Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Kyle Boller Agrees to 1 year extension with Ravens
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dcarey20

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:45 pm    Post subject: Kyle Boller Agrees to 1 year extension with Ravens Reply with quote

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/Common/Article.aspx?id=16742

Quote:
The Ravens shored up their quarterback position into the 2008 season Thursday by signing Kyle Boller to a one-year extension, announced general manager Ozzie Newsome.

Quote:
“I am ecstatic,” he said. “Baltimore is the place I really want to be. The Ravens have the best organization in the NFL, and I feel very fortunate that I’m going to continue to be a part of it. I have a great deal of respect for Mr. Bisciotti, Ozzie Newsome and coach Billick.

“I’m thankful for the confidence they’ve shown in me, and hopefully, I can play here for a long time.”

I have to say I'm a bit surprised it's only a 1 year deal, which will be worth 3 million. I was thinking more along the lines of 2 or 3, but I'm happy Kyle decided to stay around. He's been nothing but a class act since McNair has come here and he deserves it. At the very least we have a top backup who knows the system, and if McNair decides to hang them up after this year, which I don't expect but is a possibility, Boller should get his shot in 2008.

This also puts a damper on the Leftwich to Baltimore rumors. I think that if Kyle would have turned the deal down, then Leftwich would have been brought in. That's why I think the extension was offered now. Alot of Raven fans were against Leftwich. I personally felt it would have been a solid move, but I do think Boller and Leftwich could be considered a wash.

Last edited by dcarey20 on Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
raven5255

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news as far as Im concerned, although I too wouldve prefered something like a 2 or 3 year deal.
kyle21121

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raven5255 wrote:
Good news as far as Im concerned, although I too wouldve prefered something like a 2 or 3 year deal.

Really? You think he can do better a 2nd go round if it comes to that? Or are you happy because he's a solid backup.
BaltimoreTerp

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kyle21121 wrote:
raven5255 wrote:

Really? You think he can do better a 2nd go round if it comes to that? Or are you happy because he's a solid backup.

People wrote Boller off way too early. He was never really given a fair shot to succeed. While he's far from elite and is plagued by inconsistency, he's no bust. Trevor Pryce compared him to JP Losman, and I think that is a pretty accurate comparison, although Losman is a little more consistent from what the two have proven. Both have very strong arms, both were written off very early, and both have mild tunnel vision. Losman has proven to be a pretty good starter in the league. I wouldn't be surprised if Boller could do the same, although I do think a change of scenery might have been good for him.

It's looking more and more like Boller vs. Leftwich for the starting job in 2008.
"The really important kind of freedom involves attention, and awareness, and discipline, and effort, and being able truly to care about other people and to sacrifice for them, over and over, in myriad petty little unsexy ways, every day.”
Blaze

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Ravens are creating competition for the starting gig in the next for years just by conversating with Leftwich

TexanNation Roast http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=237149
jagz4life

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm interesting, not sure what this means for Leftwich.
ninerminer49

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jagz4life wrote:

I think it means he will have to find some place else to go. No one seems to be looking for a QB right now. It's too bad that the Jags let him go so late in the off-season.
jagz4life

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ninerminer49 wrote:
jagz4life wrote:

I think it means he will have to find some place else to go. No one seems to be looking for a QB right now. It's too bad that the Jags let him go so late in the off-season.

Yeah but it shouldn't be too long into the season before a team realizes they need a QB.
Eagles $5$

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that basically says that they are not going to be interested of Leftwich anymore.
(Stating to feel bad for the guy, this is the worst time to find a job)

TommyC376 on the Sig
mattpayne11

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Kyle Boller Agrees to 1 year extension with Ravens Reply with quote

dcarey20 wrote:
Boller should get his shot in 2008.

Boller already had his shot in 2003 and 2004. While he is not a horrible QB, I think he makes a better backup. I know there's a lot of Kyle Boller fanbois on this board, but the reality is, he has never proven to be of elite caliber in this league. Perhaps its the system he's in.

Man, I'd love to make 3 million bucks to be a backup and hold a clipboard =D

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Kyle Boller Agrees to 1 year extension with Ravens Reply with quote

mattpayne11 wrote:
dcarey20 wrote:

Boller already had his shot in 2003 and 2004. While he is not a horrible QB, I think he makes a better backup. I know there's a lot of Kyle Boller fanbois on this board, but the reality is, he has never proven to be of elite caliber in this league. Perhaps its the system he's in.

Boller's shot early in his career wasnt a very fair shot. A lot of Boller fanbois on this board? Maybe the otherway around

When Steve McNair is your quarterback, you have to do more than hold a clipboard as a backup. McNair's future is hardly a sure thing right now. Kyle isnt just some average backup who is just going to stand around.
frazierfan86

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Kyle Boller Agrees to 1 year extension with Ravens Reply with quote

mattpayne11 wrote:
dcarey20 wrote:

How ridiculous is that... Look at how many years he'd been in the league, look at who his WRs were. Now look at how he did coming in last year, and the WRs he had then. He's set to do big things next time he has the chance.

icecoldbruschi wrote:
The Ravens are a poor man's Jets... And Joe Flacco is mediocre.
eaglesfan536890

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's good news. I think Boller can be a very decent backup. But I think they wil still need to draft a QB next year.

ryknowssd on the sig
Bird Watch: Brodrick Bunkley
Newman41

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about Boller being a starter, but I think he can be a very good back-up.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just curious Ravens fans, any thoughts of Troy Smith becoming the franchise quarterback?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: