huge contract atleast they would know what's coming and if their player was worth the $.
Jamethus92

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danielfolio wrote:

Brains Shell wins again!

Wow.

First of all, the reports that the deal was close came from Russell's UNCLE. Now, I wasn't there during the negotiations...but I'm pretty sure Clayton wasn't there. I'd like to think Ray Russell knows just a bit more than John Clayton.

Also, Michael Bush- 100th overall, 4th round.

Also also, Joe Thomas & Jake Long? Are you kidding me?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xmike609x wrote:

Peyton Manning, Troy Aikman and John Elway were thrown in the fire and they turned out all right. It depends if the QB loses confidence like Harrington or Couch then it's going to be a tough ride.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope Russell doesnt see one down in an NFL game this season for this non-sense.

You take your one-time big payout and be done with it...whats the differance I mean weather hes a bust or a hit...hes still gonna make huge money.

I think if anything the Raiders should pass this off as a statement to the NFL that they wont take crap from a 1st round pick in negotiations, although that wont happen.

"When a team outgrows individual performance and learns team confidence, excellence becomes a reality."
--Joe Paterno.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: